Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So probably a controversial opinion.

Odyssey isn't doing it for me. I don't know what it is, but with a Mario game I expect to basically want to play the thing constantly and I just can't be bothered most of the time.

I think it's because they've leaned hard into the open world aspect and so many moons seem more like meaningless busywork as opposed to actual fun.

Additionally I've just not had a moment so far where the game has wowed me in the way that 64 or Galaxy did. One I was a kid for sure, but I was 19 when I played Galaxy for the first time and the way antigravity was implemented had my jaw on the floor.

It's a competently done platformer for sure, but I think I much prefer the more focused 64/Sunshine/Galaxy world layouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Mega64 posted:

How far in are you so far? Not saying you'll change your mind by playing more, but a lot of those "Oh wow" moments for Odyssey (at least for me) are in the second half of the main game and the start of the post-game.

I'm at the Wood galaxy, so I don't imagine I'm very far in, but I have every single moon to that point.

I think my other problem is that I find it very unsatisfying to leave a level without having done everything available to me. But in this game that's proving to be pretty ludicrous.

Nina posted:

I kinda expect the biggest point of contention about Mario Odyssey in the long run being about how the game is barely focused on actual mechanical platforming execution and almost entirely about reading the level, knowing your tools and utilizing observation and problem solving. I think they made the right call to set themselves apart from all the execution-focused indie platformers.

It feels like it's a game that's closer to Banjo-Tooie/DK64 than Mario 64.

Edit: To clarify, that's not bad by any means, but it's not usually what I'd look to Mario for.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 5, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

RCarr posted:

You definitely don’t have every moon to that point. Also you being a sperg and being unable to move on until you do everything available is not a valid criticism.

You can say "You're being a sperg," but the reality is that I have a preference against backtracking if I can avoid it. It makes it easier to keep track of what you've done which in turn means you don't accidentally repeat objectives you've already managed. But also, I don't think it's all that uncommon for people to enjoy the feeling of having something finished and out their mind before moving on to the next challenge.

In any case, the climax of New Donk was charming, so I'm certainly still enjoying myself.

Also gently caress yeah 104 jumps.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So I've beaten the game mostly. I'm going to the Dark Side of the Moon tonight. It's been an odd experience. I've gone through playing along, knowing that what I'm playing is objectively good, (the controls are excellent, the challenges in the game are varied and possession acting like powerups would is fine and often interesting) but just feeling unsatisfied with the entire experience and it's really hard to put my finger on why. I noticed this a little when I played through 3D World as well a few years ago.

So I feel like after Galaxy I've probably (unfairly) come to expect Mario 3D games to represent giant steps forward in the way that we conceive of platforming in a 3D space. Galaxy firmly had my jaw on the floor from the moment it started with what it did with 3D space and gravity to alter platforming challenges, but additionally its approach to the worlds and the game represents my favourite understanding of the Mario formula, which is a balance between the straight A-B affairs of 3D World and the open levels of stuff like 64 and Odyssey.

3D World never really does anything new, cat Mario is fun, but there aren't really any big new ideas on 3D platforming that we haven't seen before. That said, it's still absolutely peerless in the way that it approaches what it does do.

Odyssey is in a similar boat. There's nothing here that I've not seen elsewhere in platforming, but additionally, I feel the way it's presented and what it does lends itself more closely to comparisons with Banjo Kazooie, Tooie and DK64. And this is where I think my problem lies.

Banjo Kazooie, is to me, just a better sandbox world platforming experience. It's smaller yes, but I'd say around 70-80 of the jiggies you get are more rewarding than any moons I've got in Odyssey. The characters are more memorable and the levels more diverse. And I think I'm just weird, but it really bothers me that I've been playing a Mario platformer that just isn't the best at what it does. Weirdly enough, I feel like Odyssey and Yooka-Laylee from earlier this year both make the same mistakes in going for a smaller number of worlds with tonnes inside of them over a larger number of worlds with less to do, but a more focused experience.

But it's probably more likely than I'm becoming a codgery old fucker and don't actually know anything.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

raditts posted:

I'm playing through Galaxy now after only having played through the first 3-4 levels previously, and it's a great game but if you honestly believe that Odyssey isn't a huge step forward in terms of exploration and gameplay then you're simply out of your goddamn mind

In terms of exploration, sure and in terms of movement you've got cappy.

But in terms of course design? No way. And that, at least to me, is why I'm buying a Mario game.

There is nothing in Odyssey that even compares to a Gusty Garden Galaxy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Seriously the final challenge in the game is a boss rush?

