Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

several kinesises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i have one kinesis with the pads on and another with them off and I don't really notice one way or the other. the one that lacks them used to have them until they started disintegrating, and I don't remember the removal process all that difficult. absolute worst case it would've maybe been a few swipes of goo gone. so go ahead and try the pads imo

edit: to clarify, the disintegration mentioned above would have been the surface fabric eventually coming loose and peeling off, leaving just the foam core exposed. they actually still work fine without the fabric afaict

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

whats the pause break button for anyway

or scroll lock for that matter

do they do anything atm

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

this thinkpad keyboard has a print screen button between right alt and ctrl so i keep taking accidental screenshots every so often

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

it's the boring XP-7 era one, lame. give me the win98 and earlier version, hell yeah

3.1 era one imo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what kind of switches are these

keyboard from 1993 or thereabouts
pretty flat resistance until theres a click, where the resistance drops, a bit before it bottoms out

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

aha yep that looks right

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

this may have been asked befoere, but are there reasonable options for ergonomic kbs with mech switches?

got your answer right here

Roosevelt posted:

i got a new job that pays peanuts but theyre offering to order me supplies so i want to take [kinesis] advantage of that.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

blowfish posted:

same but spacepilot 3d mouse in the expanse (i'm still butthurt nobody has released a driver to make it do regular mouse things outside CAD programs)

i liked the expanse's use of festool boxes as props

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the rub out key isn't doing anything

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

why are apple computer's keyboards so bad?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Get the advantage

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Just bought a Maltron left handed keyboard, gonna get real good at lefty typing.

what’s the other hand going to be doing?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

but watch out, the wrist rest is a doozy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

when i first got a kinesis around 15 years ago i forced myself to also learn dvorak on it since it had the firmware layout toggle - took about a month. it resulted in only knowing how to type dvorak on kinesises, while everywhere else remains qwerty. i could probably get the hang of dvorak pretty quickly on a regular keyboard but haven't bothered

dvorak trip report: doesn't really seem noticeably faster than qwerty tbh, but the dvorak kinesis effectively renders my computer unusable to everyone else so that's kinda nice