Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Argue posted:

Furthermore, in games where equipment gives bonuses, they should all have vanity options so that what players actually see can be different from what bonuses you want! Monster Hunter I'm looking at you! I was so angry when I found out that TWEWY didn't actually change any of Neku's clothes when you changed equipment, and I'm only going to buy it on Switch if this glaring flaw is fixed.

I think Monster Hunter World is doing this, finally. If nothing else they're going to have costume armor sets that are separate from your actual stats/skills, but I think it's also going to be a full cosmetic armor/transmog system too. I hope so, at least. One more reason to collect more armor sets even if I don't want their skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Super Mario Odyssey should have had more moons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

Super Mario Odyssey should have had more moons

Super Mario Odyssey is perfect but also should have had more moons

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Super Mario Odyssey is perfect but also should have had more moons

:hai:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder if they might do DLC (they already have a patch coming up) or a SMG2 style sequel. Would kick rear end if they expanded on the Ruined Kingdom.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Either way there better be a boo house in the SMO engine before they move on to the next thing

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Just saw this, which looks interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD1aBGidic4

I finally got to the last level and lord above I am nowhere near good enough to pull off any kind of trick jumps needed to ascend that bugger. I wonder if it's actually a thing? Oh man this is like being seven again.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea there was a video of someone getting up there earlier in the thread. There's nothing up there.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

RCarr posted:

Yea there was a video of someone getting up there earlier in the thread. There's nothing up there.

Great. Now I'm back to being in my 30s and buried in debt. Cheers, The Forums.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Do you have to get every purple coin to get enough souvenirs for the last power moon of that type from Toadette in Muhsroom Kingdom? I’ve got them all except artwork ones now and just trying to figure out how much time I’m about to waste this weekend figuring out which 3 purple coins I missed in each world.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mons Hubris posted:

Do you have to get every purple coin to get enough souvenirs for the last power moon of that type from Toadette in Muhsroom Kingdom? I’ve got them all except artwork ones now and just trying to figure out how much time I’m about to waste this weekend figuring out which 3 purple coins I missed in each world.

Yes, you need them all.

Got a Bowser amiibo? :mario:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

RCarr posted:

Its actually remarkable that there exists an in-bounds area of the game that they didn't anticipate anyone actually reaching somehow.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I actually drove around like 5 different places looking for a Bowser amiibo to polish off the purple coins (when you're missing 3 in a level with 100 it's kind of a daunting prospect) but I just ended up using one of those online map + walkthrough things and it didn't take that long at all to get everything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mons Hubris posted:

No you don't. I missed a ton of purple coins. But I also skipped a bunch of outfits so

You can skip a handful of expensive souvenirs iirc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is it really that hard to find a Bowser amiibo? I think he has a ton of variants, between the Smash Bros one, the Mario one, the Skylanders one (really), and the Odyssey one. Then again down here they don't seem to have the ridiculous shortages that I keep hearing about in the USA.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Ok I did the map approach and yeah it wasn’t that bad. I have a gold Odyssey now, woohoo

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Edit: I got angry at Mario v Rabbids and posted in the wrong thread.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 22, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Are you talking about Mario vs Rabbids?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

pwn posted:

Are you talking about Mario vs Rabbids?

Oh wrong thread!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Honestly, while brutal, that guys video is pretty spot on. Odyssey doesn't even rate as a top 4 Mario game all time for me, whereas the new Zelda, with all it's flaws, was so excellent when it was excellent that it rates much higher relative to other Zelda titles. I hate to say it but in a year or so time I don't think I will even remember much of Odyssey.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 22, 2018

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
that's some good red text

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Everyone's entitled to their opinion I guess, but Tropical Wiggler alone could probably keep Odyssey at the top of my list. Capture Abilities are so drat good.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The Wooded and Luncheon Kingdom races forced me to finally learn how to cap dive. Now I’ve beaten all those goddamned Koopas. I’m one of the cool kids

