Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

hello old friend (the gif)

also gently caress you ted cruz (the bassist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Jaxo the jazz fusion clown. He does cocaine.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
also, i just saw the truly nightmare inducing part of that gif

look at the headstock of the “guitarist” he’s playing off of

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Keytars can be cool. On select occasions.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Wark Say posted:

Keytars can be cool. On select occasions.

Could it be a Steinberger and not a keytar?

Edit: Like Eddie's 5150-era version:

Double Edit: No, it looks like a keytar, lol.

woodch fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 15, 2017

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Dr. Faustus posted:

Anyway, the point was: Does anyone really use double-neck and if so, what are they? I'm fascinated. I feel that if I had, say, a double-neck 12/6-string, I might need two signal chains (amps and effects) to run them through. That's a lot of effort for something I could probably ignore or do with a pedal.

The only band I can think of that uses a doubleneck is El Ten Eleven. It's a duo of a bassist and a drummer and the bassist does a lot of live looping. His gear has been changing frequently, but he plays an old Carvin bass/guitar doubleneck. He also plays a bass VI-like bass and also does looping.

Its weird indie music and their claim to fame was making the soundtrack for the documentary on Helvetica (yes, the font).

I do want a doubleneck bass/guitar because I really like live looping and it's pretty great to not have to change instruments. I've had wild ideas of building stereo signal paths and controlling a flexible looper. Nothing has materialized and I have since bought an electric banjo (which I have recently modified, and probably should belong in the thread) because I apparently have been dropped on my head.

Also I like scalloped necks. To be fair, the only one I've played is a Yamaha Billy Sheehan signature bass where only the highest 5 frets are scalloped. Still, I'll post my parts bass that's almost done. It's a G&L tribute bass neck and cheap, b-stock components, so I have a lot of very poor routing and some dremel scallops. I'm not sure how it'll finally work out, but this bass is definitely about the journey of piecing it together.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

woodch posted:

Could it be a Steinberger and not a keytar?

Edit: Like Eddie's 5150-era version:

Double Edit: No, it looks like a keytar, lol.

It's Chick Corea and John Patitucci, it's 100% a keytar.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is enraging, the whole thing

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Rifter17 posted:

The only band I can think of that uses a doubleneck is El Ten Eleven. It's a duo of a bassist and a drummer and the bassist does a lot of live looping. His gear has been changing frequently, but he plays an old Carvin bass/guitar doubleneck. He also plays a bass VI-like bass and also does looping.

Its weird indie music and their claim to fame was making the soundtrack for the documentary on Helvetica (yes, the font).

I do want a doubleneck bass/guitar because I really like live looping and it's pretty great to not have to change instruments. I've had wild ideas of building stereo signal paths and controlling a flexible looper. Nothing has materialized and I have since bought an electric banjo (which I have recently modified, and probably should belong in the thread) because I apparently have been dropped on my head.

Also I like scalloped necks. To be fair, the only one I've played is a Yamaha Billy Sheehan signature bass where only the highest 5 frets are scalloped. Still, I'll post my parts bass that's almost done. It's a G&L tribute bass neck and cheap, b-stock components, so I have a lot of very poor routing and some dremel scallops. I'm not sure how it'll finally work out, but this bass is definitely about the journey of piecing it together.

http://szymonkaliski.com/projects/loop-pi/

Something like that crossed with a sampler and outputs for rugged foot switches would be awesome. Record multiple tracks to SD card and trigger with foot switches. Bonus points if you can record a live loop then have triggers on a drumkit play the sample. Raspi is limited to a small number of tracks due to the low power hardware but you could save more than that to SD card and only have so many loaded for playback at one time. In theory.

Or you could go hog wild with an arduino based midi controller and just plug it into a laptop running a DAW, then trigger recording to new tracks or playback of existing ones as you please.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Verizian posted:

Something like that crossed with a sampler and outputs for rugged foot switches would be awesome. Record multiple tracks to SD card and trigger with foot switches. Bonus points if you can record a live loop then have triggers on a drumkit play the sample. Raspi is limited to a small number of tracks due to the low power hardware but you could save more than that to SD card and only have so many loaded for playback at one time. In theory.

