Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I asked a few days ago in the general discussion thread if there would be a new thread. Thanks for making it. I'd suggest swapping the order to show the stuff for new viewers first. Feels more natural that way.

To be honest, I didn't feel this episode quite as much as previous ones. What I love most about this show is this genuine feeling of trying way to hard to find personal happiness and clinging to meaningless little things. I can relate to that. But I guess, I never really felt an urge for revànge.
But then again, it's not like I'd stop watching. Rachel Bloom looked astonishingly gorgeous with that dark hair and the white dress.

For some reason, I thought that Whitefeather was his original name. But the fact that he actually haphazardly changed it the moment he knew that he was part native, is way more fitting.

RIP Valencia.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tiggum posted:

That's a neat idea, but I think it would put unnecessary restrictions on who could sing and when.

It is a neat idea. And it's also canonically what's happening. When she experienced music it was the only time she felt truly happy. That's why she imagines musical numbers to cope withemotional distressing moments. She almost literally said that at some point. Probably to Dr. Akopian. Speaking of which, she might need another session.

And yeah, her little tick is simply rubbing off on other people. But the opening song is probably in her imagination. She knows that the town would be talking about her, after all. And it feels a bit more mean spirited. I don't think White Josh would actually ask “what's a woman without her man?.“

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, Valencia is really kinda cool. She took in stride when Paula casually admitted implanting a tracking device into her shoulder.
I also really liked how the characters tried to improve themselves after hearing Rebecca's purposely hurtful, but kinda true words.
Heather straight up admitted it, Darryl had a serious talk and Paula decided to have some family time. I guess Valencia didn't quit her job and have a real wedding, but that's kind of a hard task.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I was thinking this. Darryl, you already have a child. Like, there's still room to create drama there with the idea that maybe you and White Josh don't want the same things, but there's not the "I want kids and you don't" thing because you already have a daughter.

But he doesn't have a daughter with him.
It's stupid but I kinda get it. He wants him to experience the "joy" of parenting.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
huh... That was... yeah.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I am really glad that it ended on a somewhat positive note. Most shows would have stopped a minute earlier for the added tension.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I feel really bad for Kevin now. Also, a month long sailing trip is the best cure for the flu and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

Honestly though, I really appreciated how somber this episode felt. Rebecca feels stigmatized, but the medical professionals calmly explain to her that she does not have to feel this way. When she heard that she'd get a new diagnosis, she was enthusiastic. But that was mostly because she thought there's an easy fix for her problems. BPT is a serious threat. But knowing what's wrong is an important step to improvement.

Also there was a surprising amount of callbacks in the episode. Like how Rebecca said "I just feel like I've inconvenienced a lot of people." That's literally what her mother spoke on her phone box in the first episode, with regards to another suicide attempt.

I am pretty sure this is the smartest show on television.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It probably even depends on the doctor you end up with. Some just want to process you as a number in a statistic, whole others are a bit more interested in helping.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Midseason finale tonight.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Darryl's breakup seemed forced. Well, it literally was, but you know what I mean.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Edit: I just thought about it: Nathaniel didn't just do something evil for Rebecca out of his own volition, she asked him to do it for her, then asked him to call it off when he told her the specifics, which he did. Meanwhile, she took a few off-hand remarks by him and went on an adventure, blackmailing a former subordinate and instigating a car crash in the process.

You're being a bit soft on Nathaniel there. He heard "I want to destroy Josh Chan but I don't really know what to do about that." and interpreted it as "Please kill his Grandpa for me."

They're actually really, really similar. Single child, daddy issues, a mother who wants their best, but sucks at communicating, a tendency to degrade their self worth (even though Nate tries to hide it with his pompousness), unorthodox coping mechanisms, a tendency to go a few dozen steps to far.
Well it makes sense. When they introduced the character, he was pretty much a reflection of Rebeccas past and everything she wanted to get away from. Nowadays he has absorbed the West Covina influence.

For some reason I am really interested in the title of the upcoming episode. Since she'll probably break up with Nathaniel to get her mind in order for a while, it might be the first title which is actually about Rebecca herself.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 6, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I go to the zoo!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I love how they tied in her totally selfless water war from Season 1 to this totally selfless office retaking, which also got her and The Guy kissing at the end, using the guy who ruined her case then to solve her problem now. All tied up into a bow.

That was also the episode the guy from the ecstasy factory was introduced.
Do you know who else was involved in that case and she totally forgot to call? Trent!
But yeah, he's kinda played out.

Also not to be prude or anything, but injecting yourself with a syringe in public is kinda gross. Unless of course it's essential, like insulin or allergy medicine.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 28, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Rachel Bloom: A actress.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh no! It was a love test. You failed. :(

It's really fitting that Rachel Bloom's husband gets to torture Trent.
https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/962131650808303616

Just imagine that for a few months.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 10, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
First vagina I saw.

Edit: Actually no. He uses Rebeccas songs after all.
Though he could pull of an interesting version of "after everything I've done for you."

Alternatively he sings "A diagnosis" with the result that there is absolutely nothing wrong with him, since he is a healthy, rational person.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 10, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My Best Friend's Mom

He starts hanging out with Hector's mother.

Does Josh still live there, after Hector moved out? It's been 8 months.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 10, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I guess the thing is, that she feels really guilty and responsible for all that stuff. After all she's the one who messed with poor, innocent Trent's heart until he snapped.

But yeah, that episode was kind of a mess. "Yeah, that tech millionaire decided to be a waiter at Nathaniel's party and was waving around a knife until you pushed him. Nothing weird about that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Huh.
Weirdly enough, I don't really feel excitement about that. It's nice for them and I hope they'll stick the landing, but I'm not counting days.

What's the usual procedure for shows, where the cast doesn't know if it continues? Do they keep producing until the studio just scraps everything, or do they have to wait for funding?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 2, 2018

• Locked thread