Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I keep wondering if the background of Cascade Kingdom is a reference to one of the waterfall backgrounds in Super Mario All-Stars' version of SMB.

The backgrounds have a lot of effort put into them in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh God I wasn't expecting that car to blow up when I shot it with the tank.

It's like you never played GTA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Bowser amiibo is almost a must when collecting purple coins. Though it's embarrassing when you scan it and the coins turn out to be right close by. Otherwise though they hide them in some obtuse places. (and in challenge rooms)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That you can acquire moons by the dozen just drunkenly stumbling around and buy extras from coin grinding seems to have freed up the developers to get a little nuts with a few things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That there's forty zillion moons and you can literally buy them in postgame to fill out unlock requirements seems to suggest that Nintendo fully expects only total maniacs to actually try to 100% the game, and has let the ravenous monsters off the leash to design some fiendishly difficult moons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Beating that enemy gives you a super heart which is helpful for that first section.

And it's not really hard once you have the pattern down. Though I found that with a lot of bosses, in the boss rush of the Broodals on the Dark Side I died a few times, then something clicked and I powered through the rest with minimal difficulty.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think Mario makes you briefly invincible and Peach heals you? Those felt like cheating. And I think while any Mario, Bowser and Peach will work for those effects, only the wedding trio will grant you the costumes (early).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kurtofan posted:

I'm Moon Crazed, I see moons in my dreams, I see moons in the sky, I want more moons

You're a lunatic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

I dunno about good husband but he's a hell of a wedding planner, he should just do that

He hired the Broodals to do all that for him, though.

Ironically at the end they're worried about how this fiasco has ruined their business.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

That reminds me in a game with a moped how the gently caress is Jaxi gonna control like that?

Jaxi's one of those cases where the controls are deliberately difficult as part of the challenge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Worst levels in the game are the water ones. Not because I think they're bad but because there's two fuckin' water levels and no haunted house levels what the gently caress nintendo.

Also I'm not entirely sure what to do now. I took my time and I'm still kinda wanting more content.

The first world is kind of a haunted place, though all the ghosts are friendly. I like that it's all made out of felt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Coaaab posted:

Mine was the Banzai Bill in the level before the main story final boss.

Almost every time they make sure to introduce Banzai Bill smashing through a wall of destructible blocks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mario as the rocket always makes me think a Portal turret.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

My favorite thing about SMO is how in post game everything is so chill with people chilling out all over the place, vacationing.

And you can find NPCs from other worlds in the darndest places.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Macaluso posted:

I think the hatless sections are really loving clever BECAUSE you get so used to using the hat. The one on the Dark Side of the Moon where you do that one bullet bill stage without your hat is one of my favorite stages in the entire game. Getting the bonus moon on that stage was SO awesome.

That being said, I don't know what they're gonna do the next time a Mario game comes out. Cappy's added movement just feels RIGHT it's honestly gonna feel like Mario is gimped a little when he doesn't have Cappy anymore. Likewise, I feel like they need to incorporate Cappy into the Smash moveset now

It's not too different from FLUDD or even the Galaxy spin, it seems they generally tack a gimmick onto the controls derived from Mario 64 in most games now, but can revert to the basics for challenges.

Kinda funny how Mario 64 got the basics so rock solid right the first time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure between this game and BOTW, Nintendo just loves watching speedrunners go.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I don't really see the need for every game to be 'revolutionary' rather than just have good design, and Odyssey certainly mixes up the formula in a ton of ways already. The reason we're not getting a new F-Zero is because they can't think of a gimmick for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nina posted:

I have to agree. Positive innovation is great but innovation for innovation's sake can just lead to fumbling, something Nintendo itself has been guilty of with some decisions. I mean it basically killed Star Fox Zero

I liked that game (though I may have just been desperate for a new Star Fox) but also brings to mind Nintendo's motion control experiments in general. People seem to have impossible standards for Nintendo games while being amazed that any other developer deigns to change things even slightly from formula.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Triple jump does seem easier than it was in SM64. Though the issue always is it's easy to do when under no pressure but really hard when you are.

I have been wondering what from this game might get referenced in future games. I'd be surprised if the next Mario Kart and Smash Bros didn't have a New Donk City stage. And possibly a playable Pauline in Mario Kart. (might have a New Donk scooter and/or taxi as car frames) It does seem like they've been trying to increase the female representation in Mario games (see also Toadette's appearance, a first for a 'main' series Mario game) so they probably had that in mind.

And maybe a moon-themed Rainbow Road, though that might get spoilery.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seaside kingdom race is even easier to cheese in postgame where a bunch of forks provide a shortcut up to the finish line.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Between this and BotW I'm pretty sure Nintendo's attitude to speedrunners is 'godspeed, you loving lunatics'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You change your outfits so Mario won't get too hot or too cold.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The fun part about Bowser is that he's a cartoon supervillain but also a legitimately loving badass monster who's fun to fight and fun to play. Giant horned spiky dragon turtle who can be a comedic cartoon villain, a hilarious manchild, a bumbling dad, a monstrous warrior king and somehow all at the same time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've got everything except the Darker Side and a couple of Dark Side paintings. I just like the excuse to wander around the worlds more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chances are by the time the prices would go down for age, they'll start going up for rarity. The consoles usually become much cheaper at least, though the Wii U who knows.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pokemon games in particular tend to be in demand because of the forward compatibility. You need the full daisy chain of handhelds and consoles, and to spend the time playing every one, but you can transfer Pokemon from Ruby and Sapphire all the way to their remakes and onward, and in some cases access move combinations that you can't get in the more recent games. I think the R/S remakes even have a special acknowledgement for taking a Pokemon all the way from the originals.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like you literally have to 'kick every rock' anyway, the game's pretty good at telegraphing moons with the big glowy thing, also the hint features and names and all that crap. You can basically beat most of the game wandering around drunkenly in a sombrero and boxers, and I think that's goddamn rad. You can choose your level of engagement and change it at any time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do wonder if they might do DLC (they already have a patch coming up) or a SMG2 style sequel. Would kick rear end if they expanded on the Ruined Kingdom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is it really that hard to find a Bowser amiibo? I think he has a ton of variants, between the Smash Bros one, the Mario one, the Skylanders one (really), and the Odyssey one. Then again down here they don't seem to have the ridiculous shortages that I keep hearing about in the USA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You can't even complete the first world without captures.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think we're beyond spoilers, though your thoughtfulness is appreciated.

Bayonetta's a new comparison, usually people say :darksouls:, especially the world you fight it in.

Fun part about the giant robot is that it's made of wooden blocks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darker Side is basically a test of endurance and getting individual sections down to muscle memory. Also luck.

I still reckon the whole game is basically a modern take on Banjo-Tooie. Losing lives means little but a brief setback, fewer, larger worlds, with lots of individual collectables with relatively little fanfare, not kicking you back to the start for finding one, world-specific transformations that open up different modes of gameplay and options...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It depends on what you're getting at. Everyone has their own favourite nooks and crannies in certain levels.

• Locked thread