Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I played 3D world entirely solo and I had a marvelous time. I don't get why people think multiplayer held it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd say that the "diminishing returns" on NSMB are due to the fact the Wii U didn't sell well to begin with. Even then, NSMBU was one of the system's most successful games, and Mario Maker is essentially an installment of the series because it uses NSMB's overall gameplay.

For all the poo poo NSMB2 got it's the fifth best selling 3DS game of all time, so. There's still an audience there.

There's still steam in 2D Mario. It's one of those cases where the prevailing attitude among fans differs highly from that of the public.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The thing though is that NSMB exists because it was a response to a niche that people were asking for and clearly still want a helluva lot. Yeah, maybe it exists because it's somewhat easier to produce, but I don't think you can say it's something that they've FLOODED stuff with so much as they wanted a big franchise represented on both their consoles for their respective lifespans. It's just that the Wii U died fast and the 3DS didn't. I mean, MK8 and MK7 aren't separated by that much time either.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going back to that well if it sells well enough, and there's something timeless about 2D Mario gameplay that I can pick it up and have fun with any installment. Your mileage may very of course. But I don't think that's keeping Nintendo from taking risks; look at Odyssey.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They kind of did the whole "Bowser tries to beat Mario at his own game" in 3D World with him using the power ups, so I'm somewhat conflicted.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just meant that in the sense that Bowser has done a boss fight where he emulates Mario before. The hat thing sounds super cool but part of me also wants to see Bowser with his own tricks.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's almost like pedigree and consistent quality have an impact on people's expectations and reactions.

EDIT - he has PS4 in his name, also.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Argue posted:

So, early adopters: how are the prospects of a captureless run looking?

not an early adopter, but impossible. some of its bosses require capturing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wonder if Nabbit and the Broodals are the same species.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No. No.

Put it back.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man how amazing was the Donkey Kong level during the festival

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m disappointed other peopl don’t seem to like the Broodals as much as I do. There’s something charmingly Looney Tunes about them.

And Rango takes after Goofy. How can you not love that?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Glad to know I’m not alone then

Also that reminds me, why didn’t Bowser invite his son to his wedding?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Night Blade posted:

The Broodals look like Sonic: Lost World rejects.

I don’t see how beyond both sets of designs deriving heavily from a classic cartoon aesthetic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing that disappointed me in postgame; The paintings in Mushroom Kingdom do the classic "Pa-pa-pa pa-pa PA!" but no "Let's-a-go!" afterwards. Get it right, Nintendo, god! :rolleyes:

Mario doesn’t do “oooomph!” when you get tossed out either.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The dragon just stays there after you defeat it.

Its eyes wide open.

Staring.

Unblinking.

Forever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Frankston posted:

I was very disappointed that I couldn't take control of it. It's not wearing a hat!

You can’t control what’s dead.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... I did realize the thing about the eyes or that you could talk to it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Does anyone know where Power Moon 61 is in the Wooded Kingdom? It’s the last one I need to complete the area but even with it marked on the map I can’t find it.

Edit - Nevermind. The Talkatoo revealed what it was immediately.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 30, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Does anyone have any tips for the Lake Kingdom Master Cup? No matter what I do I come in a few seconds behind that drat gold Koopa.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sockser posted:

I think it’s real hosed up that the game renames Podobos to Fireballs or Whatever

They've officially been named Lava Bubbles in the west for years.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so it turns out there is a point to buying moons

If you max out the moon counter to 999 by buying moons, you get a secret ending where Peach's castle now has a top hat on it. If you climb to the top and throw Cappy onto the point of the hat, it plays a special animation.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

this is the closest that Waluigi ever come to being playable in a main title.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cobalt Viper posted:

That sounds fake as heck, also some Japanese guy has 12000 moons so I don't think it maxes out ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwSOE5B4bw

it's real

I shouldn't have said it maxes out, but that's what happens when you have 999.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't get the hang of these RC Car controls at all. I can't get the one timer challenge for the star to save my life.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't figure out how to turn reliably to begin with

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

another tip for fighting Broodals: if you whack the first bomb Hariet sets in her attack phase after you've jumped on her head, it'll shoot up and knock her out of her helmet.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nintendo estimates 2 million of this game sold in 3 days.

Holy hell.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I hope you guys run around New Donk City in the Classic Costume exclusively post-game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It was nice of Cranky to get back in shape for the festival.

Or does he just morph into his younger, more fit form in 2D?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a post-game puzzle.

It's on Dark Side.

I need to get up there to get up there to get the three berries I need to eat as Yoshi for the 2nd Power Moon. Does anyone know how to get up there?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

thanks

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was using his tongue grab but it wasn't giving me enough height.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

did anyone notice the coins on the Moon are Star Bits?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kaubocks posted:

can anyone give me a hint about this post-game moon i can't find?

its in the pipe in ruined kingdom, where there's a charging chuck in a cage and infinitely spawning mummies. i got the obvious moon in here but i absolutely cannot figure out where the second one is. sadly there doesn't seem to be a talkatoo in this stage so i have nothing to work with

the last mummy you need to run over is in the starting area up top.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

WITCHCRAFT

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

can someone point out to me where exactly that hidden six heart is? I've been all up and down those vegetable piles and I can't find it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

thanks.

and of course, I use it and don't even get hit for the first time.

the universe is trying to teach me something.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and what about Peach's thoughts on the matter

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The filler moons aren't really filler. They're there so progression isn't gated behind skill that's beyond what kids are capable of. They allow the difficulty curve to be adjusted for children; they do those "sillier", "easier" moons, progress, learn more about the game, and get better, and then go back for the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Luigi's Balloon World is pretty great.

Makes getting coins pretty trivial though.

• Locked thread