Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh my god jaxi please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

loving this game but here's a thought: bullet bill controls suck rear end

my brain keeps expecting it to be "hold left to turn bullet bill to its left" and not "camera left" and jeeeeesus christ

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

nah i think i'm gonna echo the sentiment that the controls in this game aren't the greatest and that i've also been fighting the camera. maybe not as much now that i'm more used to it, but i distinctly remember the first hour of gameplay being a lot of stop and start while just trying to get the camera to look where i want it to. yes, i set sensitivity to high right out of the gate.

but even beyond motion controls (which everyone seems to agree has no reason to not also be mapped to the many unused buttons) i've had times where something about mario just felt real... stiff. like i could sometimes couldn't just quiiiite get him to agree with what i'm trying to do.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

why isn't there a motion control for walking and turning, huh??????????????????

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the amount of time it takes to reliably get a good spin with the left joystick + throw the cap for a spin throw makes it fairly useless in most situations tbh

like i could just instead manually run around and collect the circle of coins because there's no guarantee that by the time i finally get the spin off i'm still standing in the right spot (gotta move mario to get him to spin). also if i'm surrounded by enemies i'm just going to get hit before i can get into a spin

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

Honestly if you are complaining that moves you find difficult aren't tied to single button presses you're also arguing against an action game having a high skill ceiling.

:jerkbag:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

"the moon is so pretty" ~ captain toad

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/kaubocks/status/924745153700495360

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i just finished seaside kingdom and boy howdy that octopus boss fight was pretty poo poo imo. the camera just did not agree with me at all and it made hitting the guy an ordeal and a half

it's like the only part of the game that's made me go "actually that's bad" otherwise this game is incredible

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yea i don't really know what to say, talking to other people sounds like i'm more or less the only person i know who had trouble with the seaside kingdom boss

i honestly chalk it all up to the camera though. like every time i was making an approach on him the camera would start to rotate around (because the camera always locks onto bosses) and that combined with the boss still being very mobile just made it very hard for me to get a bead on him. i missed my attacks on him a lot and it felt really unsatisfying

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey guys i know this is a controversial opinion but i just finished the main game and am moving on to the post game and i think this is the best game of the year in a year full of amazing games as well as it being the best mario game

maybe one of the best games of all time

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

can anyone give me a hint about this post-game moon i can't find?

its in the pipe in ruined kingdom, where there's a charging chuck in a cage and infinitely spawning mummies. i got the obvious moon in here but i absolutely cannot figure out where the second one is. sadly there doesn't seem to be a talkatoo in this stage so i have nothing to work with

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

thanks guys, i'll go grab that moon next time i'm in the area!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yeah first time i got there i had to talk to her like 26 times, it sucked, and it doubly sucks knowing i'm going to have to go through it again

come on nintendo just give me them all at once if i earned them

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I'm stalled out at the Luncheon Kingdom, from frame one. My paths are a corncob to a Red-Hatted Goomba that vanishes when I approach and an immobile island with a podobo occasionally jumping up. The map shows paths that are not there. What am I not being taught to do in this zone?

both of these problems could be solved by throwing your hat at things

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm up to 525 moons, this game owns

i did the loops races in the mermaid kingdom (lake?) and checked the leaderboards afterwards. apparently it can be done in under 20 seconds?? uhhh yeah ok (wtf)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKfbU9BFE8Q

The first half (getting up the wall with no stairs) isn't hard, but going from the water directly to the last flower is a little trickier

:stare:

holy loly. i didn't have any trouble getting up over the wall but yeah gently caress that, this is why i'm not a speedrunner.

unrelated post-game: how the heck to i get the bird flying around cap kingdom??? it doesn't fly near any land that i could hit it with my hat, from what i've seen. flying up to it with a goomba doesn't do anything either.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

You just fly into it with a Paragoomba. No need to uncap out or anything. It took me a minute or two, I thought I was hitting it but obviously wasn't. Just keep an eye on the shadows on the water.

Amppelix posted:

I'm pretty sure I just bumped into this one with the goomba and it worked?? Are you sure you've hit it on the mark

huh weird. thought i was hitting it spot on, but also i was expecting it to not work in the first place so confirmation bias probably had me stop on first failed attempt. will try again. thanks!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Awesome, thanks guys!

I spoke with Toad really early on and thought "heh, I'm no cheater, I don't need to be told where the secrets are" and then just filed that character away as "ignore this guy" and 25 played hours later forgot why.

