Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ymgve posted:

(postgame bonus stage 2) Is there seriously no way to refill my health in/between fights at the dark side of the moon?

Pro tip: Bonus Hearts can be carried between worlds...

Angry Grimace posted:

The New Donk City festival section is the greatest thing that ever happened to me.

Watch Pauline at the end; She has an entire dance number choreographed to the song :allears:. Not to mention you can replay it any time you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Same stage question: There's a Cappyless level where you hit a switch and run over some road-pavement-tiled stuff on a timer. How am I supposed to move faster? I can't roll when I have to jump constantly, and long jumping isn't nearly fast enough.

A mix of Triple and Long jumps will get you through. That said, if you hit a ledge and climb up at any point instead of landing clean on a platform, you're done, just suicide and restart. Don't forget the second Moon on the collapsing path though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing that disappointed me in postgame; The paintings in Mushroom Kingdom do the classic "Pa-pa-pa pa-pa PA!" but no "Let's-a-go!" afterwards. Get it right, Nintendo, god! :rolleyes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing I did love though; I searched high and low looking for Yoshi before realizing he'd be on the roof of the castle like in SM64. And sure enough...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Picture Match is easy as hell to get over 80 points on.

Are you certain you have the eyes on the right sides?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Merkinman posted:

Is there something I'm missing with regards to platforming with a podoboo in Luncheon? I found the part leading up to the boss, and the boss itself, incredibly frustrating. There's obviously no depth perception because it's not like it's a 3DS game, and your shadow is invisible between platforms.

That said, everything else has been wonderful.

No, the Cookatoo fight is just a bitch to do for the final hit when you have to leap up the platforms with no real indication of whether you made the jump or fell through.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is gonna sound dumb, but I wish multi moons were called full moons instead.

Well that's just common sense, and what Nintendo clearly should've done :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Larrymer posted:

walk inside the castle and look up at the ceiling like you had to in sm64 to get into the winged hat level.

poo poo, I knew I should've tried this :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My big disappointment with SMO is that the Shine Shirt from Super Mario Sunshine doesn't seem to be an outfit in the game :argh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're ever unsure, do a ground-pound. It reveals Invisible Blocks for a few seconds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

alf_pogs posted:

the "ground-pound reveals invisible things" was in 3D world and i think some of the new super mario games too?

Yup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pollyanna posted:

Taking Notes makes me so amazingly loving mad, especially when I have to follow a very narrow path of notes. Mario has a habit of completely veering off in a different direction if I so much as slightly move the thumbstick. :negative:

Wooded Kingdom along the wall overlooking the Deep Woods, right? Rolling is the easier way to do it, because then you just have to tilt left and right gently.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I learned from the map pamphlet thing that the people of New Donk are not humans, but New Donkians

so it's cool, it's fine everybody, crisis averted

Which means they likely evolved from Kongs :pseudo:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunatic Sledge posted:

The jump rope was bad, I found volleyball to be way, way worse

Once you break 50 jumps the only real secret is doing small jumps and getting a rhythm. Alternatively, if you can slide a moped in there and get the jumps started successfully, it has more bounce and less downtime on medium to big sized jumps. I think I cracked 70 with the moped, my roommate made the 100 without it after shaking his head at me.

My jump roping might have been less successful but it was way more rad

Volleyball is actually really easy; Stand in the center and flick Cappy at the ball.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirBukkake posted:

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space and I'm bad

Wait, what? I thought you could only make them choke on Cappy :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The single biggest thing that'll gently caress your score is the eyes. Make sure you have them on the right sides.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's not bad, but I don't find it as catchy as the original.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Computer posted:

I know right? Just listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrCLBuf0Yec

Jokes aside, I told my mom that a new Mario game like 64 just came out (she loves 64) and she started humming the slide music :3: It's an extremely catchy song.

Well played, you son of a bitch :golfclap:.

I quite like the Mario and Sonic Olympics version;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4226ScF5tU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Post-game question about Darker Side; How far through am I if I've made it to the second room with the fog?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Bounce better

Really though, I think you just need to run the course a few times to get a feel for the physics and what bouncing will do at certain angles. Try and bounce off the turns near the end of them so you will bounce right into the next one. Don't bounce close to the bottom of angles because you'll get caught in the dip and lose your momentum. You make up time against the other racers by making your turns as short as possible.

