Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Would people really be upset if we got a kingdom in the Bean Bean Kingdom? That seems like the strangest place to throw under the bus considering how wild and weird the locale is.

I'd gladly sacrifice dinosaur land or the jungle to get one of the rpg settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like 3D World better than Galaxy 1+2 because it had different playable characters and it was fun mixing things up that way. They were all ultra linear games, just one had a timer so you could stand around in one place and the other didn't.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My biggest worry about Odyssey is how boring a lot of moons are. There's videos of people doing that Target demo and getting like 20 of them in less than 9 minutes before the demo cuts them off and that just sends up red flags for me. I want the locale based coins to be the collectable junk, not the big "important" items of the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Guy with a review copy decided to leak stuff on /v/ so if you're planning on going on media blackout nows the time. All of the worlds have already been posted for example.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr Phillby posted:

Iirc from other previews Cappy tells Mario they can find a working airship in 'the next kingdom over' so I guess there must be some other way to travel between Cascade and Bonneton? Are they functionally the same kingdom? does Bonneton have it's own purple currency? I don't remember seeing it yet

Actual spoilers You find the Odyssey in Cascade Kingdom. It's rusted over and all rocky and junk. Roughly 15-19 moons in Bonneton and 26 in Cascade iirc.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Was this from the episode where Mario's voice actor fucks up saying Donkey Kong for the millionth time and calls him Darkie Kong?

I tried rewatching some of the supercade because I was bored but man the audio quality is (understandably) poo poo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Final boss/kingdom spoilers are all over youtube. Warning now.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is this real? Because lol

Yeah, don't recall which episode it is but Mario gets outsmarted by donkey kong and just throws it out. Me and a friend had to replay it like 20 times that night because "haha no way".

Vikar Jerome posted:

ending might have leaked guys, go full blackout. tho i saw no screenshots, it does make me wonder if its true or not, the only two people i am aware of streaming/leaking only started playing the game yesterday and the streamer dude is too hooked on league of legends to get out of the first two levels.

anyone done pre-orders from shopto uk before? we're gonna get the game a day early right, like usual? its been awhile since i pre-ordered physical poo poo.

It 100% has, can confirm.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished (I think)

For those wondering and want the number of kingdoms in the game it's 17

To rip a proverbial bandaid off now Isle Delfino is not one of them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'd say about 13-14 hours or so just to clear it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Raserys posted:

Boss spoilers there's an actual, literal dark souls level

Yeah the jokes are going to be coming hard and fast when it becomes public.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Vikar Jerome posted:

so er questions, if you can: is it really botw amount of moons? how many sub-stages are there and are they long/varied? have people really 100% this? do you think delfino is gonna be dlc since it was on the map poster?

i mean, i assume the game is good too.

Random answers There's about 660 moons total. Post game scatters a bunch in previously explored worlds too. Substages it's kind of hard to put a number on as there's a lot all over the danged place but they're mostly unique and varied. I don't know if people have 100% it yet because I haven't yet and I haven't been looking into other reactions to leaked gameplay/whatever. I have no idea on Delfino. Would be interesting at the very least!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hedrigall posted:

There's actually 836 moons. Confirmed by streaming guy who unlocked all the postgame moons for each kingdom.

Huh, egg on my face then :v:

sexpig by night posted:

All in all how varied are the moons? Is there a good bit of fun weird stuff mixed in with the normal platforming and I assume stuff like red coins?

Also goddamn Nintendo, let me preorder from the eshop so I can stare longingly at the icon at least!

For the most part they're alright? Some of them feel like padding out a number but it really shouldn't bother anyone unless they're shooting for completion.

There's moons for doing random minigames, quizzes, running in a perfect circle, ground pounding random spots of the map, poking around towns just about everything.

E: I don't get how anyone could be on the fence about Odyssey. Like what's making you think it'll actually be bad/not fun?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CuddlyZombie posted:

Please elaborate

Random Boss spoilers

In Peach's castle one of the paintings leads to a ruined kingdom where you fight a giant HD dragon with thunder breath. The setting looks somewhat like a souls game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hedrigall posted:

To clarify:

The painting in Peach's castle is one of many that lead to boss rematches. You actually fight the dragon earlier in the game, before the final 2 main kingdoms. Every boss has a more difficult rematch in the postgame

Yeah but the painting portal makes me think of the painted world so that's the one I'm going with v:v:v

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Bloop posted:

The new ones give clothes, but otherwise no.

Certain other amiibo (obvious ones) give clothes too, but there's nothing you can't get in game anyway.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Overbite posted:

Sad to hear the motion controls are mandatory :(

You can turn them off in the menu.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Vikar Jerome posted:

anyone got all the moons yet? wondering if we get a similar "you have too much time on your hands" botw type prize or something even better.

You get a golden sail on the odyssey and a harder version of the final boss to fight. Same ending though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PSA: The Globe on the Odyssey is a music box and every kingdom has it's own themesong if you jump on it. The soft version of Jump Up Superstar is nice.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you fall asleep on New Donk City sometimes a pigeon lands on your nose.

GOTY.

Every Kingdom gets you a different type of bird. Ice Kingdom you get the Mario64 penguins :v:

Violen posted:

Finally got the means to play this. I don't wanna step on any toes in here, but Super Mario Odyssey is, in fact, a good video game.

Can someone expand on a few spoilery points for me if they're far enough in to know the answers? This creeps into post-game content so don't click if you don't wanna hear any details on any of that.

1. Do the digital cube things in early levels actually increase the in-map moon list total or not?
2. Do they just physically place more moons on the map, or do they sometimes generate means of procuring currently visible moons you can't reach without whatever in-level elements the cubes unlock?
3. Are the only two triggers for changing up the state of a level beating its mandatory set of moons, and then beating the game?