Lol I had no idea what I was saying. Like hell you don't need those hints. There are enough stars and some are so well hidden that paying for their locations is basically just another necessary cost of doing business.

i'm more or less the same. i bought a hint once early on and was like "wooooowwwwwww it just pinpoints where the moon is? gently caress that!" and ignored him

now i'm on the post-game moon hunt and i'll use talkatoo as much as i can, but all the new moon cube moons are pinpointed and i'm getting down to like 1-2 missing moons per kingdom. i suddenly give wayyyyyyy less of a poo poo if someone gives me a more direct hint where the heck i can find "sand kingdom timer challenge 3" or whatever. thanks hint toad!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's a lady Goomba right next to the Odyssey in Lake Kingdom, how do I get a dude-ba there? I can't figure out a way to make the jump from the steps to dry land and they die in the water even if you bring an entire giant tower.

i honestly just jumped from the leveled section in the middle of the staircase to the semi-dry land the mermaid is on

try it again?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just stumbled across the deep woods in wooded kingdom

:stare:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

you can jump a scooter into a toad's head

it's a good level

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

after beating the game i've just been going back to old kingdoms and cleaning house. i'm up to over 600 moons now and i'm working on my new donk city revisit and god loving drat i'm reminded how good this stage is

https://twitter.com/kaubocks/status/926311181052125184

i haven't even set foot in the dark/darker side stages yet. this game is insane. i love it. it's my favorite mario by a country mile right now

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

look if you see a moon floating over large swaths of empty air too far to jump to and your first thought is "surely there must be a switch or something around here" and not "i'm gonna ramp a motor scooter off a building 35 stories high" then i don't want to talk to you

(i remembered the switch like ten minutes later :ssh:)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

lmao if you don't set your wardrobe to random

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i was gonna be an obnoxious dick and chime in that jump rope is easy but wow gently caress that guy for not liking koopa races

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i've heard there's a 6-heart in the opening area of dark side but haven't been able to find it myself; i feel like i've checked everything i can spin cappy off

could someone narrow down where it is?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the hatless invisible walkway piranha challenge room on dark side can eat my entire rear end. i mean i beat it but oofa doofa

Macaluso posted:

I don't know how you're supposed to figure out the "found with wooded kingdom art" moon on your own. Like, the picture shows a koopa troopa, four up arrows, and then two bushes side by side. There's groups of bushes all around that turtle, so naturally one of those should be right, right?

These bushes are almost completely at the opposite end of the map of the turtle. They aren't anywhere NEAR the drat turtle!
you go directly north as hinted by the compass in the art

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

In your guys opinion, what's the hardest moon to get that's not dark-side related?

a couple people have mentioned these but the two that come to mind are the mushroom kingdom 2d moons (those planetoid controls are mondo hosed up) and the dark side piranha plant invisible walkway challenge (those big piranha hitboxes are also mondo hosed up)

Waltzing Along posted:

My favorite thing about SMO is how in post game everything is so chill with people chilling out all over the place, vacationing.

:same:

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I can't imagine how you're supposed to do this if you don't use motion controls (so good luck on this if you're in portable mode).

i got both moons in there without motion controls. it's a real tight window regardless, i'm not sure how much leeway motion controls are gonna give you

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the biggest failing about the hint toad/talkatoo is when it comes to "secret path to [kingdom]" moons where you have to travel to the kingdom through a painting-- the problem being that it counts as a moon for the kingdom the moon is found in, not the painting. this is inconsistent with the hidden art paintings that will at least point you to the hidden art and let you piece it together from there.

the last moon i need in cascade kingdom is a secret path moon. if i ask hint toad about it he says the moon is way up in the sky on the floating island. like yeah, no poo poo dude. there's no way for me to tell where the path originates from. the last moon i need in lake kingdom is also a secret path moon but i was at least able to get a sick jump and angle the photo mode camera in such a way that i can tell the painting comes from new donk city. that said, i have no idea where in new donk city it is... and i've done everything in new donk city!!

i haven't felt the need to look these up yet but i've broken the 800 moon barrier and i beat darker side last night so i'm running out of things to do before going back to new donk city and scouring it for the umpteenth time

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh man i'm down to my last five moons and all of them are hint art. the rest of the hint art series i found relatively painlessly but these five are just obtuse enough that i simultaneously feel like i'm on the right path and also looking in the entirely wrong kingdom. we'll see, i guess! i'll probably come crawling back here for more hints when i fail to find them

PantsBandit posted:

Hint: The New Donk City portrait is right by the Odyssey. It took me forever to find it too.

found this last night. :doh: motherfucker

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

late to the thread but i will not stand for people disrespecting my good friend cappy

also the glider segment of darker side is the easiest segment? you literally just hold B and aim for the tornadoes. never stop holding b. don't hold up, don't hold back. just move left and right. there is only ever like one bug that could possibly ever hit you on the way to each tornado. i feel like people are just over complicating this part.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

looked up the location on a couple hint moons last night. holy loly that seaside kingdom hint art! (i couldn't get out of the mindset of "keep" referring to "bowser's keep", i never would have found this)

but now i've collected all 880 moons in the game!

do you get anything for maxing out the moon counter? just wondering if i should grind the coins to do that. i probably will anyway.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Don't you also get a new version of the Bowser fight?

i unlocked it by getting all the in-kingdom moons

The Kins posted:

Something appears in Mushroom Kingdom that you can interact with to get a little five second cutscene. Nothing gameplay related.

welp guess i'm doing it :haw:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

my favorite part with bowser is when you triple jump and he pumps his arm in the air triumphantly

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

undertale saved gdq from the lowest point it had been in a long time

hug that goat

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

personally i think it's hilarious a bunch of work went into routing a speedrun category that allowed them to end with the true final level and then shortly after that they found a bug that let them skip it, defeating the whole point of the category

it's quintessential speedrun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

all y’all motherfuckers got bad rhythm or some poo poo i got jump rope on second try

• Locked thread