Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Larryb posted:

So what happens if you die with less than 10 coins on hand then? Do you just restart the level?

You spiral into debt and eventually peaches castle gets repossessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'd love to return to Delfino Isle in Odyssey, as sunshine is my favorite mario. Not really expecting it to happen tho. I'm sure we'll get a couple of nice references and that'll be that.

totes going to revisit Peach's Castle though! I hope we can go inside.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
3D Land/World are excellent games, but I feel like if Nintendo continued in that style it would suffer from the same diminishing returns as the NSMB series.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'd say that the "diminishing returns" on NSMB are due to the fact the Wii U didn't sell well to begin with. Even then, NSMBU was one of the system's most successful games, and Mario Maker is essentially an installment of the series because it uses NSMB's overall gameplay.

For all the poo poo NSMB2 got it's the fifth best selling 3DS game of all time, so. There's still an audience there.

There's still steam in 2D Mario. It's one of those cases where the prevailing attitude among fans differs highly from that of the public.
NSMB is a definite money spinner for Nintendo, they seem to have a policy that every console needs its own version of Mario Kart and NSMB.

The NSMBs have all been fine games, but surely it's time for something different. There was a time when every Mario was drastically different. I want something as weird as Mario Land 2 again.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Jesus dude, we know they only made 4 of them, the fact that they wore out their welcome by the 3DS/WiiU installments says a lot about how bland these games are.

I have played them all and enjoyed them a lot, but those last two felt like level packs. You can only release the same game so many times.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Because of a conversation in the general chat thread, I stumbled upon the old Donkey Kong cartoons where Mario (voiced by Peter Cullen) owned a circus and was trying to recapture his slave main attraction, Donkey Kong, with zany Wile E. Coyote-style schemes that always fell apart because Donkey Kong was too clever. Pauline was the animal trainer and Mario's sidekick. I choose to believe this is the backstory to New Donk City.

Also Mario was a racist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIQ2s5dgbOI

Edit: Mario, Pauline, and Donkey Kong start a New Wave band. An evil music producer hypnotizes Donkey Kong to get him to steal a rival band's instruments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbG-R0hwXas
Ha ha neat! I had no idea this thing existed. Pretty hard to find stuff on it though, the CGI DKC show seems to dominate those particular search terms. I'm guessing it was a Hanna-Barbara product what with those recoloured mystery machines from the first clip.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc from other previews Cappy tells Mario they can find a working airship in 'the next kingdom over' so I guess there must be some other way to travel between Cascade and Bonneton? Are they functionally the same kingdom? does Bonneton have it's own purple currency? I don't remember seeing it yet

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What time does the preload unlock? will I be able to play at 00:01 BST?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
oh gently caress midnight unlock baby!

I guess the preloading doesn't require the shop to update, it just checks the date!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

s.i.r.e. posted:

I can't even pull off the circular cap throw when doing the exact same motions as the game shows you. It literally just doesn't work for me. They're bad and I'm glad you can turn them off.
You can do it without motion controls. Just do a spin with the analogue stick and press Y. Just make sure you wait until mario enters his spinning animation.

So far the motion controls are the only thing I dont like about SMO. This poo poo was fine in Galaxy because it only did one thing. Thankfuly most of the motion exclusive moves are garbo. The homing hat is really fucken good though, it really extends cappy's range. Thankfully its the easiest to activate.

Also thanks to the guy who posted about cap jumping out of a dive. You can chain it with long jumps and it rules!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Megasabin posted:

Can you explain how to do this?

To do a dive you press Y after initiating a ground-pound. You have to press it as Mario spins in the air, before he falls.

To do a cap jump out a dive you need to throw the cap beforehand and keep holding Y after you start the dive. You need to be quick, as you can't hold Cappy in place as you have to release Y to activate the dive.

In practice what you do is press Y to throw your cap in mid-air then immediately tap ZR/ZL and then hold Y a split second later. You can pull this off in any situation where you can ground-pound, and while hitting a wall while diving will bonk you, hitting a wall with the cap-jump wont, so you can grab ledges and wallkick out of it too.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

GreatGreen posted:

There are enough unbound or redundant buttons on the controller that all functions could easily be mapped to buttons or button combos if Nintendo wanted.

