Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
cookie moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

Today I celebrate three years since my last drink of alcohol, and I celebrate by gathering my work clothes (the ones that are not too baggy since I lost 90 lbs. after getting sober, and am at 179 today heading back down to 165 after the holidays) for my orientation day tomorrow at my new job. It pays better than my last job, is hybrid office/remote, and has good benefits including bonuses.

Holy poo poo man, that's loving great. I hope it works out for you. Congratulations and keep on keepin' on.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hell yeah, Faustus. 😎

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Faustus is an amazing poster success story. Great job my dude.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

syntaxfunction posted:

Faustus is an amazing poster success story. Great job my dude.

He managed to convert an entire thread to liking both him and Steve Vai from a place of extreme initial hostility. Truly a blessed posting arc.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I still don't really have feelings about Steve Vai one way or another, but I respect Faustus's progress and hope for the best for him

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

through vai all things are possible

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not sure where to post this but I need to share with someone. This thread is appropriate due to my obnoxious history in its first iteration:

Today I celebrate three years since my last drink of alcohol, and I celebrate by gathering my work clothes (the ones that are not too baggy since I lost 90 lbs. after getting sober, and am at 179 today heading back down to 165 after the holidays) for my orientation day tomorrow at my new job. It pays better than my last job, is hybrid office/remote, and has good benefits including bonuses.

Even though the last two years since I left my last job have been dark at times, I've avoided being the rear end in a top hat I used to be when I was drunk every day.

You can do anything you set your mind to, if you want it enough and learn from your mistakes. I'm still learning, but I have a new lease on life.

Stupid Music Chat: That MESA/Boogie looks incredible, and I love John Sykes, he is a terrifying guitarist.

Cheers!

Good for you, man! Happy for you!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kingo Ligma posted:

and Steve Vai

Let’s not get too crazy here

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not sure where to post this but I need to share with someone. This thread is appropriate due to my obnoxious history in its first iteration:

Even though the last two years since I left my last job have been dark at times, I've avoided being the rear end in a top hat I used to be when I was drunk every day.

You can do anything you set your mind to, if you want it enough and learn from your mistakes. I'm still learning, but I have a new lease on life.

Stupid Music Chat: That MESA/Boogie looks incredible, and I love John Sykes, he is a terrifying guitarist.

Cheers!

onya mate

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Putting this here, but doucherock/yachtrock like John Mayer and Jack Johnson, et al has ages remarkably well compared to other genres of their time.

I remember seeing a tonne of stuff from people who hated guys with a guitar writing simple songs about relaxing and chilling out and stuff, but in this day and age it's kind of a nice contrast to the world. I say this as someone who also did not enjoy Mr Johnson and his ilk back when lol

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

we used to call that stuff date rapist jams

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Lol yeah it got a lot of names at the time. People really loving hated it. Which is kind of funny how many of the artists making it are still trucking along and how frankly inoffensive the music is. Especially contrasting to how many controversies happened for other artists of the time lol

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DMB had been a thing so long before Jack Johnson that everyone was past sick of it when it came out.

At least that’s how I felt at the time.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

Putting this here, but doucherock/yachtrock like John Mayer and Jack Johnson, et al has ages remarkably well compared to other genres of their time.

I think we're talking 3 verrrrry different styles here? Surely:

yacht rock - 70s 80s Jimmy Buffett, Christopher Cross etc
John Mayer - really white blues strat touching
Jack Johnson - acoustic douche jams, less rocky DMB

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Chrpno posted:

I think we're talking 3 verrrrry different styles here? Surely:

yacht rock - 70s 80s Jimmy Buffett, Christopher Cross etc
John Mayer - really white blues strat touching
Jack Johnson - acoustic douche jams, less rocky DMB

John Mayer’s newest album is a Yacht rock pastiche. It sucks rear end though as a genuine fan of the genre.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

As far as genres that haven't aged well I heard black veil brides for the first time the other day becasue I saw a TikTok guitarist playing one of their songs and thought "that sounds like poo poo, they cant be playing it right surely?" only to discover thats how the original song sounds. It is amazing to me that gen z is still hype about emo.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

massive spider posted:

As far as genres that haven't aged well I heard black veil brides for the first time the other day becasue I saw a TikTok guitarist playing one of their songs and thought "that sounds like poo poo, they cant be playing it right surely?" only to discover thats how the original song sounds. It is amazing to me that gen z is still hype about emo.

