Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It definitely felt rushed but I get where they're going emotionally. I'm willing to handwave some of the legal stuff there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OutOfPrint posted:

This whole season felt off, but that last episode was really jarring. I felt like it had two episode's worth of plots crammed into one.

Paula's song was awesome though. My pregnant wife really loved it.

Apparently they had a bunch of stuff that was cut, and they did some last minute revisions to the last two episodes. Originally, Paula was way more enthusiastic about doing hijinks with Rebecca again in Trent!?, and the conflict in the final episode would have been only about her and Nathaniel, rather than being about her relationship with Paula. There's also a musical number that got cut because it suddenly seemed out of place.

As for issues with the episode: somebody more observant than me noted that Nathaniel's whole response to her arrest was really weird, pushing for an insanity plea when she could go for a positive defense: she could try and subpoena the Instagram records for those stories that disappeared, there should be some security camera footage from the party, it being on the roof of a posh apartment complex and all. He's supposed to be a competent lawyer, even if criminal isn't his field. Her response also makes no sense unless next season will explain that you have to plead guilty to then push a positive defense. IANAL :shrug:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I guess the thing is, that she feels really guilty and responsible for all that stuff. After all she's the one who messed with poor, innocent Trent's heart until he snapped.

But yeah, that episode was kind of a mess. "Yeah, that tech millionaire decided to be a waiter at Nathaniel's party and was waving around a knife until you pushed him. Nothing weird about that."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

also Paula being like "you go girl, plead guilty and do years in prison as a weird emotional redemption thing, I'm fuckin proud of you" and the show kind of treating it as a legitimate thing for Rebecca to do? like I get that she treated Trent like poo poo but I'm kind of weirded out that she's punishing herself for saving someone's life from a murder attempt by someone who stalked and blackmailed her for years.

I kind of wish they'd kept Paula's stuff as originally written, I really liked her for the first season or two but she's been boring and annoying all season. I feel like we did this arc with her before except this time nobody's calling her out on her own poo poo and she's getting to just sulk and strop. And I mean, yeah, be very mad at Rebecca and maybe :sever:, but you just found her deranged stalker's murder den last week and now you're ignoring her when she's phoning you up crying that he's back and she's terrified? That's great, cool.

I'll not get into how dumb the legal stuff is because I'm a lawyer so I'm kind of used to feeling like that in shows but uh... for starters that's not how instagram stories work and she could just tell the police about the loving stalker murder den

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 18, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe what feels true is more important than what is true.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe this would have made more sense as an 18-episode season like 1 was. Then again, good luck getting that with those ratings. :smith:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I get why this finale had to happen thematically, but the actual writing leading up to her being imprisoned was weird. If they needed her in jail, why not just have her get caught for literally hiring an assassin to kill Mona?

But also, I don't think it necessarily matters how awkward the finale is because I'm pretty sure this specific plot will be resolved in like an episode or two next season. You can mark her confessing to a crime that she's innocent of to her own irrationality.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Maybe what feels true is more important than what is true.

Unfortunately the whole thing just felt out of character and overly stupid

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Unfortunately the whole thing just felt out of character and overly stupid
It's the curse of every good but low-rated show forced to constantly rewrite itself to fit the network's needs in terms of budget and episode count. Same thing happened to Parks and Rec.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm going to poo poo on Josh's puppy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of Josh, is this the first time we see him being violent?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Speaking of Josh, is this the first time we see him being violent?