Just have 100 on jump rope and volleyball, and those two nightmare moons on Dark Side (Bullet Bill hatless) and I’ll be complete

Edit: and the Class S Fucker Race in Snow argh

pwn fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 22, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is it possible to do a 100% run with no captures or is that sheer stupidity

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

alf_pogs posted:

is it possible to do a 100% run with no captures or is that sheer stupidity

That's impossible. There are tons of moons that require you to capture an enemy to get them. The moons in Bowser's Kingdom for example that need the bird to shove its beak in the holes, you can't get them as just regular Mario. Or the Luncheon Kingdom moon with the notes in the lava and you need the Podoboo to reach them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You can't even complete the first world without captures.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The current min capture record just for finishing the game is 15 captures. At minimum the first world needs 1 capture because of the spark pylon at the very end.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its however possible to beat the game without jumping.

Or at least without incrementing Toadette's jump counter.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
HelixSnake has a lot of pretty entertaining videos of him doing challenge runs like the min-capture runs as previously discussed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sK3QszyNa0

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally got moon 880! Last one was that stupid beach volleyball to 100 moon. I don’t think I want to grind out those coins to get 999 moons though. I think I’m done... tonight my profile switched over to 45 hours played. Pretty impressive length for a Mario game IMO

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Finally got moon 880! Last one was that stupid beach volleyball to 100 moon. I don’t think I want to grind out those coins to get 999 moons though. I think I’m done... tonight my profile switched over to 45 hours played. Pretty impressive length for a Mario game IMO

That one was rough, I ended up swapping to two-player mode and just moving around as Cappy to clear it. He moves pretty quick so it was just a matter of constantly maneuvering to be under the shadow before it landed. It isn't fun or fast, but it got the job done.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
So I finally got my Switch this past Monday and cleared the Moon/Bowser/Unlock Mushroom Kingdom portion about a day ago.

I realized at a certain point that the game is so unapologetically Japanese that it's better for just going all-in on that.

I was in a Samurai-era Japanese Kingdom, controlling a Tengu, and fighting a Super Sentai Robot by pecking it to death.

I didn't even have to convince myself to buy in to the concept. SMO is so good at pulling you in on its locales & characters except that black dragon. WTF. Seems like it was a cutting room floor design from Bayonetta or something. that I didn't even think twice.

Korok Seeds: The Game owns

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think we're beyond spoilers, though your thoughtfulness is appreciated.

Bayonetta's a new comparison, usually people say :darksouls:, especially the world you fight it in.

Fun part about the giant robot is that it's made of wooden blocks.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
im a loving idiot, how do i jump up to this thing..

all my wire jumping so far has been accidental and the electric ball isnt even in the capture actions menu!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

my new dog posted:

all my wire jumping so far has been accidental and the electric ball isnt even in the capture actions menu!!!

When you get to bottom-center, flick upwards.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

my new dog posted:

The trick isn't to jump up - but to fall down.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I just got to the Metro world and I feel like this game is a bit of let down after all the rave reviews. I like it, but the design seems more like a Mario tech demo than an actual game. Galaxy 2 was the last Mario I played and I think it blows this out of the water.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I just got to the Metro world and I feel like this game is a bit of let down after all the rave reviews. I like it, but the design seems more like a Mario tech demo than an actual game. Galaxy 2 was the last Mario I played and I think it blows this out of the water.

You’re not even halfway

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I get liking Galaxy more. I think Galaxy 2 is probably the best 3D mario game, too.

I really don't get this 'Tech Demo' meme about Odyssey. It's a different sort of thing to Galaxy, but it is very clearly a fully featured Mario game with at least as much of a plot as usual, mandatory and optional goals and collectibles, fully orchestrated original music, new settings and enemies, fun boss fights..... what's missing? Not different, but missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

my new dog posted:

Just shake your controller whenever you are using those power lines and you will automatically jump off the line to get whatever is near it.

• Locked thread