Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Threw some Kailh Box Navies in my Alt, man they were not kidding about these switches being heavy. Already getting used to it though, and I think I'm into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Still need to get around to mapping my numpad, was planning on using it for auxiliary functions in video games as well as having DAW shortcuts close at hand but :effort:

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

QMK includes a caps word function that's handy sometimes when typing constants, have that bound to a key as well as doubletap left shift. I have backtick on ctrl+' since usually I'm using it as a quotation and that's a really uncommon shortcut. Caps lock key is tap for escape, hold for control.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Keychron's got the Q0 with QMK support as well if that's up your alley.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Do y'all have any recommendations for like, a brush type thing I can use to brush out between the keycaps from time to time? Have a cat that sheds like nothing I've ever seen and I'd like to keep it under control. I suppose compressed air should work decent but idk if there's a better solution out there or something.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I went with the box navies and they felt pretty heavy at first but now I'm starting to wonder if I can go a level further beyond tbh. I won't be satisfied until I have to start using my forearm muscles and a small gunpowder charge is ignited with each keypress to emphasize my typing skills.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Oh hey, just noticed we're mouse twins

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Probably won't fix it but you could try reflashing the firmware just in case something got jacked there. Idk if it's hotswap compatible but maybe replace the ; switch?

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I don't know a ton about electronics but yeah that sounds like something's jacked up with the trace running along the home row. If the switches are still okay you can save a pretty penny by grabbing a barebones kit, with hotswap switches it's literally like lego simple. Probably grab a few extra just in case you bend a contact while not paying attention, did that with one or two the first time I did it.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

https://gist.github.com/KohlJary/ae4875c25c678c4fbc3b26539d0c3776

Finally took the time to make a useful keymap for this numpad I've had for a minute now. Was having a hard time figuring out how to bind it, until I realized I can just turn it sideways with the big + and 0 keys at the top, waaaay more usable that way imo. Integrates with my i3 configuration nicely.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I have my F-keys on a layer on my right hand home row keys and the row above and below, numbers on the left hand. Took a minute to get acclimated but now it's as natural as anything else and I've got the layer hold keys on Z and / so I never need to leave the main three rows to hit them.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Oh F5 I use often enough I have it on a mouse button and also on a key in my regular layer

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Biggest difference for me was moving my modifier keys up from way down at the bottom to holding caps/enter/tab, and putting backspace/delete on [ and ], with brackets and parentheses on a layer on the left side of home row. Means I basically never need to leave the main 3 rows at any point while typing, which I find to be more comfortable. Different strokes though for sure.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I got a moonlander and yeah it's a significant comfort difference for me. Like night and day for my shoulders at the end of the day. Definitely took a little getting used to though, and the default layout is hot garbage imo. I can throw mine up in a pastebin or something if you're curious.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Just a Moron posted:

Thanks, I would like to take a look.

https://github.com/KohlJary/qmk_firmware/blob/kohl-config/keyboards/moonlander/keymaps/KohlJary/keymap.c

Need to take a pass at cleaning things up here and there, but here's the general keymap I'm working with. Primary goal is to get as much as possible available within the main three key rows, using mod-tap functionality for layers and modifiers to save space.The f keys on L_2 probably look weird as hell but it's what I'm adjusted to, don't sleep on F13-24 too, 12 free shortcut keys to assign in pretty much every program. Caps word fuckin' rules too, way more useful than caps lock.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Gotta get the extreme 45 degree tenting going with the split though, makes the whole thing really click comfort wise. The Moonlander platform thing is nice for that, but pretty overpriced if I'm being honest. Could probably 3d print something to accomplish the same thing, or even a resourceful trip to the hardware store or something.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

The display thing is nifty but I bet those caps feel like absolute rear end to type on. Like a mac chiclet board but slippery.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

QMK deeply appeals to the dumb tinkering side of my brain and I've been nerding out over little changes to my layout for a while now. Use 0% of it for gaming though, have a layer without all that crap for games so default keybindings just work. And for the LEDs, yeah you can just... turn them off if you don't like them. It's not really a factor in the price of the keyboards from what I can tell since it's such a standard feature.

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 24, 2023

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I've got a big container full of spare Kailh Box Navies and unless I somehow find a heavier switch I should be set for a good long while.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

If I wanted to get a set of metal keycaps made, is that the kind of thing I could just take a CAD file to a local machine shop for? XDA profile so it would just be like 70 copies of the exact same piece. Weirdly hard to find metal keycaps in that profile, I'd think the simplicity of manufacturing would make it easier.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Heavy switches, heavy caps, maximum clicky clacky. At least that's the logic I'm using. I like each keystroke to be as intentional feeling as I can get it, still looking for any switches heavier than Kailh Box Navies.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Yeah moving backspace/enter/tab under the thumbs makes typing way more comfortable imo. Also I actually use my right thumb now when I'm typing so I imagine that helps with my speed to some degree.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Do the same thing with keycaps from as many different profiles as you can find, legends be damned

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I've been wanting to do something similar for some time now so keep me posted

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Browns feel mushy as hell, barely a step up from a membrane imo. I hear clears are better though.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I got the moonlander and it was absolutely worth the money imo

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

So write a custom keymap with an end key, that's just the tip of the iceberg of the poo poo QMK allows you to do

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Been rocking a set of Cerakeys on the moonlander for a month or two, took a sec to get used to basically typing on a terlet but man is it nice how they stay pretty cool to the touch and have a bit of heft to them. Still want to try a good set of metal caps if I can ever find some in XDA profile that aren't stupid expensive.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Finally figured out a numpad layer setup I like:

+ 7 8 9 0
- 4 5 6 /
. 1 2 3 =

Over:

q w e r t
a s d f g
z x c v b

Shift + for *, Shift - for /
Tap right shift to activate the layer one shot, double tap to toggle the layer on/off.

It might be my 'tism showing but I get immense satisfaction out of tailoring my keymap to my personal preference, been thinking of spinning up a little web app to demonstrate what I've come up with.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/8s2JzbB.mp4
Set up some nifty layer/state LED indication stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

https://github.com/KohlJary/qmk_firmware/commits/kohl-config/

Can take a look at the commits from today and should be able to figure the rest out from that I think. Added indicators for all of the different modifier combination states, also split which keys have their LEDs modified depending on the condition.