Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So I kind of like ABBA, which means that a particular song from the show became a bit of an earworm for me... which I have to stop myself from humming and accidentally singing at work because it's not appropriate, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
He was just being evil. Evil is healthy. This is So-Cal we're talking about.

Also "you helped Frankenstein that baby" - new thread title?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hope and vaseline posted:

Can't decide if Darryl's sperm song or Paula's first penis song is my favorite one of the season so far

"(Eugh) The Moment Is Me" is still my favorite so far, but "First Penis I Saw" is definitely more of an earworm.

There's a phrase in Hebrew, עשה משהו כאילו כפאו שד, which translates to "doing [something] like you were forced to by a demon", and if I ever had to explain it to anyone, I'd have just the clip to show.

Edit: I just thought about it: Nathaniel didn't just do something evil for Rebecca out of his own volition, she asked him to do it for her, then asked him to call it off when he told her the specifics, which he did. Meanwhile, she took a few off-hand remarks by him and went on an adventure, blackmailing a former subordinate and instigating a car crash in the process.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 6, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cant cook creole bream posted:

You're being a bit soft on Nathaniel there. He heard "I want to destroy Josh Chan but I don't really know what to do about that." and interpreted it as "Please kill his Grandpa for me."

They're actually really, really similar. Single child, daddy issues, a mother who wants their best, but sucks at communicating, a tendency to degrade their self worth (even though Nate tries to hide it with his pompousness), unorthodox coping mechanisms, a tendency to go a few dozen steps to far.
Well it makes sense. When they introduced the character, he was pretty much a reflection of Rebeccas past and everything she wanted to get away from. Nowadays he has absorbed the West Covina influence.

I think you're really stretching it. Most of the characters have some serious issues with their parents, and they're all different. Her mother is demanding and pushy, her dad is absent; his mother has issues she wasn't sharing with him because of her fear of his father's wrath, while towards him his father is demanding and aloof. It's not a matter of being "soft" on him or "harsh" on her, they're two different people who are hosed up in different ways. As established since Season 1, Audra is her "similar person who chose to stay the suppressed path instead of going off the rails", they don't need that again in Nathaniel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

This show needs more Audra Levine.

She hasn't been in a musical number this season, so there's still hope! :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BlueBayou posted:

The best song this season is definitely "The End of the Movie" with Josh Groban.

Even if that were the case, it should be disqualified for being sung by a real professional musician, in my opinion.

I liked Scary Scary Sexy Lady, with, by, for, and about Rebecca Bunch, better from that episode, but then again, I'm a sucker for Bond openings.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
No love for Maybe She's Not Such A Heinous Bitch After All?

That has some really good vocal work from Bloom, imo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

clown shoes posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread over three seasons, it's that we never agree on the best songs. Remember that poll from last season? Oh gees.

Who won there? I missed the last two threads due to being years behind all the time. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Schlub Husband posted:

That song is still audio crack to me it's so good

:hfive:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm probably going to vacillate about it a lot; I binged Season 2 Christmas weekend and the first half of Season 3 last weekend, so I'm still processing.

And, of course, there's still almost half a season left.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LOL

Senerio posted:

I'd like to change my vote for my song of the season.

:same:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh, speaking of unused songs, here's one that was thrown around in the writers room for second season but was ultimately not used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss6JzeJyHRc

Have no idea who'd sing it, maybe Yael Grobglass?

How did I miss that her weird foreign accent was Israeli?! :psyduck:

Also turns out I should get those soundtracks too!

Edit:

This was heartwarming.

https://twitter.com/vanessasteck/status/950389793099255808

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 9, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Golden Bee posted:

This episode was very back half loaded,No songs in the first 15, then a lovely Josh song, then a terrible Darryl song. (It was an accurate parody of a type of song that was popular around the same time as crazy frog.)

I honestly just can’t relate to Darryl’s arc to have a kid when it’s very obvious he has a kid, and an existing marriage. It’s not about his love for Josh, it’s not about his love for Madison, it’s just about him having a baby, which is as the same form of obsession as the ones Rebecca is criticized for.

He hasn’t even had a song about it, has he? He’s just said he’s wanted a baby.

It's not an existing marriage, he starts the first season divorced. And non-Becks characters being maladjusted?! In my Crazy Ex-Girlfriend?! :monocle:

As Rebecca gets into therapy and starts making progress with her issues, it makes sense to dig into other characters` problems. Otherwise they might as well wrap the whole series up this season.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Fit Hot Guys Have Problems Too may not be the best song this season, but in the moment it was hilarious.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ither posted:

Also very easy on the eyes.