Everybody defending motion controls are basically saying "well they're not that bad" because that's all they can really say, because literally everybody in this thread knows that actions bound to buttons are faster and more reliable and therefore objectively better. Required motion controls are stupid and not fun.

Why do people feel the need to defend Nintendo on this? Especially considering the game could easily accommodate both motion controls and buttons for everything?

Personally the biggest offense to me is that the hat spin move is not bound to X. Spinning the L stick around a few times and hoping Mario doesn't run into some enemy or into goo or off a ledge before finally breaking into the spin animation so I can do the hat spin move is really a badly designed solution.
I agree with much of this post. While the motion controls aren't required to complete the game there's no reason they can't provide button alternatives for all the moves, it's also not great that there are moves that aren't practical to use in handheld mode. Options are always good, especially accessibility options.

However, the Spin Jump has been in every Mario since Sunshine, and spinning the stick is about as awkward as jerking the controller(s) sideways so it feels like a good alternative to me. That you can spin-cap throw from a spin should definitely have been mentioned in the action guide!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Honestly if you are complaining that moves you find difficult aren't tied to single button presses you're also arguing against an action game having a high skill ceiling.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

GreatGreen posted:

That I disagree with. I think the difficulty in action games should come from the challenge of your character navigating through the world he's in, not from the challenge of you communicating your intentions to the character.

You shouldn't have to alternate pressing the left and right bumpers at the same pace Mario puts one foot in front of the other either.
So you're saying Mario should control like in assassins creed, where you hold a button and your character auto jumps and climbs over everything? The slippery-slope goes both ways, friend.

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't think Mario should have a high skill ceiling for actual move execution, no. Platformers I think work best if the execution requirement is in the platforming, not pulling off the moves. High action game skill ceiling requirements tend to work best for combat-heavy games where pulling off the combos and stringing them together is a major part of the game
I don't see why a high skill ceiling for controlling Mario would negatively effect the experience for lower skilled players at all?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

GreatGreen posted:

No, I'm saying that the most fundamental actions in this platformer (moves that you'll be doing thousands of times over the course of playing) shouldn't be needlessly obtuse, like for example how a simple spin requires me to circle the L-stick somewhere randomly between 2-4 times or to jerk my entire handheld console around.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think reloading in shooters should be done by wagging the mouse up and down until the game recognizes what you're trying to do? Do you think the spin jump in Super Mario World on the SNES would have been better if you had to make circles on the D-pad until Mario decided to spin into the air?
The spin jump isn't a core mechanic like reloading, you can 100% the game without ever doing it. It's also not random, you're just not good at spinning the stick i'm afraid.

Also the mario world spin has an entirely different function in a game where you don't control mario's 3D movement. A better example would be the wallkick, which was harder to execute in mario 64. The problem with the Wallkick in M64 was that it was actually required for a few of the stars in that game, so it was genuinely frustrating that it was difficult and it raised the skill ceiling for 100%ing the game. When wallkicks became a much more prominent level design element in sunshine onwards it made sense to simplify it. Wallkicks also became significantly versatile at this point, in M64 you could conserve your angle, but now mario always jumps perpendicular from the wall he's on.

Basically things the player is required to do need to be intuitive and easy to grasp, but things the player isn't expected to do can be complicated or require practice and precise timing.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

tap my mountain posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to use waggle for the cap toss or else it returns too quickly
No you just have to hold, not press, the Y button for the dive to transition into a bounce.

Also don't try and turn while doing this you'll miss the hat and dive off into oblivion while trying to explore the New Donk skyline

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Sockser posted:

Man, gently caress this bull poo poo 8 bit level with the rotating background and fuzzies in the postgame. The controls go all stupid and suddenly left is up but then you jump and left is left again!

I’ve gotten so close to that loving pipe so many god damned times and then the controls wonk out
This is the same problem people were having with the bullet bill controls.

Basically mario moves relative to the camera when you start moving and those relative directions remain the same until you release the stick, regardless of where the camera ends up. So when you get half way around the circle and let the stick return to neutral the controls seemingly flip eithout warning. Made that particular moon very frustrating to do!