Also bouncing off solid objects gives you more speed than snow. Use this to abuse the second course in post-game by just pinballing off the walls in the hall halfway through the course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaubocks posted:

after beating the game i've just been going back to old kingdoms and cleaning house. i'm up to over 600 moons now and i'm working on my new donk city revisit and god loving drat i'm reminded how good this stage is

https://twitter.com/kaubocks/status/926311181052125184

i haven't even set foot in the dark/darker side stages yet. this game is insane. i love it. it's my favorite mario by a country mile right now

There's a P-Button the building rooftop to your left as you're falling that creates platforms to run across.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Octopus fight is easy as hell. Fly over him with a Gushen, hold Jump until he cries uncle. Repeat twice more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Can someone tell me how to get the Moon here please?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cheers. I figured out I needed a Bullet Bill, just couldn't figure out how to get one to there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

garfield hentai posted:

How in the poo poo do I get the (last non post game world) ufo by the chapel? I read online that you're supposed to let it fly away, pan around in first person mode then grab it when it respawns next to you but even when I'm riiiiiight next to it it dashes away when I move or throw my hat. Landing on it from above as a frog doesn't work either.

Get loving lucky with timing a homing Cappy shot, in my experience.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Consistent, repeated long jumps isn't a skill you really get tested on at any other point in the game. I'm pretty sure most people find it difficult to pull off.

It's pretty drat easy to time, all you have to do is hold the stick forward and press ZL+B as you land on the next block. They're spaced properly for it so once you start you're golden.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RCarr posted:

In my opinion it would have been better if there wasn’t a heart every 30 seconds. It would have made it truly challenging.

Someone's never had a segment of that level just go horribly wrong for them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

I'm hung up on two things: the scooterless level (I know I'll get it eventually)

This one's a tricky bastard. You need to get a rhythm of alternating between Triple and Long jumps to get through it. You also have to make absolutely sure you're not going to land at a point that hits with a wall. If you climb up a ledge, you're not gonna make the next P-Switch. (Oh and be aware there's a bonus Moon in the same place as the Scooter version).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Atown posted:

Finished the main game last weekend and I went back to collect a bunch of moons (up to 576). Finally decided to check out dark side and gently caress even more boss fights. They are the least fun part of the game for me and it just feels like a chore. The extra high moon jumps make the camera that much harder in the small areas.

Use your shadow to figure out where you'll actually land. That's what it's for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

alf_pogs posted:

this is the best iteration of peach

:wrong:

In Mario+Rabbids she just rocks up out of nowhere, with a heavy cannon that belches death over a wide area, to come join the fun of her own initiative.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Phillby posted:

Make sure you get the eyes the right way round.

Or just take a picture on your phone and get back to the fun parts of the game

Seriously, 90% of the time your failing score is because you got the eyes the wrong way round. And you gotta look close to be drat sure they're on the right side.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If Pauline is singing Jump Up, Superstar!, does that mean Peach is singing the Honeylune Ridge: Escape song?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe my eyes are bad!

Try placing them on the opposite sides, that's what tanks most people's scores.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McDragon posted:

What about that loving sheep herding post game Wooded Kingdom one? gently caress that

almost went and bought one to make up but I did it in the end and then punted that stupid sheep back into the void

The bonus sheep is actually easier to punt to the target than the regular one because there's a ledge at the end to keep the little poo poo from running off the ledge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Finally got the moon for the Class S bounce race, time to take a sip from my "There is only one track" mug.

Oh buddy are you wrong :munch:.

The second track looks hard at first, but you just need to remember that you bounce real fast off of hard surfaces. Pinball off the walls in the hall halfway through and you will massively overtake everyone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I already got the Class A for it, but I'm not relishing the Class S.

It's not as hard as you think once you know to bounce off the walls instead of the angled floor. Once you get that trick down, it's very doable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The "FWOOMP" at the end :stwoon:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally beat Long Journey's End and figured out how to skip the harder parts of it. :peanut:

Once you get to the gliding portion, waggle in the tornados. You get more than enough altitude to soar right to the painting on the platform past the Forks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurtofan posted:

Odyssey 2 better have a spooky kingdom

Luigi's Mansion

People keep wanting ghosts and forgetting about Bonneton's happy little ghost folk :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Walrus posted:

discussion of being spooked made me realize the one thing this game is missing is an ominous underwater level. All the water levels are so cheery and there's no real deep water. where's my giant scary rear end eel nintendo??

Keep playing.

• Locked thread