Gen z is starting up a nu metal revival my friend, there is no end to the depravity

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

From local craigslist ad looking for... ??? I'm not sure because they never actually ask:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Picked up a case from GC at lunch and saw this for sale:

That’s guitar history right there, that is! The GC employee I talked to thought its very presence was hilarious. Because it is.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What the hell is that?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

What the hell is that?

Gibson Firebird X. A failure so big Gibson drove an excavator over the unsold stock for the tax write-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd7ySopIwog

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what even was so bad about it that it failed? it looks slightly melted, but there are probably more successful ones that do, too

was it just not Another Les Paul enough for the gibson crowd

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the matte black and gold strat with the flamed maple neck next to it is kinda sick though

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

hexwren posted:

what even was so bad about it that it failed? it looks slightly melted, but there are probably more successful ones that do, too

was it just not Another Les Paul enough for the gibson crowd

The electronics were horribly faulty and the guitars themselves were poorly designed and played like poo poo. Pretty sure there were a bunch that were returned for warranty work which is what kicked everything off.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Was it the first guitar to use the robo tuners? I remember everyone wtfing about them at the time. No idea if the glitchiness of the tuners was real or overblown myth on the internet either.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

widefault posted:

The electronics were horribly faulty and the guitars themselves were poorly designed and played like poo poo. Pretty sure there were a bunch that were returned for warranty work which is what kicked everything off.

I believe they were also hideously expensive, by Gibson standards

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

As a guitar I'm sure it's fine but everything else to do with why it came to exist was a series of stupid decisions as was the video they posted and also the decision to destroy them instead of donating them.

edit: Kind of funny how people's pricing strategy is to double what they expect to actually get.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 8, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Gibson should do more guitars with maple boards. Not that guitar, but other ones.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I got to play a Firebird X and it was abysmal. I don't know what the gently caress they were joking at the factory but when I try out an AU$6000ish guitar I don't want buzzing from uneven frets and sharp ends. Like it was bad bad.

I remember playing the Robot Les Pauls too, and knowing they'd make a deal to remove the tuners for traditional ones. Hell basically at launch most places were doing it for free.

I got nothing against trying new things, but the quality was like "weird AliExpress knockoff guitars" and definitely not "multi-thousand made in the USA".

Of course now Gibson seems rather afraid of trying new things because they get their heads bitten off with backlash when they dare to, like, chamber more, or add a neck pocket carve. Tradition is a weird anchor for a style of instrument that only come into its own like a hundo year ago.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

I got to play a Firebird X and it was abysmal. I don't know what the gently caress they were joking at the factory but when I try out an AU$6000ish guitar I don't want buzzing from uneven frets and sharp ends. Like it was bad bad.

I remember playing the Robot Les Pauls too, and knowing they'd make a deal to remove the tuners for traditional ones. Hell basically at launch most places were doing it for free.

I got nothing against trying new things, but the quality was like "weird AliExpress knockoff guitars" and definitely not "multi-thousand made in the USA".

Of course now Gibson seems rather afraid of trying new things because they get their heads bitten off with backlash when they dare to, like, chamber more, or add a neck pocket carve. Tradition is a weird anchor for a style of instrument that only come into its own like a hundo year ago.

Always important to remember that the dentists and lawyers who actually pay to keep the industry solvent are boring losers.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Collins? Collen? Anselmo?? Myass??

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

manzanera, apparently

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

hexwren posted:

manzanera, apparently

zzzz

Though I did learn last year that his real name is Phillip Geoffrey Targett-Adams, probably a good thing he changed.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Roxy Music is fun.

020824_2
Feb 9, 2024
233.33% YoY price increase on Youtube

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Roxy Music is fun.
my uncles favorite band RIP. roxy music kicks rear end

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Bryan Ferry is a conservative IIRC, but yeah, I've seen Roxy Music a few times (and worked an IA gig where one of their grizzled drum techs had me setting up their kit) and they're loving fantastic live.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Bryan Ferry is a conservative IIRC

i was having a nice friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hexwren posted:

i was having a nice friday

Brian Eno's a devout catholic.

edit maybe not, maybe he's just still messed up by his catholic upbringing like many of us