Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm so excited for this game. It may be overtaking the excitement i had for Breath of the Wild. Problem is I've watched every single bit of footage I can find online and I think I've seen too much :smith:

What are you hopes for kingdoms that haven't been announced yet? I want some kind of vertical castle-style level. Maybe a wooden Japanese castle. Tons of roofs to jump between, secret rooms to find inside the castle, etc.

Make this into a Mario level please nintendo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
From reviews and other information I've found out some almost-definitive things about the game like the number of kingdoms, the rough number of moons, number of Cappy transformations, etc.

Dont look here if you don't want to know too much like I do:

The number of kingdoms is almost definitely 14. From the pause menu in the in-store demos, there seems to be 43 souvenirs to collect for your ship. Each kingdom has 3 souvenirs (a sticker and two statues), 3x14=42, with the 43rd one most likely being a final special souvenir for getting 100% or something.

We've seen or heard the name of 11 Kingdoms so far:
- Eight confirmed: Cap, Cascade, Sand, Metro, Wooded, Luncheon, Snow, Seaside
- We've also seen the gameplay of the purple-water tropical area, which is known as Forgotten Isles based on a souvenir sticker seen in some website footage (but this probably isn't the Kingdom name)
- We've seen the names of two more on Amiibo packaging: Lake and Mushroom

On top of all this, there's also a souvenir sticker for some unknown kingdom, featuring clouds — could be a sky kingdom? And a world map released in Japan shows the outline of Isle Delfino from Super Mario Sunshine, but it's not known if this will be a playable kingdom or if it's just an easter egg.

The Edge Magazine review said that the game has almost as many moons as there are Korok seeds in BotW. People are taking this to be in the 800-900 range. If there's 14 Kingdoms each with an average of 60 moons (the Sand Kingdom is known to have 69!) then that's around 840.

If you want to know how much of the Sand Kingdom hasn't been seen yet, in all the footage so far since E3, there's been around 40 moons found. So that's 29 that nobody has uncovered yet!

The number of Cappy transformations is 52. This is confirmed from the pause menu in the in-store demos. In all the footage so far we've seen about 35 of them.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kurtofan posted:

Previous mario 3d famitsu scores for fun

Super Mario 64: 39/40
Super Mario Sunshine: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy 2: 37/40
Super Mario 3D Land: 38/40
Super Mario 3D World: 38/40
Super Mario Odyssey: 39/40

New Super Mario Bros Wii: 40/40

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

WarpDogs posted:

One thing I just realized - we have yet to see a plain ol' grass kingdom. The first kingdom seems to be the Halloween Town looking place, and the default kingdom in all the ads is New Donk City. Even the demo at Target is set in the sand kingdom

without looking it up, that's gotta be the 1st time ever for a mario platformer

Cascade is like a grass and waterfall kingdom

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
3D World was fantastic but I'm so excited we're going back to the style of game where you can explore huge levels and do it all at your own pace.

I hope there's even just one level that approaches the brilliance of Click Clock Wood, the greatest collectathon level of all time.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd love for the next Mario game to be Odyssey 2, a "level pack" style full-sized sequel much like Galaxy 2 was.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The final Bowser fight better be a multi-phase epic where Bowser is possessing all sorts of stuff to attack you and you have to possess all sorts of stuff to fight back then finally Mario and Bowser throw hats at the same time and possess each other and now you're Bowser trying to fight Mario

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Calaveron posted:

Cappy is not a power up, he's a skill

gently caress, when do you think Jump Up Super Star plays? Hopefully not only over the credits, it plays like during a boss fight or something

The recent direct showed the Pauline concert scene as a playable environment.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:siren: https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/10/20/wedding-peach-amiibo-unlocks-bridal-dress-mario/

You can dress Mario in a nice pretty wedding gown, GOTY of the millennium confirmed

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Meowser.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The same guy is streaming again. Apparently he's 25 moons away from unlocking the next post game Kingdom.

Spoiler about a cool post game thing: You also unlock more moons in each world after finishing the game. Sand Kingdom for example goes up to 80-something moons total.

