Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'll end up disappearing from the thread for a few months like with Zelda since this seems to be a very exploration and discovery oriented game.

CAN'T WAIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah speed running feels like a thing you do with a game you've played for 500 hours and know inside and out. Doing it with a new game feels almost disrespectful somehow. I know it's not. Chill.

People should obviously play games the way they enjoy them. For some it's buying a strategy guide or using an online walkthrough from moment one as though a modern game like BotW or Odyssey is Milo's Secret loving Castle. I don't get it at all, but whatever, you do you I guess.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Norns posted:

I'm going to have to get the wife to stop playing stardew so I can play this

Time for a second switch

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Like it's over dudes, DLC is here to stay and never going away. You just have to hope it's good DLC.

So far, in general, Nintendo DLC has been quality content worthy of the pricetag. That, or free updates which is also cool and good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

ive been a mario game player all my life and i think this is the first one i have been excited about prior to release

The hype for SMB3 was loving intense

I was pretty excited about Galaxy2 since Galaxy was soooo good, but not like this! :mario:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh no! Spoilers in a Mario game? I can't deal with that.

Seriously? It's a Mario game? There is minimal plot to be spoilered. People have taken the don't spoil things way too far if they are worried about getting spoilered for SMO. What's next? Freaking out over spoilers in Tic Tac Tetris?

Not wanting spoilers is not Freaking Out.

Being upset that jerks spoil things they know you don't want spoiled isn't Freaking Out.

You not caring doesn't mean that someone else caring is dumb.

Not wanting to have something spoiled for you isn't "worrying" it's just a preference.

Sounds like you have some growing up to do.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm buying physical! From a store! I prepaid! I'll pick it up after work, probably!

everything is cool. no complain

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This really should be the best place to avoid spoilers, pre-release. It's common courtesy and also standard practice if not forum policy to use spoiler tags until then.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is there a list of what Amiibos do what things in this game yet?

The new ones give clothes, but otherwise no.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Captureless except bosses would still be cool but I think it's a tad early to declare it impossible.

Note that I have not watched any videos other than official ones and don't want to.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Wait, how are some people playing this game already? I thought it wasn't supposed to be available until midnight?

Lawbreakers!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

the invisible road challenge room on the dark side can one hundred percent go to hell

I brute-force cheesed that with a Peach Amiibo after a while because it was just miserable.

I'm hung up on two things: the scooterless level (I know I'll get it eventually) and the drat volleyball.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's inside your Peach Amiibo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This advice may only work with the pro controller, but to do the hat spin, I let go with my left hand and flick the controller forward and to the right, pivoting my right wrist like I was throwing a frisbee (or a loving hat) and it works probably 99% of the time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What do you mean by "quad jumps"? Is that jump, hat, dive, hat, dive?

I'm pretty sure the post explains itself. Long jump into triple jump.

I think that's what they're calling a quad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

plape tickler posted:

The cap's voice really annoys me.

caAAaapeeEEy

At least it doesn't talk much. Pretty much only when you get a spin-on-a-thing star really.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, and why can't I just plug in the cart and play the end boss right away?

Are BotW and Chrono Trigger the only games that encourage this?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Diabetic posted:

Yeah but you had to unlock the End of Time which is about 1/4 of the way through the main story, so not right away, but still close.

Well, even in BotW you still have to beat the plateau before heading to Ganon

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

I mean learning loads of button combos to do stuff. It's a single button in two player and it works so much better.

It's not loving Mortal Combat. Jesus Christ.

Jump. Throw. Crouch. :gonk: stop my brain was full after jump!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's even easier to just watch someone play it on YouTube. You can 100% the game with only half an A press.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reality Winner posted:

My favorite one so far has been the seaside kingdom race where you can control a starfish and jet up a cliff to beat the koopas by like 20 seconds.

Yeah I never even used a triple jump there lol.

Swim down to a cheepcheep, up to the surface, speed flower over to the cave entrance, water bubble up, hat jump. Skip the whole cave.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wait no, don't change the subject. I'm still mad that I need to master a basic technique in order to complete optional post game content!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Speedrunning is cool, it takes a crazy amount of motor control and reaction time and it makes old games interesting again.
And I'm sure if they weren't still making shitloads of new games I might be more interested.

It is the year 20XX
No games have been made since the NES
I just beat KARNOV in 09:15:42

I don't care that other people like it. It's cool that people like different stuff. I watch GDQ occasionally.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

How do you possess a piranha plant? I float up to them as Cappy and they just eat me.

The answer is on this very page.

I'm going to be very amused if it turns out it's another totally optional thing that doesn't work in two player, but I doubt it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

What does it give you then? What’s the point?

Your Cereal Box is out looking for a hint. Come back in five minutes. Also, have a few coins.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The metal cubes can't be hosed with till way later on, don't worry

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Every 2D part is good and wonderful and I wish there were more.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

i only needed the joycons for one moon in the sand kingdom, pro controller does the trick for the rest of them

I got every moon with a Pro Controller. Which are you thinking of?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

this might be an "alf pogs needs to get gud" thing but i found it way way easier with the joycons

It probably was way easier since you can just shake the one and not also be shaking your steering stick. Took me a few tries with the pro once I figured out how the hell to get over there in the first place.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wildtortilla posted:

I didn't even think to shake the controller as most captured enemies. This explains all the coins surrounding power lines!
You can get those by just pressing B

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cobalt Viper posted:

Flick it to the side like you're throwing a frisbee. It helps to take your right hand off of it when you do it to get the full flick motion.

Or your left. You can flick it either way.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wildtortilla posted:

I have 413 moons and the snow bound s class race moon is the first moon I've given up on. gently caress that stupid mini game.

Same.

I went back and got that as one of my last 4.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When you get to the section with the walled-in corridor halfway through, bounce off the walls instead of the angled floor. You bounce much faster off solid surfaces than snow and you will just pinball right on through.

fwiw to frustrated readers, I tried this after reading it here and couldn't make it work but eventually beat that race without it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Getting the jump rope talkatoo glitch to work is way more satisfying than actually pressing A 100 times.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Natural 20 posted:

Tell you what.

I too want less totally optional content in my games

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"Uninspired" moons ago tend to take like 30 seconds to find other than obvious repeats like the dog or race or whatever that are easy to skip if you want.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

impotent rage
Primal Rage sequel sounding weak af

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

Super Mario Odyssey should have had more moons

Super Mario Odyssey is perfect but also should have had more moons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mons Hubris posted:

Do you have to get every purple coin to get enough souvenirs for the last power moon of that type from Toadette in Muhsroom Kingdom? I’ve got them all except artwork ones now and just trying to figure out how much time I’m about to waste this weekend figuring out which 3 purple coins I missed in each world.

Yes, you need them all.

Got a Bowser amiibo? :mario:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I just got to the Metro world and I feel like this game is a bit of let down after all the rave reviews. I like it, but the design seems more like a Mario tech demo than an actual game. Galaxy 2 was the last Mario I played and I think it blows this out of the water.

I get liking Galaxy more. I think Galaxy 2 is probably the best 3D mario game, too.

I really don't get this 'Tech Demo' meme about Odyssey. It's a different sort of thing to Galaxy, but it is very clearly a fully featured Mario game with at least as much of a plot as usual, mandatory and optional goals and collectibles, fully orchestrated original music, new settings and enemies, fun boss fights..... what's missing? Not different, but missing?

• Locked thread