Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

blugu64 posted:

Best keyboard, and it natively supports dvorak.

I used to read about keyboards and think about them but after I got a kinesis I stopped because its that good. I miss the topres on the HHKB I sold but not enough to switch away from the kinesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just checked Kinesis' website and they're launching a gaming division???

https://gaming.kinesis-ergo.com/

Looks like a freestyle with backlighting to me.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

maskenfreiheit posted:

keyboards are dumb, i never even learned to touch type and now i can two finger peck on my touch screen just fine

Learn dvorak.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

akadajet posted:

if you want to be smug about what keyboard layout you use

Person who never used topre: 'they're just rubber domes, cherry MX is better"
Person who can't type dvorak: "you just learned it so you could tell everyone you're vegan"
Me: "gently caress i just jizzed all over my 400 dollar keyboard"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

carry on then posted:

i only type on keyboards that cost one million dollars per finished key

The macbook pro keyboard isn't even that great.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Clicks on the cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/StarMark-Clicker-Dog-Training-System/dp/B000FMDIL6

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Echi I swear to god if you make fun of my waifu again I'm going to come out of your monitor like the girl in The Ring.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BONGHITZ posted:

THESE KEYS ARE TOO HARD TO PRESS MY HANDS ARE WEAK AND FAT

When I think about a sexy sentence I want to write my fingers get rock hard.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

a very small horse posted:

the kinesis is goddam impossible to type on and the modifier keys are all kinds of hosed up

Give it a few weeks. You're feeling your body unlearn bad habits and it's annoying at first, but 100% worth it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's like how that cheesy potato lady gags at the carrot. I know you love flat keyboards but this is good for you.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's far more socially acceptable to buy a kinesis because your hands hurt than to know every detail about the minute differences between 12 types of cherry switch.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
oops, this webm is gigantic. Click the link for men in black keyboard.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/GleamingOpulentAnole

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Silver Alicorn posted:

my cheapo mechanical keybaors is starting to get shiny spots on the keys so I guess it's time for a new one. I'm looking at the kinesis freestyle edge and it can come with reds and is $219.

Get the advantage, you'll be so glad you have cups to type in.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

echinopsis posted:

do you guys NEVER want to get laid or what

You can't understand the importance of keyboard cups because unless you have an IT career.

Also, it's because of my grating personality and poor hygiene that I don't get laid, so there.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Silver Alicorn posted:

still leaning more towards the freestyle edge than the advantage. idk imho. bowls sound good but the keyboard looks huge overall

Yeah it's big, but that's in part because your arms should be spread out when you're typing and if you have to cram them into a small space it fucks up your wrists worse. This ergonomic posture pictured is the same width abouts:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mad.radhu posted:

I bought a k-type and I decided I don't really like the speed copper switches so I guess i'll sell it

idk why I keep searching for switches that are better than MX Browns when nothing is

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Soldering tutorials are such bullshit. I'll have my iron at like 400+C and it's literally impossible to melt rosin core without touching the iron directly to it. Like I can have desoldering braid touching a joint and leave that iron on there for an hour, and all that will happen is I'll burn my hand holding the copper.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I can solder anything with enough beer and like 20 tries. I have a digital weller soldering station because I thought it would make it way easier than using my wood burner but gently caress no it's exactly the same difficulty.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anyway, not to kill the discussion, what's cool+good in the world of ergoboards? could consider one if it doesn't look too pain in the rear end for videoshames

Dvorak only kinesis advantage.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Using colemak or workman or whatever is fine, but the gap between Dvorak and qwerty is huge compared to the smaller gap between Dvorak and colemak. The most important thing is to be using a layout that anyone thought about for more than 2 minutes. The advantage of dvorak is that it has super wide compatibility which is why I recommend it over other non-qwerty-layouts. Yes, I realize that you could extend this same argument into just using qwerty in the first place.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Cherry switches are pretty durable. Have you tried mashing it 1000 times to see if it just fixes itself?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this is fuckin sick

Hard to believe they didn't include two blank key caps.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Skim Milk posted:

I hope you spill a diet coke on your iphone

Same, but an ice cold, refreshing and effervescent coconut La Croix.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Who was saying that the empty space on a kinesis is useless?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Theres no goop inside a lucky charm marshmallow.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah I built up the pile slowly as I ate the non marshmallows and then I shoved the entire pile into my mouth at once.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Whenever I talk shop with my dad my mom will chime in "Well I wouldn't know my NAS from a hole in the ground!" even if the conversation didn't touch on any storage topic.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm a doctor of keyboardology and I am prescribing you 2 kinesis boards. One for work, one for home.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The Mattias TP is a flat keyboard that is going to do literally nothing to help your issue. If you have an actual medical hand issue you need to buy a keyboard, from whatever company, that is specifically designed to prevent that problem.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm expensing this, gotta buy new

on the side though i may pick up an ergodox ez off a goon for home

Microsoft has two ergo keyboards that might work for you. The Sculpt and Natural ergonomics are around $50-80. I used to use one and liked it a lot, and the shape is going to be waaaaay better than a flat board for natural hand position.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

yellow borders posted:

the ergo pro will be okay sound wise but the tacitle pro is way too loud; clicky matias switches are about on par with cherry mx blue for sound, if not louder

consider http://matias.ca/laptoppro/mac/ instead

This is a space saving keyboard that has no ergonomic value. It's a novelty for mechanical switch connoisseurs that want to slouch on a laz-e-boy not a serious office worker who has to type for a living.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Silver Alicorn posted:

yes I couldn't resist

Give the bowls 2 weeks of daily use. That's all it takes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I already have like eight places to adjust my volume seems complicated, this "knob" business.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Which kinesis? The advantage, the only one worth buying *cough*, has custom shapes for their cap set, so you wouldn't be able to find aftermarkets for it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I always keep my apartment tidy and vacuumed to impress the women that are never going to be there, plus I imagine that my keyboard collection is sentient and they probably prefer the clean apartment, for example I clean carefully before getting a new keyboard in the mail to make a good impression.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Keeb split and on the far outside, joysticks on the inside.

Mouse... well just use the joystick as a mouse and make plane noises while you browse the internet.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BONGHITZ posted:

my poker 3 keyboard is too small. or my hands are too big

I had to get rid of a HHK2 with topres and blank key caps because it was too small. It was super fun to use, but at the end of the day my hands just hurt too much.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nothing in the cherry series is loud enough to annoy anyone. consider: the kinesis has an buzzer built in to provide audible feedback because the switches are too quiet

as long as you don't go buy a model m you will be fine

To be fair that buzzer is absolutely insane.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The advantage? I don't get that from mine, seems like the same quality as my Filco basically. Hate the chiclet keys they have for the function keys though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There is no keyboard called "the kinesis" yOU NOOB!