Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As someone with a broke brain/eyes who couldn't play the Galaxy games without getting sick, words cannot express how excited I am to finally play a new proper 3D Mario game where up is up and down is down :toot:

This game is gonna be the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
3D World was a great game but I feel like it was more like a "2D Mario but in three dimensions" than it was a "3D Mario"... does that make sense?

TheHoosier posted:

Holy gently caress I'm glad i'm not the only one. I wanted so badly to like the Galaxy games but the controls and perspective hosed with me badly, and I don't usually have that kind of problem. I might try them again because I know they're incredible games. I'm just glad someone else ran into this

We could start a support group :gbsmith::hf::gbsmith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

3D World was fantastic but I'm so excited we're going back to the style of game where you can explore huge levels and do it all at your own pace.
:same:
3D World was cool and fun but ultimately I've been craving a new Nintendo collectathon 3D platformer since Sunshine. So, you know.. only 15 years of waiting :negative: My body is incredibly ready for the return of this genre.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

yea according to the Giant Bomb vid you can disable them for aiming and all but the 'shake the joycons to fly faster' are hardlocked as motion controls. Dan also did say that they don't really ever NEED to be done, so it's kinda a wash.

that sounds kinda weird and dumb since the Switch is a handheld and shaking your handheld sounds like a bad idea

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The eshop only says "unlocks 27.10" and if that doesn't mean 1 minute after midnight I'm gonna be extremely angry and post bad reviews online sad (and then have fun playing mario tomorrow instead)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Doesn't Nintendo unlock their games at like 9 in the morning?
Oh yeah, that sounds about right :smith:

robot roll call posted:

Nintendo first party games are always 12am EST.
regardless of timezone/region?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The game actually released midnight so uh, that's cool :yeah:

What's not so cool is that apparently there are a whole bunch of moves that you can only do with motion controls. Are there moons (or really, anything more important than coins) requiring the Spin Throw, etc.? I'm extremely baffled that they screw over handheld mode like this. I bought the Switch to play handheld :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

You can spin throw by twirling the stick instead.

:psyduck: why wouldn't they just put this in the move list

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Toad King posted:

Managed to get an hour in tonight, and I can confirm the Mario is good.

https://twitter.com/TheToadKing/status/923773251347660803

How do you jump after your hat like that in mid-air? :aaa:

also camera function should be in every game
https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/923785431950311425

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's cool to see a game inspired by A Hat in Time released so soon. :) Here's hoping for a lot more Hat-in-Time-likes going forward, this new genre shows a lot of promise!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

counterpoint: camera is fine, motion controls are fine

counter-counterpoint: forced motion controls is very dumb for a handheld game and it's weird Nintendo didn't realize this

also I do find myself fighting the camera a lot, which is a shame. I get that it's made for babbies and you're not actually supposed to touch the camera controls and let the game choose where you look, but I hate camera auto adjusting in games as it's the #1 cause of dizziness and headaches for me. It's TYOOL 2017, let us turn off camera auto adjust and control the camera manually. :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I haven’t used any motion controls and I’m doing fine at least

yeah mind you I don't mean forced as in "you literally have to do this to beat the game" but as in "you can only do these things with motion controls".

that said going fast and doing sweet tricks is like 80% of the fun of a 3D platformer like this so it's absurd they would do this

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
shake the controller

shake the controller!

I said shake the loving controller goddamnit

also I'm sure the motion controls are fine if you're playing on a TV with a controller, but don't even try to pretend that it's fine to shake the switch around when you're in handheld mode (aka. literally the selling point of the Switch)

game still good, but wtf nintendo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe later in the game you have to shake your switch nonstop and I am missing that but otherwise I am really bewildered where the omnipresent nonstop motion controls that are absolutely mandatory are.

no one has said they're mandatory to beat the game, just that

Your Computer posted:

going fast and doing sweet tricks is like 80% of the fun of a 3D platformer like this so it's absurd they would do this

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

not an emptyquote

I can't wait for the inevitable "person accidentally slammed their Switch into the ground" stories

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/924063993701875713
the camera feature is the best

https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/924064223457456129
i mean the worst

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think I uncovered some uh, lore

https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/924172067494334464

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

Game is dark as gently caress. Made it to metro city and i went into the cap store and the yellow cap clerk sounds like he is saying "i just want to die" :stare:

heck, same

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

I’m disappointed other peopl don’t seem to like the Broodals as much as I do. There’s something charmingly Looney Tunes about them.

And Rango takes after Goofy. How can you not love that?

No nostalgia factor.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it right that the amiibo costumes are unlockable in game too? Are they scattered throughout or is it one of those "here's something you can spend coins on at the end of the game" thing?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I believe the first moon per shop is an actual moon, named "Shopping in the ______ Kingdom".

I have to buy moons now? I guess even nintendo couldn't stay away from this microtransaction bullshit :rolleyes:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/YourComputerSA/status/924760280403288064

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cobalt Viper posted:

Flick the controller sideways like you're throwing a frisbee.

but don't actually throw the controller please :ohdear:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Futaba Anzu posted:

heh, 27 second? u are like baby

watch this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivw1jp2fLHQ
What are those mid-air twirls? Some motion control thing?

Jarogue posted:

I may have liked the photo mode and Seaside Kingdom too much
there is no "too much" :kimchi:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got past the AESTHETIC Kingdom and into the uh.. stuff after. Game is a masterpiece.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm so emotionally conflicted, I hated New Donk City and the fact that there were real people in a Mario game back when they first announced Odyssey but now I think it's actually amazing :confused:

It's a really good world and the LORE is awesome too (god drat that festival)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

the festival and song were used so much in marketing and i still was wowed by how good that part of the game was

it was powerful

what really did it for me was Pauline saying it's a celebration of New Donk's history and then, y'know, suddenly you're playing Donkey Kong :allears: Jump, man! Biggest grin on my face.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
by the way why am I not seeing more people talking about the fact that Nintendo styled an entire world on Slurms MacKenzie

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga you ran into a race of snail people that lived in woods that produced soda for the rest of the kingdom.

I figured these were either the same snails or a direct homage to them.

The guys making the soda were (french) beanpeople though, not snails?

:goonsay:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I liked the theory someone posted at me that the New Donkians are to Pauline (who's human) what Toads are to Peach :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://my.mixtape.moe/cdurtz.mp4

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not bad, but I don't find it as catchy as the original.
I know right? Just listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrCLBuf0Yec

Jokes aside, I told my mom that a new Mario game like 64 just came out (she loves 64) and she started humming the slide music :3: It's an extremely catchy song.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really think the addition of the cap mechanic does a lot of good for the gameplay

the ethics on the other hand...
there are already articles on this aren't there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

my life is finally complete

• Locked thread