Christ alive, you have loving moon physics and you choose this?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

violent sex idiot posted:

are there any checkpoints at all in darker side or is it all one shot? im so bad at video games holy poo poo

One shot.

Boss 1, if you hit his hats in the air and hold cappie there you can remove a bunch easy.

Boss 2, if you stay near the edge of the arena you can kill her bombs with cappie before they explode, you can also bounce a bomb into her during the bombing run using cappie.

Boss 4, you can use low grav to just jump on him when he uses hat toss.

As an aside, I have all the non picture moons on dark side, is there anything more challenging left to do?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Great advice for Dark Side, poster above, but you don't seem to be aware there's darkER side too. They are two different places.

Oh poo poo, yeah. My mistake.

Christ I need 500 moons? Just let me do the drat challenge level Nintendo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, and why can't I just plug in the cart and play the end boss right away?

Are BotW and Chrono Trigger the only games that encourage this?

It's more that I've beaten everything that's remotely challenging to me. Hoovering up like 40 extra stars is just busywork.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Darker side report.

This is much better. Although it's all pretty trivial until you get to the "Use this unit that controls like rear end and if you fuckup you die," part.

I'll writeup a guide so far if violent wants one.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's telling that the hardest part about darkest side is dealing with how poo poo the controls are on possessed units.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I pastebinned a guide to Darker Side:

https://pastebin.com/sv0j8YLf

It took me an evening or so to figure out, but most of my deaths were from getting bored and trying to run through quickly and the fireballs handling like poo poo. I found a few ways to bypass stuff that I don't think have been mentioned here.

It has nothing on Champion's Road which took me a full two nights and Grandmaster Galaxy which took me weeks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Macaluso posted:

I want a linear platformer like 3D World but with the stupid jumping poo poo of this game. I want to double jump dive all over a really hard platforming stage. I wish there were more stages in this game that were those kinds of stages

What I really really wanted and was really anticipating was that somewhere in the game there would be a moon that absolutely required the double dive. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

It's great to create such an awesome movement system, but when your game doesn't actually utilise it to its fullest, I find it disappointing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Inescapable Duck posted:

And maybe a moon-themed Rainbow Road, though that might get spoilery.

That already exists!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Taear posted:

I've done everything in the game other than the Koopa Races and the smashy road thing in Dark Side. And skipping.
I'm not bad, I just want to play the way I've done it the rest of the time. What's wrong with that?

It feels like they've gone "okay you've played the entire game with this controller but now we're going to give you a new one just for this bit. Get used to it."

You're correct, it's a bad for a game to be inconsistent like that.

That said, you should also learn how to Triple Jump.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Taear posted:

I dunno - all the other leaderboard stuff allows two players.
And many people will find it easier to coordinate themselves than have to get the second player to jump them at just the right spot. It doesn't feel like it's going to lead to different results at the end of it, you know?

I've tried. And tried. And tried. And tried. It just won't do it when you actually need to. My partner did the koopa race in cascade falls on her own and it took about 30 tries partly because it just wouldn't work sometimes for no real reason.

Okay, break it down. Tell me where it goes wrong. Are you getting the double jump to come out consistently?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I wish streaming and speedrunning had been more prevalent when I was younger.

I find watching people speedrun to be boring as hell, but actually doing that stuff myself is fascinating. I've just not got the time any more to actually dedicate myself to it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

You gotta find one with good narration!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYmqJl4MoNI

Speedrunning is cool, it takes a crazy amount of motor control and reaction time and it makes old games interesting again.

How best to explain my feelings?

I don't like speedrunning as it currently is. You're contingent on having good commentary for a speedrun to be worth watching most of the time. The innate fun of the activity itself is tangential to that.

Why do I find that to be the case? Because 99% of the time, you're watching a person effectively just do drills in their room. Every so often a run might get on pace for a WR, but mostly that's not the case. It would be like if someone made me watch a professional swimmer do 200m sprint trials on their own in a pool. I was a high moderate don't always drown level swimmer myself for a long time, so I can appreciate the technique and skill, but the activity in of itself isn't actually that fun and I'd eventually get bored, even if attempt 10 was nearly a WR.

So why do I find watching swimming at the Olympics interesting? Well, it's obviously because 8-12 people are doing it at the same time and competing against each other to see who wins, which is exciting. So perhaps unsurprisingly, I find speedrun races to be the most interesting variation of speedrunning.

