Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I watched that speed running video and felt very smug that i found more moons than they did. although I still don't have a clear grasp of what designates a 'cutscene of Mario being real psyched' moon and the rest of them. they all looked pretty similar?

Really my only disappointment was that I was under the impression you could possess nearly anything - sorta like Scribblenauts mixed with those Source Engine prop games. It was a little surprising that I made it through the demo and only found two possible possessions (bullet bill and shades statue)

but that's just on me. i'm sure the puzzles will be a lot better if the things you can possess are limited - it allows them to be handcrafted and have a 'right' answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

There are still some gamers out there who can't process the idea of a Mario game having DLC though. Even though NSMB2 had it as well as U having an expansion pack. Not to mention the DLC some of the spin-off games have gotten like Mario Kart and the 3DS golf game.

Like it's over dudes, DLC is here to stay and never going away. You just have to hope it's good DLC.

My opinion of Nintendo and DLC used to be unflappable - Luigi U was rad, the DLC for MK8 was stellar, etc. They were one of the few companies doing it right consistently

But I really don't like what they did with Breath of the Wild. The concept of a Season Pass rubbed me the wrong way, and I don't think the content they've released so far really belongs behind a paywall. We still know nothing about the main content of the DLC that's ostensibly releasing in less than 9 weeks - other than it seems like yet another chance to sell more amiibo

If I had to guess I'd say SMO will almost surely fall on the "MK8" side of the fence, which is great, but "Successful Nintendo" isn't always as consumer-focused as "Panic Nintendo"

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

One thing I just realized - we have yet to see a plain ol' grass kingdom. The first kingdom seems to be the Halloween Town looking place, and the default kingdom in all the ads is New Donk City. Even the demo at Target is set in the sand kingdom

without looking it up, that's gotta be the 1st time ever for a mario platformer

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Vookatos posted:

I'm one of the weird people who didn't really like 64/Sunshine formula (maybe because I've played them after many 3D platformers), so 3D World my favorite Mario game, mainly because it focuses on pure platforming and variety. Other 3D games had some issues with that, with similar missions of 64 (such as "go higher than last time", and Tall Tall Mountain's stars being just "reach the top") and minigames of Galaxy. 3D World sacrificed some of the controls to make the experience tighter, which I think was a nessessary step back for the kind of game they wanted. Nintendo already barely trusted players to actually use 64/Galaxy controls to actually move through the levels. Instead, everything more complicated than a long jump could only be used for skipping some small areas. 3D World was more like a Mega Man game, where you have to go through the obsticles, and I appreciate that. I really loved Mario 3, and I was glad to receive the game that's kinda similar to it in variety and challenge, but in 3D.
Still, I believe Mario Odyssey is going to be the best Mario game and possibly my favorite video game. It just looks so loving good!

Yeah, I definitely get this. It's not something I noticed at the time, but whenever I try to replay 64 or Sunshine i'm always surprised by how many stars - and even entire levels - that end up feeling pretty dull. I think a lot of it is the sense of discovery that's hard to re-capture when you already know the 'answer' to a star

This is also why 3D World - and 3D Land before it! - are my top Mario experiences. Unlike the NSMB games they crank up the innovation and variety up to 11, but they also have incredibly satisfying platforming that's tight and interesting and rewarding across a ton of levels and situations

I know it's a divisive game, but I'd like to think Nintendo agrees it's an important one all the same - it looks like there's more than a little 3D World DNA in Odyssey

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Maybe they'll capture each other but the caps will break so they become stuck in their new bodies. then it cuts to 10 years later and yeah, that's right, this was the prequel to Super Mario Sunshine and Bowser Jr. really is the spawn of Mario-Bowser and Peach

• Locked thread