This game is huge.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Random answers There's about 660 moons total. Post game scatters a bunch in previously explored worlds too. Substages it's kind of hard to put a number on as there's a lot all over the danged place but they're mostly unique and varied. I don't know if people have 100% it yet because I haven't yet and I haven't been looking into other reactions to leaked gameplay/whatever. I have no idea on Delfino. Would be interesting at the very least!

There's actually 836 moons. Confirmed by streaming guy who unlocked all the postgame moons for each kingdom.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Random Boss spoilers

In Peach's castle one of the paintings leads to a ruined kingdom where you fight a giant HD dragon with thunder breath. The setting looks somewhat like a souls game.

To clarify:

The painting in Peach's castle is one of many that lead to boss rematches. You actually fight the dragon earlier in the game, before the final 2 main kingdoms. Every boss has a more difficult rematch in the postgame

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Toad King posted:

Managed to get an hour in tonight, and I can confirm the Mario is good.

https://twitter.com/TheToadKing/status/923773251347660803

That's cool and all, but I just flew a bullet bill over there

I've been playing for 10 hours now although I vaguely recall taking a half hour break sometime in there. I have 200 moons which is less than a quarter of the full amount

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Internet Kraken posted:

The 2D sections in this make me miss Mario Maker so much :negative:

Do you need to get all the purple coins in every world to get all the moons/is there a way to locate the ones you are missing?

The dapper Bowser amiibo (which is like the 5th amiibo I've ever bought and now the prize of my collection) highlights coins you've missed. Other than that, not really. Buy the guide?

Edit: oh and as far as I know no reward for all purple coins except being able to get every souvenir and costume.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

PantsBandit posted:

Nintendo has had a loving unbelievable year.

Just looking at how much they've turned around since Twenty-"Federation-Force-and-Amiibo-Festival"-loving-Sixteen is mind-blowing.

Seriously if you told any Nintendo fan in 2016 that in the space of one year Nintendo would suddenly have a hugely successful new console become the must-have item of the year; two GOAT-tier games in core series released to immense critical success; a slew of other great first-party games; a ton of indie and major 3rd-party support beginning to pour in; and the release of one of the best 2D Metroid games yet, plus the announcement of Prime 4...

It would sound like the biggest "yeah, right", eyeroll-worthy bullshit.

I can't wait to see what they do in 2018 :aaaaa:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I can't really pick out a favorite world in this game -- all of the levels are just so bursting with personality and they all have at least one thing I really like.

New Donk City becomes amazing once you can reliably pull off complex jumps between rooftops. There's nothing more satisfying than successfully long jumping, hat throwing, diving, hat throwing again and diving again to clear a big gap.

Wooded Kingdom question: Can you get to the top of the tallest tower? Above the entrance to where the flower-stealing UFO boss was. I've tried getting there with an Uproot but no luck. And the flying lizard dude can't get that high.

Wooded Kingdom question 2: Is there any purpose to the coin-spitting frog thing you can capture in that meadow right near the tallest tower?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Larrymer posted:

Lots of nostalgia and throw backs to the early games (and even some good SM64 ones) which was neat but holy poo poo there's just too much poo poo to collect. And I have no desire to go back to collect poo poo just to get more costumes. :shrug:

"just to"

What if I told you it was the journey that mattered, not the destination :thunk:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You don't need to hold Y or use X at all.

Try this:
Jump, press Y to throw cap, quickly hold ZL then press Y again

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

N-no. This is too real. Delete this.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:siren: This just in!!! :siren:

Someone on reddit said "If you press (Y) while choosing your costume, the game will choose a random one for you, and it will change each time you die."

I have yet to try it to confirm. Anyone else want to? I think it has to be done in the odyssey's wardrobe.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Amppelix posted:

This question, and probably many others, would be answered by people actually reading the very helpful in-game action guide and the controls page.

