Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
got my first mechanical keyboard, a Keychron.

idk why I got it with reds, they are way too sensitive and I make lots more mistakes. I have some browns coming soon, hopefully those are better.

Also I've learned not to do a dramatic keyh smash for emphasis like I did on my old rubber dome/membrane Dell QuietKey, messed up my finger in the process. Would O-rungs allow me to return to this habit?

I did have fun programming the LEDs to indicate whether I was on the Mac or Windows layout ( I harmonized them to make going back and forth easier).

It does sometimes start repeating a letter without stopping until I hit another key, I think that might be an artifact of using it with a KVM, though.

Are there any recommended contraptions for cleaning keebs to keep them nice? When I was in HS I had this little keyboard vacuum that was pretty cool, I think it even ran off USB, but I think it's dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
All I have ever really cared about is having ctrl where god intended but maybe it's time to get a fancy keyboard.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

George posted:

All I have ever really cared about is having ctrl where god intended but maybe it's time to get a fancy keyboard.

Both sides of the board? Yes, the only places it should be. Or are you one of those "swap CapsLock for Ctrl" heretics?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I simply glare at my keyboard to hold down control. skill issue?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
simply lol if your keyb doesnt come with a larger ctrl keycap that goes above lshift and a dip switch to configure what scancode it sends when you press it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

got my copy of Shift Happens today, looking forward to flipping through it this weekend

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cheque_some posted:

idk why I got it with reds, they are way too sensitive and I make lots more mistakes. I have some browns coming soon, hopefully those are better.

Also I've learned not to do a dramatic keyh smash for emphasis like I did on my old rubber dome/membrane Dell QuietKey, messed up my finger in the process. Would O-rungs allow me to return to this habit?

I did have fun programming the LEDs to indicate whether I was on the Mac or Windows layout ( I harmonized them to make going back and forth easier).

It does sometimes start repeating a letter without stopping until I hit another key, I think that might be an artifact of using it with a KVM, though.

Are there any recommended contraptions for cleaning keebs to keep them nice? When I was in HS I had this little keyboard vacuum that was pretty cool, I think it even ran off USB, but I think it's dead now.

this was my issue and why I preferred clears, but I am persevering (coz other than the switches I prefer everything about the keychron) and getting better

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Kvantum posted:

Both sides of the board? Yes, the only places it should be. Or are you one of those "swap CapsLock for Ctrl" heretics?

imagine being this wrong

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I bought a wooting two HE. What's this thread think about that?

Slick looking keyboard but I'm keeping it boxed up for now until my infant daughter stops projectile vomiting on my desk. My corsair k70 is getting sticky with baby sick and cat hair

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

I bought a wooting two HE. What's this thread think about that?

Slick looking keyboard but I'm keeping it boxed up for now until my infant daughter stops projectile vomiting on my desk. My corsair k70 is getting sticky with baby sick and cat hair

They are very cool and good and they open up some pretty interesting input possibilities. Probably the first kind of keyboard that is actually good for gaming.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

George posted:

imagine being this wrong

43 years of muscle memory and using Ctrl + Enter right-handed to add https://www. and .com automatically or any number of dozens of Word or Excel shortcuts says you're the wrong ones.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my wife is talking about getting another keyboard :/

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

*slowly looks to my right at the pile of 9 unused keyboards*

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

is she single?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mewse posted:

*slowly looks to my right at the pile of 9 unused keyboards*

this I think is why I’ll just bite the bullet and encourage her to get a kinesis. it’s inevitable at this point

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
kinesis makes a good keyboard

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

cheque_some posted:

terrible news op

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Gearman posted:

They are very cool and good and they open up some pretty interesting input possibilities. Probably the first kind of keyboard that is actually good for gaming.

I bought it for typing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

reds are good. maybe learn to type better

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

reds are mid

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

reds are mid but browns are worse.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Broken-in browns are nice, but also pretty polarizing. Reds are just outclassed by any of the thousands of other linear switches that are out nowadays.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

reds are mid but browns are worse.

wtf

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jenny Agutter posted:

this I think is why I’ll just bite the bullet and encourage her to get a kinesis. it’s inevitable at this point

moonlander

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

maybe theyre not worse than reds. idk. browns arent that bad but i like heavier switches and browns are a just little squishy. i think i am a heavy typer though.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

why is this preferable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

maybe theyre not worse than reds. idk. browns arent that bad but i like heavier switches and browns are a just little squishy. i think i am a heavy typer though.

I defo disliked browns until I got this keychron with the retro profile. they’re a bit too easy to press but the rounder profile means I don’t catch them too much and make typos

stiffer switches would be better and I do believe you can swap them out but there are a LOT of options and also I have no idea how much it might costs

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
so i got a recent employer to foot the bill for a prev-gen ergodox and i gotta say that aside from the split keyboard thing i honestly wasn't a fan of the ortholinear thing. and i really wanted to like it! but after a year i could tell i was actively avoiding ever using it, which is obviously the opposite of the point. maybe it works for some folks but i'm drat happy with my normal, non-ortho ctrl v2

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The kinesis advantage 2 is a medical device. It doesn't matter if its fun or what switches it has. I can type on it without pain so that's it. Gimmie the domes!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
so i bought a new kb last year around BF from a chinese company called dareu: https://www.dareu.com/category/keyboard/Mechanical-Tri-mode-Gasket-Hotswap-Keyboard-A87pro/ (sky blue of course)

i bought it cuz it matched my reqs: i wanted to use it on multiple devices (it supports wired, bt, and comes with a usb receiver and can switch with a slider and also switch windows vs mac with a kb shortcut), it had quality features like gasket mounting and pbt caps, offered brown switches (the best kind) - they have their own caps called violet gold which are basically browns, and some inoffensive lighting options

it msrps around $200ish altho the company doesnt really focus on us channels so i ended up buying it off of aliexpress from a 3rd party store with coupons and discounts and got it for $8x

anyway i was a bit hesitant on the quality since id never heard of them but the build quality is actually extremely good, better than i expected. a bit heavy tho, about 2 lbs. has some nifty things like multiple usb cord guides on the underside and the usb plug itself comes with a plastic housing that perfectly slots into the keyboard itself so its pretty snug, also comes with a slot to hold the usb receiver and software that works well enough to customize it

some of the docs came in partial mandarin so i had to do some ocr translating. their support responded pretty quickly to a question i had about the charging light. their website can be a bit janky tho. also only 1 year warranty altho iirc this is also keychrons coverage

overall 9.5/10, wish the caps allowed light thru the symbols and while usb plugged theres a mildly annoying light for the charging function that never goes away

figured ppl might be interested in some lesser known makers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice review.. but.. a bit heavy?????? is your desk made of denim?????

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cheque_some posted:

Did you get the K8? I bought one recently to replace my the Ducky I accidentally spilled water on and fried. It's sick to finally have a wireless mechanical keyboard.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jenny Agutter posted:

why is this preferable

it is More Advanced

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

idgi it doesn’t even have bowls

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Been rocking a set of Cerakeys on the moonlander for a month or two, took a sec to get used to basically typing on a terlet but man is it nice how they stay pretty cool to the touch and have a bit of heft to them. Still want to try a good set of metal caps if I can ever find some in XDA profile that aren't stupid expensive.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

InternetOfTwinks posted:

took a sec to get used to basically typing on a terlet

a newbie to RTO huh

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Ok so I hate the moonlander. Love the positioning ability but seems more laid out/designed for coding vs traditional writing which is more what I do. Going to keep trying, but also realized how much I use the numpad for work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can buy a number pad for $20 if its that important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

kinesis even makes ones with cherry browns and a usb hub