As in hitting someone? Yeah. Though he did also get really aggressive with Rebecca when she "kidnapped" his mom, but he never hit her, just more of backed her up and caught her before she fell into the pothole.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The law firm stuff isn't the show's strength. It's just an excuse for Rebecca to have work scenes, drama, and extra characters. Even the lawyer-show type last minute saves that are meant to show how good Rebecca or Paula are at their jobs are kind of weak scenes, which doesn't bode well for The Trial of Rebecca Bunch.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Vulture interviewed Donna Lynne:

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/964899409229164545

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

And I mean, yeah, be very mad at Rebecca and maybe :sever:, but you just found her deranged stalker's murder den last week and now you're ignoring her when she's phoning you up crying that he's back and she's terrified? That's great, cool.
Paula is a terrible person though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Paula is a terrible person though.
Nah, she's alright.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So the season is over. What's next? Do we vote on best song? Do we write crazy speculations about next season? Do we Monday Night Quarterback this season?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Speculate about what happened to Josh's puppy that he was bringing Rebecca

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The whole season is on Netflix now

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The most confusing thing about the second half of the season is why they brought Sumil back. Did anyone care about his character at all?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Speculate about what happened to Josh's puppy that he was bringing Rebecca
Gave it to one of his cousins.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The more I think about it the more I feel like the first half of Season 3 would have fit more as an end to Season 2, and that the bulk of Season 3 should have happened within those 8 months we skipped over (or they should have gotten rid of the Darryl baby thing entirely and had other things happen throughout an 18-episode season). I feel like ending on, say, her calling Naomi and saying she wants to come home would have been way better for Season 2 in any case.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
S4 will start with a huge retcon.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

S4 will start with a huge retcon.

Or continuation of that scene with Trent confessing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

Or continuation of that scene with Trent confessing.

That's going to be a tough sell considering he's supposedly at the hospital again with every bone broken.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's going to be a tough sell considering he's supposedly at the hospital again with every bone broken.

Just need video testimony. But yah who knows what they’ll do if they even get S4.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

Just need video testimony. But yah who knows what they’ll do if they even get S4.

They better loving get a Season 4 somewhere.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm pretty confident it's going to get renewed for one more final season

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They should have finished it up this season, since everything was wrapping up nicely - Rebecca was getting help and self-recognizing her symptoms, Heather was applying herself, Valencia found happiness, Daryl and WiJo got resolution at the end, even Josh seemed to be getting more stable. It was just Nathaniel and Paula, and the latter's been kinda irrelevant all season.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Hughlander posted:

Flashback season of Crazy ex-boyfriend featuring Trent as the main character.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So are we going to do some kind of voting thing about this season's songs, or nah?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm a bit depressed about the lower quality of most of -- not all -- the songs this season, but that probably shouldn't stop us.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nothing is Anyone's Fault and I Go to the Zoo are the best imo

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Buzzing in the Bathroom still makes me giggle when I think about it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nothing is Ever Anyone's Fault is one of my favourite songs in the whole show. It so perfectly blends a good character moment with a hilarious existentialist satire.

"It wasn't technically Hitler's fault / wasn't technically Hitler's fault!" in perfect romantic double harmony is just such a huge laugh line. It's wonderful.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Nothing is Ever Anyone's Fault is one of my favourite songs in the whole show. It so perfectly blends a good character moment with a hilarious existentialist satire.

"It wasn't technically Hitler's fault / wasn't technically Hitler's fault!" in perfect romantic double harmony is just such a huge laugh line. It's wonderful.
This and the full-cast one about love are my two favorites.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't know, it was hard for me to ignore how much it reminds me of Get Your rear end out of My House.

I'd have to say my top three are Maybe She's Not Such a Heinous Bitch After All, The Miracle of Birth, and The Moment is Me.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Finished season 3. Is it just me or was it... bad.

Like not terrible, I watched it all. But not good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Caganer posted:

Finished season 3. Is it just me or was it... bad.

Like not terrible, I watched it all. But not good.

It felt like it had the ending of a good season for Season 2 and then compressed way too much for its own season. It was emotionally very heavy, but it's definitely not up to par with Season 1 in terms of plotting and songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The songs in season 3 reminded me of S2 of Flight of the Conchords' tv show. The songs aren't bad and there are some gems but it definitely isn't as consistent.

• Locked thread