Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: I don't get how anyone could be on the fence about Odyssey. Like what's making you think it'll actually be bad/not fun?

i guess hating fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

where's the complex overly-emotional lore video about mario odyssey

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"You may think of evolution as... an upward process. Things evolve from primeval slime, up to single-celled organisms, up to... intelligent life. De-evolution, of course, works the opposite way. Back to... simpler forms."

dennis hopper rambling about goombas may as well be item flavour text from bloodborne

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ah, Cap... or some say Cappy...

do you hear our 'yeahs!'

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ive been a mario game player all my life and i think this is the first one i have been excited about prior to release

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I'm buying physical! From a store! I prepaid! I'll pick it up after work, probably!

everything is cool. no complain

me too life is good

2 blessed 2 stress

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so i've played for about three hours, and my wife has played for about three hours (seperate games) and it's kind of amazing how different our two experiences have been. i kept pushing through the story goals and quests and doing most of the major bosses, and i've just finished the lake and wooded kingdoms. it's great: the deepest underground "giant face" boss has been my favourite so far, but the secret flower path UFO fight was also hilarious from start to finish. wife has pretty much spent three hours in the sand kingdom and cap kingdom - she's gotten way, way more moons than i have, and seeing her unlock a warp from sand kingdom to new donk city blew our minds. there is so much to do in this game.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

god bless the developer that put the fish eye filter in this most blessed game

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Frankston posted:

I really appreciate cappy telling you if there are any stars or purple coins left in any areas you've already been in

:same:

the moon in the cage on the tree in the lost kingdom is driving me crazy. whats the dealio

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Argue posted:

Oh my god (New Donk City end spoilers) Pauline's dance moves when the background chorus starts going "Odyssey ya see" are her sprite animation from Donkey Kong :aaa:

GOTY

this whole game is just unapologetically a big mario series love-in and it RULES

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am definitely stealing this for phone wallpaper

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Might be a dumb question butbthe list of moons on the map is that everything you can get before beating the game? I’m trying to finish up Cap Kingdom but the hint toad and the parrot say the have no more hints to give but I’m missing like seven moons

there are some on that list that you cant get till postgame!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

an SNALE

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 29, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Seeing those snails reminded me of the snail people in Superstar Saga but also made me realize there's a 0% chance that they were supposed to be them.

It really makes me wonder why Nintendo seems so insistent on keeping the RPGs totally separate from the main games. I'm not sure what it accomplishes. Its especially odd given Odyssey has gone out of its way to a tie a bunch of other Mario series oddities into it.

between Mario Odyssey and Kingdom Battle it really feels like Nintendo are making Mario the colourful, shiney "dark tower" central universe of videogames. it's chaotic and weird as gently caress but i'm totally into it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I mean, the most recent considering it references literally all the mainline important Mario games (wait does it reference 2 I can’t recall)

the only time i directly thought about it was chucking turnips into the stew in luncheon kingdom

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am at 97 purple coins in the mushroom kingdom and have no idea where the last three are. are there some hidden in one of the pipes / tubes? are there three that are notoriously difficult to find? i've gotten them from behind peach's chair, i think i have all of them from the tops of buildings and trees, from the passage under the hill... i am stumped

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

there is a waterfall at the edge of the world and 3 purple coins are hanging off of that.

you might have actually just saved me, thankyou so much

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

JBP posted:

I played about 45 minutes of this at PAX and don't think I liked it. Does the difficulty ramp up in any meaningful way over time? I know 45 minutes isn't a lot of a game like this, but I found the art kind of jarring and when displayed on a huge TV the pop-in is pretty loving bad. Mario was going to sell me the Switch, but now I'm in two minds. If it becomes challenging after a while I'd probably still be keen, but from what I played it didn't feel like it.

some of the platform challenges and rooms that occur later on, especially in the postgame, are on par with some of the harder stuff from 3D world. i don't know if this game ever hits Galaxy 2 levels of difficulty, but if you want some challenging platform nonsense later on, you get it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i love Odyssey, it's everything i loved about Mario 64 updated for this year. it's just fantastic.

now i am also kind of hoping for a re-release of 3D World, bundled with Toad's Treasure Tracker and updated to include the snapshot photo thing from Odyssey. that would be a delight.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So was Captain Toad squirreled away in every single level before you hit the post game? Because I only started finding him after that

i thought i found him a few times during the first trek through but now i'm second guessing myself

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I just made top 50 on the leaderboards of Luncheon Kingdom Freerunning so I want to brag for a bit, and I think the movement for this run looks really cool so here you go:
https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/925131658235277312

:eyepop:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the "ground-pound reveals invisible things" was in 3D world and i think some of the new super mario games too?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Taking Notes makes me so amazingly loving mad, especially when I have to follow a very narrow path of notes. Mario has a habit of completely veering off in a different direction if I so much as slightly move the thumbstick. :negative:

i really had to restrain myself from screaming cuss words during the jaxi stunt driver moon

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

god bless you captain toad

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dream DLC time: big new haunted mansion kingdom, with unlockable luig. then special luigi-centric challenges show up in the existing kingdoms

grounded DLC time: i will literally throw money at whatever you put out for this wonderful game

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Zuzie posted:

I heard that you should jump when you hear the woman go "Yeah" every time she spins the jump-rope.

this is true. it's just a stupid rhythm game, do it with your eyes closed

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

argh. where on dark side is this bonus heart piece? so close to being done with the boss rush but only 1 hit left in it and im stressin'

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wild speculation but the mushroom kingdom feels like a hub world that got hastily bumped to the postgame for flow reasons. grinding through all the achievement moons with Toadette feels utterly painful for everybody the first time, because you have at least 15 or 20 moons to acknowledge right off the bat. it would have made sense if you started there, or returned to the mushroom kingdom early on, but as it stands its kind of out of place.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

more screencaps from this, the current Best Game In The World

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I'll never get over how much breath of the wild owned and then got owned in the same year

nevertheless, with EA's refusal to commit to Switch support, i am sure Nintendo are still doomed

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

returned to the sand kingdom, thinkin i was closing in on the end of the game. realised i've still got just over half the total moons in sand kingdom to go and then looked at the lists for all the other kingdoms. not even close. dang, but also, hooray

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I think its designed to be casually revisited on and off so that you have something to do for more than a week

I'm a hedonistic tyrant and have destroyed every inch of this game in the span of a few days but I get the vibe I wasn't supposed to

i managed to get Marios claws off of me to get some solid work done this week, but the weekend looms and it's still all i want to do. i am totally going to clock this game and glad it's taking me a while to do so.

also simpsons joke username gang appreciation !

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if you told me johnnyfiveaces was worked into the plot for super mario odyssey, i'd believe it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

RCarr posted:

I’m doing the dark side of the moon rabbit ridge boss rush. Where is this heart you can get? And can I go get it any any point in the rush?

it's on the stem of one of the pumpkins in the pile to the right, near the electricity orb when you come in. yeah go out at any point between 'em and you can grab it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/nintendogs_2/status/926577598099898368

this game owns because of the dumbest things sometimes

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the invisible road challenge room on the dark side can one hundred percent go to hell

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Luncheon kingdom kind of sucks.

i think the art style is a bit crap but the level design is maybe the best one in the game? once you get hat jumps and dives down that mountain area is F U N

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

New Donk City's probably my favourite level. It's fantastic.

it really is. you can see why it was so heavy in the promos, its just a great centerpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the best haunted mansion boss is still on the switch in kingdom battle. ghost boss in that game is terrific

• Locked thread