I don't know, that ugly crying is some UGLY crying... :smith:

Poor White Josh, I hope he finds happiness. Also I hope Becks isn't really going to go through with this egg donation, she's enabling a really unhealthy obsession on Darryl's part and the whole thing gives me a real Kate Stark "NOPE" vibe.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

They are just the best. :allears:

Edit:

Another celebration of songs:

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/952709094011437058

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 15, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
No episode tomorrow?! Noooooooooooooooooo :smithicide:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is nice:

https://twitter.com/Ally_Mcdreamy/status/955202635883339776

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I love how they've worked one of Vella Lovell's real-life annoyances into the show. :allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rebecca and Nathaniel should definitely not have sex right now.

I've got bad news...

I love how they tied in her totally selfless water war from Season 1 to this totally selfless office retaking, which also got her and The Guy kissing at the end, using the guy who ruined her case then to solve her problem now. All tied up into a bow.

Also now there's at least three people involved in this baby who should not be. And I'm not really sure about Darryl, either. This is going to be fun!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

The new guy is a gateway drug to crack.

She does note that she'd never been brave enough to try cocaine! :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

She grew up with warm showers.

:raise:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Maxwell Lord posted:

I also like that Rebecca has a very precise idea of her Kinsey number.

She would have it to the decimal. :allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

She's clearly more than a 1.8.

It needed to both sound credible and still not be 2.

Also I'm sure that if she decided she was bisexual, she would take it to 11.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think she's bi because she's known Heather for a couple years now and never made a move, which is insane given Heather's everything.

Well... she did use Heather's vibrator.. :geno:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

That was also the episode the guy from the ecstasy factory was introduced.

I really need to rewatch Season 1. It's been too long. Maybe after S3 wraps up.

quote:

Do you know who else was involved in that case and she totally forgot to call? Trent!
But yeah, he's kinda played out.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll never hear from him again. :allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Also not to be prude or anything, but injecting yourself with a syringe in public is kinda gross. Unless of course it's essential, like insulin or allergy medicine.

That's the point, I thought. I don't really care, but the whole thing was about how this was clearly obnoxious and not at all as parallel to breastfeeding like she was making it out to be.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Jumping forward 8 months worked great. I wonder if they'll ever do flashbacks to the various developments over those months, though.

Edit:

Turns out that this was happening:

https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/959588462667038723

https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/959588993640755202

https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/959592544752422912

https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/959597138152890368

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 3, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rachel Bloom: A actress.

... and an singer!

Edit: Hey, this was nice:

https://twitter.com/IMDb/status/959176511696883718

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 4, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The entire first season of this show (spanning about a year in real-time?) was premised on her ruining this guy's relationship because she was obsessed with him. At least in this case the dude is an accomplice instead of a dupe. Baby steps.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So did you miss the part where Paula berates her, or the part where she goes to a party in her honor, finally confronts the fact that there is another person involved, and breaks it off, or what?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Start of scene: "I look like a Nickelodeon host!"

End of scene: *covered in green goo*

:discourse:

This episode was a great vehicle for Trent, Rebecca's Iago. Will she ever come to terms with being a bad person to her friend/s? ONE MORE EPISODE TO FIND OUT!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Senerio posted:

I wonder what Season 3 song Trent is gonna cover next season!

Fit Hot Guys, obviously.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Senerio posted:

I mean it's clearly gonna be Let's Generalize About Women...

It's clearly gonna be Maybe He's Not Such a Heinous Bitch After All

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My Best Friend's Mom

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've Got My Head in the Gutter

Does Josh still live there, after Hector moved out? It's been 8 months.

That's a good question. That's never been resolved.

Harlock posted:

So we can just write Josh out of the show at this point, right?

He seems to be out of Rebecca's life and in this episode was mostly used for Valencia's development. So.... probably? It'd be a shame to see Vince go, though. Great dance moves and singing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gobbeldygook posted:

They've said they only plan one more season, so they just need to give him some closure next season. Josh's final storyline is probably going to be him finding something he's good at, succeeding, and his parents finally being proud of him.

Speaking of which, we still haven't heard confirmation that it's been renewed for a fourth season. :ohdear:

In that livestream I think she was asked about it and said that she has no doubt the show will be renewed, but I'm nervous.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm doing what I can to promote it, but I myself watch it through the CW app, I hope that counts.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

How are u posted:

The "Royal" was like where The Gang went to their high school reunion except it was real and cool and it worked.

This show is fun and good, it's got heart.

BLAM! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zil posted:

What is it with those bacon wrapped dates?

Most episodes have a running gag. Last week's was the buddy cop show on NBC.

• Locked thread