Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Vookatos posted:

I still can't believe how good it looks. E3 trailer alone made me think it will be my new favorite video game. And judging by the fact that 5 hours of Zelda last E3 were just tutorial, I'm guessing there's MUCH more to the game that Ninty didn't show us.
Also, I dunno if anybody else made that connection, but with all the Moons you're collecting and the Moon visible on the world map, I'm guessing fake-Earth is not exactly the only planet that we're going to visit.

"We can zoom all the way to the moon of this great wide wacky world"

The song is just a breakdown of the game. There's no way we don't go to the moon. Ducktales music and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I really hope the people I've seen upset that the game doesn't feature "Already Established Kingdoms" that appeared in previous Mario spin-off titles like Beanbean Kingdom or DK Isle are just taking the piss and don't actually see their absence as a major grievance with the game.

Like yeah it'd have been neat if the Sand Kingdom we've seen had been Sarasaland and I can see the case being made for DK Isle being a place that would have been really fun for Mario to visit but at a certain point the complaints seem all too familiar to ones like fans getting legit upset their favorite spin-off characters don't show up outside of their respective sub-series and playable in games like Mario Kart.

I am absolutely not airing any greviances with how Odyssey looks and will absolutely not dock it any points for not Satisfying My Lore Cravings but having a legit, unified Mushroom Planet Map that accounted for the entire franchise would have been dope as gently caress

I wasn't really expecting it to do anything other than give us a map that works for the context of just this game. I just think that would have been incredibly cool to do.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

2D Mario definitely has some legs in it still but it needs new visuals like desperately. I think NSMBU in particular gets a bad rap, but that aesthetic has run its course. I want them to do some new and creative things with 2D Mario. Mario Maker had some of that Mario Paint weirdness on top of everything and it contributed to NSMB feeling much less stale, they need to tap into that more.

I'm really sick of homogenous, safe Mario. Sunshine is honestly bafflingly bad in some places (who the gently caress is responsible for the lilypad level?) but I look fondly on it because it's so unabashedly weird and risky. There was something starting in the late years of the Wii where Mario just started losing its ambition and character and even when the games were good they were missing something. The RPGs are a prime example of that but that's an entirely different can of worms. You can even see it in Mario Party and the sports games, which have become much plainer. I would pinpoint Galaxy 2 as where the series started losing some of its edge to me? (It's still a very good game)

3D World felt like an upturn in that where they started trying to exercise some creativity again. Odyssey is 3D World's physics and creativity but in a Mario 64 collect-a-thon type game. That's good as hell. Odyssey is getting back to what I really liked about Mario back in the Gamecube era, the fact that nothing felt too sacred in terms of tone and consistency if it meant Mario got to do something entertaining and creative.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

nerdbot posted:

"We can zoom all the way to the moon of this great wide wacky world"

The song is just a breakdown of the game. There's no way we don't go to the moon. Ducktales music and everything.

Another realization I just had about this: The Broodals (the bride service team Bowser hired) are bunnies, which are culturally associated with the moon in Japan. We're so loving going to the moon and using our hat to possess Bowser to punch out the Bunny Mom who will reveal herself to be the real villain. That's my called shot.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You end up possessing THE MOON and crash it against mushroom kingdom.

Jesus I can actually see this too

This would basically be a page out of the Kirby Planet Robobot book.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 19, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Beastie posted:

I wonder if my 8bit Mario Amiibo does anything.

Amiibo website lists the 8-Bit Marios as compatible with the game, so they do SOMETHING. Since Dr. Mario is a costume, I bet they have a costume too.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is there a list of what Amiibos do what things in this game yet?

I found a video of all the amiibo costumes. I think they're all logical conclusions to jump to, but it's still spoiler content, so click through at your own risk, regardless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAXz0SfvXs0 (This is actually the only spoiler video I've watched myself because I really wanted to see these. Nothing else is spoiled.)

Costume related spoiler that covers something not in this video (but related to it): There is a Metal Mario costume but the Silver Mario amiibo was never released in Japan, so that's why that gives you Gold Mario.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

every game needs a photo mode, honestly

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Same stage question: There's a Cappyless level where you hit a switch and run over some road-pavement-tiled stuff on a timer. How am I supposed to move faster? I can't roll when I have to jump constantly, and long jumping isn't nearly fast enough.

The triple jump stuff has already been explained but this is the course that taught me how effective the roll out of ground pound maneuver (which I effectively refer to as the drop dash) is. You instantly hit top rolling speed so you can quickly unroll and be in Mario's airplane arms state where he'll hold momentum when triple jumping and diving. There's probably a less obscure way you can get enough speed, but the drop dash got me through that.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Frankston posted:

I don't think it's dead, it's eyes follow you.

Also you can capture a parabones and that's pretty dead!

It's definitely not dead, you can literally talk to it.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Like has been the case since Mario 64 to beat the story is easy and designed so children can do it. The challenge is after the story where the harder shines/stars/moons/extra worlds come in where Mario demands his pound of flesh

There's a little of that 3D World design sensibility where a lot of the moons have a simple straightforward path but also everything is arranged and timed out so you can optionally take a very stylish and fast way to your objective. In Mario games you're often creating your own challenge for the sake of just looking snazzy. I really love that.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Lobster Harmonica posted:

This is a big deal to me. Like, there's an element to mainline Mario games that's been missing since 64, where there's inexplicably some creepy and viscerally real poo poo that comes out of left field— the eel from Jolly Roger Bay, the chomping piano, the creepy photo-realistic skybox textures in that one water level

Odyssey brings that memorable vibe back and doesn't even loving bother to explain itself. Just like here, here's Dark Souls

It's something that there was a lot of in Sunshine too, that game is loving weird. I think a lot of Mario 64's oddities in terms of tone and design can be attributed to both the growing pains of feeling out a 3D space and also to the fact that there were not really that many Mario games at the time so there wasn't a codified idea of what a Pure Mario Experience was like yet.

By the time Sunshine rolled around though, I feel like Mario was established enough that what it was doing was very deliberately loving weird. I wasn't really sure how I felt about what Odyssey was doing in the leadup but as time went on I started to get that they were going back to making Mario feel completely unpredictable and insane. There are rules to Mario's world but none of them matter if it means they can do something to surprise you in a really fun way. In this case it means Mario gets to fight Gore Magala.

The New Donkers definitely seemed wild at first but I loving love that "businessperson in a suit" is equivalent to a talking fork or a mermaid in terms of being a caricature of what would live in their respective environments. New Donkers aren't human, they're just creatures in a skyscraper land. The suits are just their skin. New Donkers are to Pauline as Toads are to Princess Peach.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 29, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I had a big moment in the shower earlier today when I realized the "take it in stride as you move side to side, they're just different points of view" lyrics was referring to the SMB1 murals. gently caress

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

100% is probably gonna take some time to route considering how much stuff is in this game, but it should be pretty cool. Mario's platforming abilities have a higher skill ceiling in this than any previous Mario game, I'm pretty sure, so crazy tricks should continue getting discovered for a while

The biggest buzzkill of 100% will be that the most efficient way to conclude a 100% run would be to save Toadette for last and spend like 8 minutes talking to her to get everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I should mention, the thing I've heard a lot of excitement about from speedrunners is Odyssey Bingo in the same vein as Mario 64 Bingo http://www.speedrunslive.com/tools/sm64-bingo

• Locked thread