I'm the weirdo that likes spelunking every inch of a stage my first time through it until I find everything there is to find, so I don't wanna drive myself insane if you can't actually get the full count of moons that show up in the moon list you start with your first time into a level. I don't mind spoiling myself on QOL details like this or what the cubes do, but I'm really trying to avoid any specific moon locations or secrets in levels and that kinda junk. I have one moon staring me in the face two levels deep that I can actively see but am completely beside myself on reaching, and I don't wanna spoil how to get it but I also don't wanna dance around like a yutz for an hour if it's just something I have to pass on until later.

Wait until post game.

The post game unlocks those boxes and they spill out *new* moons everywhere. Also over time more moons appear in kingdoms so it's best to just wait till the credits roll then go hunting.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I both hate and love the zombie mummy guys

They have fantastic designs but for some reason I just cannot jump on them to save my life and cappy doesn't really stun them all that long.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It really is a testament to the team behind the game that I'm still playing and having fun just dicking around. BotW was fun for the first handful of hours before it became a mostly boring slog yet Mario's quality is just in a class of it's own. It's unreal how much creativity has gone into the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm still not sure what the point in the (Final Costume spoiler) Invisibility Cap is.

I mean, good job you're totally invisible outside the shadow. Good luck actually doing anything.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey Gamers

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Argue posted:

So is ----------------------Poochy--------------- not actually in the game outside of the hint art? :(

Spoilers for the cameo he shows up in exactly one spot and you get a moon for finding him

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. I tried to chuck my hat at it and jump on it. Thats really all I got.

It's a trick the game only uses like twice so easily forgiven for missing it. Throw the hat and keep the button pressed. Cappy will spin on top of it wildly then spit out a power moon. If you ever see a glowing spike or something try throwing your hat like that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need to stress that collectables that are off camera will not be collected even if you're standing where they are. I know where that 1 wooded kingdom purple coin is because it suffers from that. There's a line of them that you have to crouch under a girder to get to and the last one is squeezed against a wall. If the camera pans you can stand where the coin is and not collect it even though you should of. It's very silly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga you ran into a race of snail people that lived in woods that produced soda for the rest of the kingdom.

I figured these were either the same snails or a direct homage to them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Your Computer posted:

The guys making the soda were (french) beanpeople though, not snails?

:goonsay:

Well yeah I know, the snails lived in that forest though :v:

They are in target range of sodas.

Manoueverable posted:

So I have three purple coins missing in the Sand Kingdom, how am I supposed to access the 8-bit section in the inverted pyramid once it's floating?

There's a slingshot on the desert floor with some tourists around it. Throw cappy and launch yourself back in.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

People who have the invisibility cap should go fight the final boss with it on. The ending sequence becomes kind of surreal to watch and it owns.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Post-game question about Darker Side; How far through am I if I've made it to the second room with the fog?

It's a bigger area but you're about halfway done if I recall.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I find myself swapping between this and skeleton with birthday hat/luigi cap

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You can shoot him from the side too. You never need to go above him. Octopus hate water

E: Hardest enemies in the game are the mummies because you have to stomp them, they're super fast, and if there's more then 1 you're going to get hit because jumping on them doesn't bounce you in the air.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The last moon I need to get is the 100 jump rope one and I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible and everyone claiming they got it is lying to me :sigh:

I've been trying this thing for over a week and I still haven't gotten past 60. Mario just always lands on the rope or springs to high, or I just wind up getting way to focused and beef it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm sorry thread but I'll always be 99%. I got up to 70 in handheld before a input got eaten and I've never been able to get there. This challenge is actually stupid and it's taking all my willpower not to huck my switch in frustration.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I went and talked to the clown npc in Donk City and he told me that sometimes I just need a clown to get over my frustrations.

Wait what

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If mario goes to sleep near it, the dog will curl up and sleep with you. It's cute.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Worst levels in the game are the water ones. Not because I think they're bad but because there's two fuckin' water levels and no haunted house levels what the gently caress nintendo.

Also I'm not entirely sure what to do now. I took my time and I'm still kinda wanting more content.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wait what? I found that moon brain dead simple :psyduck:

Like I did it first try by just gunning it to the end, then hopping to the lower floor and just long jumping back. After I just got done with the scooter-less moon it felt like a breather level

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thinking on it the only thing in the game that I think is kind of a bummer is (880 moon unlock) revamp of bowsers final boss fight. I was promised a harder fight but... all he does is a few more tailswipes when he's blocking your punches. It's not harder at all, and while I love playing as Bowser and the ending sequence having that totally unchanged just feels like a colossal waste. Like why was this painting even in the game when I can do the same thing right across from it and have the same experience. I mean c'mon Nintendo, I just 100% the normal moons. Let Bowser do a raging demon on me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I noticed the gold koopa is really intimidating with his routes but if you follow him he often stops to gently caress around and let you win near the end of every race. I was trying to pull off cool shortcuts in Cascade because oh poo poo he's good only to learn if I just went the normal route at a alright pace I'd win anyway

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I guess I got lucky as I first tried all the bound races and lapped a racer on the second course at one point.

Also part of me kinda hopes they patch in a fix for the final level exploit.
Not grinding my teeth over people abusing it because they're NOT TRUE GAMERS or whatever, but it's kind of a bummer that you can skip a lot of the challenge like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Who likes bomberman

E: Actually might be fake. New Bomberman update came out adding a ton of cameo characters and people are debating if this is legit or not.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 15, 2017

• Locked thread