But I also don't think they're all that entertaining. The reasons being that most of the games that get raced are ones which have effectively been "completed," so everyone is just running the same set of strats and it's whoever gets the best RNG or doesn't gently caress up that wins. As WRs are tied not to race performance, but to whatever you do in your room at 1 in the morning, you have no reason to hide pocket strats you've discovered.

In an ideal world (for me) WR speedruns would only be counted during races. People would have reason to hold back pocket strats they'd discovered until raceday to try to win and that would breed a lot more excitement, at least for me.

Perhaps unsurprisingly the things I've enjoyed most recently are the Mario Maker races I've seen going around. They're genuinely really exciting to watch.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

andipossess posted:

I don't know why people are so into removing "filler" moons. Give me more of them, I say. I'd rather have them than that stupid moon with the scrolling background and bullet bills and gravity. It was fun for me to attempt to figure out where they were via increasingly obvious clues--and there was one that still took me forever despite having both Toad and Bird clues (stupid flowing sands hint).

Also, gotta say, I hate how often he brings up trying to "find the fun". It irked me so hard, and I can't really say why.

It depends on what you want.

I'm not sure I want to watch through a 2 hour long criticism, but my own issue with the game is so much of what I did felt hollow because much of it was essentially completely trivial to do.

About halfway through I realised I wasn't having that much fun, but powered to the postgame anyway, buoyed by the occasional moon that had a decent premise behind it. When I did get to the postgame, most of it wasn't actually difficult and what was difficult had less to do with creative design than it did clunky execution. Like, yes, long jumping perfectly 15 times in a row is difficult from an execution standpoint, but it's honestly not that interesting to do.

Exploration is good and non-linearity can be good as well, but I feel like Odyssey decided to go for as much breadth as possible at the expense of any real depth.

Interestingly enough I also wasn't all that hot on 3D world because it was essentially completely linear which I also think isn't really the best way to take Mario.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I committed to watching some of it.

Man gave a shout out to Space Station Silicon Valley, he's good in my book.

Edit: Wait Mushroom Kingdom was available from the start?

Edit2: :thejoke:

Edit3: Yeah I broadly agree with all of this.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 12, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Macaluso posted:

You fools wanting LESS moons. I want more moons. If there was DLC that just added a hundred moons to each of the existing worlds I'd eat that poo poo up. Just stop collecting the moons if you don't like the filler moons you savages

A literal thing I did.

Tell you what.

Make a bunch of the filler moons into blue coins that you need to collect to break past certain blue coin barriers in the game.

Make another set of the filler moons into Cappy tokens that allow cappy to possess creatures based on their strength.

Keep the moons that are based around boss fights/challenge areas/minigames.

Then plan Banjo Kazooie because it achieved this concept better 20 years ago.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Macaluso posted:

Lol just don't collect the moons it's totally optional you don't need all the moons to beat the game

I didn't. I collected exactly 503. The amount needed to see all relevant game content.

Of those 503 I bought around 60. So I collected around 440 moons, or half the moons in the game.

I had no prior ability to assess which moons would be compelling to find and a large portion of the moons are absolute dross. So of 440 moons I collected more than half were things that wouldn't have awarded anything, granted a powerup or something like star bits.

How much great content did I miss because I was burned out by boring moons?

"Don't collect all the moons" is a bad argument because it doesn't identify that a player doesn't know what's going to be in the game before they've played the game.

The Bloop posted:

I too want less totally optional content in my games

Yes, if optional content means main content is worse, then I want less of it.

Zore posted:

yeah this sounds awful

much like banjo kazooie

:frog:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tender Bender posted:

I play Odyssey like mario 64, I only go for big objectives because those are worthy of a reward. Whenever I climb something or break a box and get a moon I throw the loving controller down and yank the power cord out before the Switch can auto save because I loving hate getting a moon for free. It just loving ruins my experience if I get one outside of a worthy challenge. Then the switch autosaves anyway because it's still on in portable mode and I just howl in impotent rage.

No discussing videogames in this thread about discussing a videogame in a forum about videogames!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

alf_pogs posted:

how contrarian and angry do you even have to be to dislike mario odyssey

But I goddamn love Mario! And generally speaking I like what most other people seem to enjoy.

I even recognise that it's masterfully made in fulfilling the objective it starts out with, but it's just not masterfully made for someone of my own mindset.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Why would you ever do that unless you're speedrunning?

What's the point in beating a challenge if you never actually beat the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

The Bloop posted:

Seen and conquered :colbert:

Yup!

• Locked thread