Usually its something you don't even notice and honestly its what stops you from flying of the edge of platforms when the camera turns. I think it first showed up in galaxy, in sunshine you could just hold up and steer mario around with thr c-stick.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Kurtofan posted:

i dont know what i'm doing wrong with those loving portrait games
Make sure you get the eyes the right way round.

Or just take a picture on your phone and get back to the fun parts of the game

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Waffleman_ posted:

GAAAAAH the Dark Side boss rush!! Give me health!!!
Theres a hidden big heart in the area outside. Spin your cap on top of all the stalks of the rock vegetables and you'll find it. You can also walk back out between fights and recollect it without resetting your progress.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Calaveron posted:

Holy gently caress normally they’re on point but boy a lot of the poo poo they’re saying is plain wrong
Yeah when rich opened with 'isn't platforming in 3D just plain awkward' i knew i was in for a bad time.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

8-Bit Scholar posted:

DLC in a Mario game does feel strangely sacrilegious. Nintendo does well by its DLC poo poo though, for the most part.
I feel like if DLC was planned they would have announced it pre-launch and served it as a season pass, that's been their strategy for single-player DLC a while now.

Then again last time Nintendo started work on DLC for a mainline 3D Mario they ended up making Galaxy 2 instead, so maybe they'll just crank out another loving masterpiece out of all the ides they didn't have time to implement in Odyssey.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm generally poo poo at the triple jump so I never use it but I still beat every master koopa race. I'm sure there were plenty of places the triple-jump would have been faster, but when you're skipping half the track anyway you can easily stop dead to line up a ground-pound jump anytime you need the height.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The same applies to the long jump.

Frankly its about time for the olympics to finally recognize the spin and cap jump events

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I gave in and used the talkatoo glitch to get 100 jumpropes. Then I cheesed the volleyball with co-op mode Cappy.

I'm missing one Star from toadette but I'm otherwise completely done with planet earth. Back to the moon with me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc, they're actually giving Super Metroid a rest at next years AGDQ.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Just did the darker side hatless scooterless challenge. That was frustrating but fun. Being forced to actually learn to conserve your speed was an interesting challenge. It looked loving impossible at first.

Also pro tip to that guy that couldn't triple jump, you don't even need to time it just mash the jump button and as long as you're moving in a straightish line you'll ace it every time. I think I avoided using the move until now because of how finicky the timing was in older games, its really a lot easier in Odyssey.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

The Bloop posted:

The answer is on this very page.

I'm going to be very amused if it turns out it's another totally optional thing that doesn't work in two player, but I doubt it.
Not only can you possess a pirana plant in co-op but you can detach cappy and ground-pound the possesed plant, "killing" mario. Or at least putting the game into a gitched state where mario no longer exists but cappy can still move around but the camera is still locked to mario's position.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Loling at the idea that a speedrunner would be upset that there's a crazy glitch that skips the no checkpoint gauntlet at the end of a 5 hour run.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Pierson posted:

Is that actually a real thing or just a meme though?
Nintendo 1st party titles do tend to keep their value for much longer than other games.

I just googled Mario kart for example and found MK7, a game from 2011, is still being sold for £35.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Daveski posted:

Hint: find something to ride
Ha ha wow that would have made that particular moon a lot easier I bet. You can do it with just rolls and long-jumps tho.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
for the 2d planetoid section the direction you have to press is relative to mario's orientation when you start moving. If you let go of the stick it'll reset. The game does this all the time, but it's pretty awkward in this particular section, where left can become right for seemingly no reason.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I cannot do this 100 jump rope challenge and I’ve been trying it for like a week
look up a video of the talkatoo glitch, it's much more entertaining to try to break the game's scripting than trying to do it legit. easier too.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Drewjitsu posted:

Even the first bit? I thought you had to roll through that section. I didn't even consider long jumping it.
Long jump into a roll gives you more than enough speed to clear it without waggle.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

RCarr posted:

Yea there was a video of someone getting up there earlier in the thread. There's nothing up there.
Its actually remarkable that there exists an in-bounds area of the game that they didn't anticipate anyone actually reaching somehow.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its however possible to beat the game without jumping.

Or at least without incrementing Toadette's jump counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
You can't activate the triple jump from a standstill so don't worry about it at all. The hop and skip jumps have the same timing so just focus on following the 'yeahs'.

• Locked thread