Who am I kidding people don't even know how to do things games give actual tutorials on sometimes how would anyone read an optional one

See: not telegraphing/"winding up" your sword swings in Skyward Sword. The first boss literally tells you not to do it but everyone is still like "why is my sword swinging the other way???"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Moltrey posted:

I still can't do the jump roping to save my life and will probably never move on from New Donk

You're... allowed... to.... move....... on...............

Don't be a prisoner of your own OCD :psyduck:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Moltrey you should have your switch confiscated so it can be given to some more worthy family who can't afford one or something

Edit: I bet this is you too, isn't it:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 31, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone else find it creepy that the boss of the Ruined Kingdom ends up totally immobile but its eyes still follow you around the room?

I like to think he's just taking to opportunity to reflect on some of his life choices. Like he's utterly exhausted and thinking "fuuuuck, what am I even doing"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

the truth posted:

Holy poo poo. That must have taken hundreds of hours.

It's someone on reddit with extreme OCD and this took them 165 hours apparently. This is their first playthrough still. They have been going since March. They haven't done any story stuff at all yet.

They posted this as if they were proud.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I mean I've heard of emergent gameplay, but that guy needs to emerge from his parent's basement!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. I tried to chuck my hat at it and jump on it. Thats really all I got.

What if you chucked your hat.... but too much?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Snow Kingdom, on first visit I was like "drat this place is miserable and uninviting, not what I was hoping for at all, oh well" then I went down the hole and :aaa: :3: :aaaaa: :3: :aaa:

Now it's up there with Freezeezy Peak for me in terms of winter video game levels.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Zuzie posted:

So when exactly do the NPCs from each of the worlds show up in different places? I've seen a bunch of videos of various NPCs like the New Donk City folk and the Skeletons from the Sand Kingdom hanging out in the Mushroom Kingdom.

When you beat the main game

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Nephzinho posted:

Hit my first moon I can't seem to get. I think I have the solution, use the petal to guide the bullet bill towards the pillar and then cap it as you float below it to get the extra range before exploding, but I can't seem to get Sand Kingdom "East Pillar". Might just be executing what in
I'm trying, and if so I'm psyched for how demanding some of these post game moons are.

The really tall pillar? Later on you get a way to get there easily. After you visit the Lost Kingdom.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Also, bowser seems like he'd make a pretty good husband. He literally goes around the world and picks out the best thing from each place to be at his wedding.

Tell me about it! :kimchi:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bowser is really Peach's gay bff and every so often she helps him out by staging a kidnapping thing because he really just wants Mario to notice him :smith:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Lobster Harmonica posted:

There's also a trending frontpage reddit post going around today where some dude with Parkinson's on a fixed income scrimped and saved for months to afford this game and broke down crying because mandatory motion controls prevent him from being able to play

That had a happy ending though. People were offering to buy him one of the third party controllers that have no gyro controls in them. Then not even that was needed because the dude realised that he could use the Gamecube controller + adapter he already had.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cascade was the most boring for me. Felt really homogenous over the whole map.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LODGE NORTH posted:

Went to New York today. All I got was the Wedding Bowser amiibo and this mother fucker is heavy. Just how I like my Bowsers. Heavy and girthy.

Hell yes :kimchi:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 5, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

veni veni veni posted:

I have no idea how the logistics of bowsers fire blow are supposed to work. I know I can jump it but it seems wildly inconsistent and even if you do it still looks like Mario is right in the fire.

But you don't get hurt so it's good. I think you only get hurt if you're literally on the ground when it passes you.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Waltzing Along posted:

Peach is kinda a bitch. She basically abandons you on the moon.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm upset that they chose some shapes that are almost identical when mirrored. I shouldn't get like 30 points removed because the goomba eyes are probably flipped upside down and swapped, they look practically perfect!

It's easy to tell which eye is which, look where the pupil highlights are.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I got it second try. No post-it note over the screen or anything. Just use your eyes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://nichegamer.com/2017/11/07/massive-overwhelming-and-thick-700-bowser-statue-announced/

Why yes I want a massive, overwhelming and thick Bowser :allears:

• Locked thread