Or you could go hog wild with an arduino based midi controller and just plug it into a laptop running a DAW, then trigger recording to new tracks or playback of existing ones as you please.

can't the bigger ehx loopers do this already?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Concatenation posted:

i've been told that my passion for living borders on the extreme

oh wait, watch this....! heh, love that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZ-QSinSF8

I didn't even make it a minute in

Then again, mindcrime makes me think that concept albums should be illegal unless your name is john darnielle so my tolerance for geoff tate is approximately nil

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm at a beer fest with a band and this fucker is running his jazzbox through a fuzz it sounds like (and it sounds awful because he keeps doing open chords this way)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Doublenecks can be awesome:

https://youtu.be/Gs6AjuzJJNk

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Verizian posted:

Oh I have an EHX 45000 looper and a Keith Mcmillen soft step. All looper have weird limitations and the EHX's problem is that all loops have to be same length. That said 4 independent loops that can be quantized to a MIDI clock was the big pro for the unit. That way I can get my synths synced up.

My current ideal is just a computer running Ableton Live with something like Amplitube. That's probably the most flexible option out there especially if you set it up to also sequence synths, but it requires a super low latency, which I currently don't have the setup for.

Plus it's every kid's dream to play live with a laptop. Just imagine I posted that gif of Skrillex smashing his Mac book.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Speaking of Steve Vai...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLY5WkoBo98

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Every so often a part of me thinks 'just get a PA/poweramp and use Amplitube through that' then I remember that's

A: probably more poo poo to carry
B: more variables to go wrong
C: I'm bad enough for fiddling with an amp and a couple of pedals, let alone all the stuff on there
D: WWVD (What Would Vai do?)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

For all the dumb poo poo vai does he is remarkably, abnormally good at actually using anything he puts his name on.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Every so often a part of me thinks 'just get a PA/poweramp and use Amplitube through that' then I remember that's

A: probably more poo poo to carry
B: more variables to go wrong
C: I'm bad enough for fiddling with an amp and a couple of pedals, let alone all the stuff on there
D: WWVD (What Would Vai do?)

Amplitube is great for recording, but yeah it sounds like a massive pain in the butt for live stuff. If I were going to do that, I'd probably get a mac mini that I would set up just for that purpose or something.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Out of the shreddy dudes I think Satch is my favourite, he seems fairly down to earth for such a weirdo and the stuff he puts his name to gear wise is good, I'll always have a spot for my Time Machine. As I've probably said at various points, I really don't 'get' bluesy stuff but with him I find it listenable.

I saw some guy locally put up one of the Vai overdrives for some horrific price. I have a lot of respect for Vai and his 30 hr guitar workout is a great resource, I think he's like some hybrid thread mascot/punchbag.

Plus with no Vai there'd be no KoRn and I don't wanna live in that world.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Plus with no Vai there'd be no KoRn and I don't wanna live in that world.

brb; travelling back in time to kill Steve Vai.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I respect Steve Vai's skill and passion but the dude is a giant dingus.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Anime Reference posted:

I respect Steve Vai's skill and Passion and Warfare but the dude is a giant dingus.

He did also expose the world to Devin Townsend so the more I think about it the more I'm on board with him.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Steve Vai played with Frank Zappa. He's ok in my book.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hooray for Vai chat! Honestly, I'd forgotten about that song (Fever Dream) but I look at it this way: That heart guitar was just a dumb idea he had because he was in David Lee Roth's band for crying out loud. Everything Diamond Dave did back then was flashy and crazy and flat-out over-the-top silly.
I will unabashedly maintain "Eat 'Em and Smile" and "Skyscraper" are two of the best rock albums ever made, and stand up to the first Van Hagar album (5150) which was the summer of my senior year of High School and it was inspiring. Skyscraper and 5150 were the soundtrack to all those fun summer nights with my buds and my girlfriend as we all got ready to move on to college and see what life had waiting for us.

So Vai takes that silly prop guitar and he actually makes something composed, interesting, melodic, and musical out of it. I mean, that's why I love him. He's a total dingus but that's ok. He's totally passionate about his craft and of course it's not for everyone. He doesn't do things by half measures.

Regarding Satriani, I am even more mixed: On the one hand, he's an absolute perfectionist. You can pull up a million YouTubes of one of his tunes and he nails it, perfectly, the same way, every time. Note-for-note, harmonic for harmonic, dive-bomb for dive-bomb. He's absolutely consistent in a way few rock guitarists are. On the other hand, he bores me. I haven't really enjoyed anything he's done since Flying in a Blue Dream and he doesn't really seem to reach, to evolve. Vai, on the other hand, is always trying new poo poo. It may be awful, but he's always going in different places. He takes more chances and doesn't always land as well, but Satch just seems stuck in a rut for the last couple decades. God love him, I still came home from school/work and play played Surfing (the whole album) every day before my Dad came home from work to force me to unplug or get yelled at for disturbing the peace.

Also, I had a rather involved text convo with Dirt last night and I am shocked. SHOCKED. At how wrong his opinions about Stevie Ray Vaughan are!

:) (Agree to disagree bro, but now I know your dirty secret!)

Bill Posters posted:

brb; travelling back in time to kill Steve Vai.
This made me lol very hard.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I think he's like some hybrid thread mascot/punchbag.
This is well-put. He's kind of a genius, but he's also totally ridiculous. I think he's entirely appropriate as Stupid Music poo poo but I still can enjoy much of the music he produces. In doses. As an example, I think the piece he wrote for G3 that ends with "I Know You're Here" is a great composition (especially the actual song after all the triple-neck silliness in the intro, which I admit is very stupid because he's pulling these stupid mugs and acting all weird, but I guess that's his thing and it was a G3 show... to be expected.)
Even the intro has its moments as the fretless guitar stuff reminds me of Adrian Belew playing "Matte Kudasai," which is a loving gorgeous King Crimson song, which is most certainly not Stupid Music poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USXEi5dJPto

E: Misspelled "Matte."

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 16, 2017

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Trig Discipline posted:

Amplitube is great for recording, but yeah it sounds like a massive pain in the butt for live stuff. If I were going to do that, I'd probably get a mac mini that I would set up just for that purpose or something.

I think you can run it off an Ipad. I know bias can, don't know about amplitube.

But IMO the cheapest high gain solution for playing live is just a craigslist sourced 6505+ with a random cab.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there is an ipad version of Amplitube but IIRC it doesn't have anywhere near the full complement of gear.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
OH wait, that was the case at first but now it looks like they've added a lot.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You mean there's gear other than the soldano and a tube screamer in amplitube?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
there's a head and rackmount hardware version of Bias now, might be worth a look

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-rack/

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Anyway, the point was: Does anyone really use double-neck and if so, what are they?

takeshi from boris uses a headless bass/guitar doubleneck

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

On Satriani, I got into him this year. Never understood his appeal before. His sense of melody and phrasing is insane. I started paying close attention to how he leads you through a song and builds tension throughout and honestly it’s something special. I’m writing a solo guitar EP right now and the Satch influence has been huge when it comes to keeping my leads vocal and meaningful.

Vai owns bones and as mentioned gave Devin Townsend his break. Devin is my favorite dude. When your progression in the industry is being let in by Zappa and giving Townsend a platform you’ve done good for the world.

Shawn Lane is the best virtuoso of all time tho tbh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

speaking of virtuoso playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-kA9UZPHzc

I can't tell whether this guy is awesome or terrible at any given time

but he plays a shitton of notes

I just get so distracted every time he opens his mouth

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Devin Townsend is about as awesome as musicians come.

I think one of my favorite old school shreddy virtuoso types is Marty Friedman. He has never ever done a cheap Malmsteen-type sweeping scale solo, and even when playing bleedingly fast metal solos it's always done with "feel" and lots of music theory. He's one of the few virtuoso-guys who I'd say hasn't just managed technique, but mastered guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMkb4pxOc30

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the video it's from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrlVFsPocus

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've never seen a crowd long for death that hard before

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How is the music that slow when they all do so much coke?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also I know a store that still sells 90s as gently caress jazz musician clothes but it also is the same place to buy 7 button purple suits though all the mannequins have pinky rings and fur boas.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also I know a store that still sells 90s as gently caress jazz musician clothes but it also is the same place to buy 7 button purple suits though all the mannequins have pinky rings and fur boas.

congratulations on finding a front for the mob

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Hello new thread. I look forward to more utterly ridiculous stupid music poo poo to secretly lust after laugh at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kilometers Davis posted:

On Satriani, I got into him this year. Never understood his appeal before. His sense of melody and phrasing is insane. I started paying close attention to how he leads you through a song and builds tension throughout and honestly it’s something special. I’m writing a solo guitar EP right now and the Satch influence has been huge when it comes to keeping my leads vocal and meaningful.

Vai owns bones and as mentioned gave Devin Townsend his break. Devin is my favorite dude. When your progression in the industry is being let in by Zappa and giving Townsend a platform you’ve done good for the world.

Shawn Lane is the best virtuoso of all time tho tbh

lol@ using the name "Satch" when referring to some dumb guitar noodler