Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Baron von Eevl posted:

Brian Eno's a devout catholic.

No, that would be a good Friday, not a nice one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Brian Eno's a devout catholic.

edit maybe not, maybe he's just still messed up by his catholic upbringing like many of us

You mean Brian Peter George St John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno? well I never

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Bryan Ferry is a huge tory which is disappointing but he also has a son named Merlin Ferry who at one point played in a band named after a Pokemon (Voltorb) which is at least a little amusing. One of his other sons, Otis, is a noted fox hunting enthusiast though, so that's a shame.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

donut posted:

Bryan Ferry is a huge tory which is disappointing but he also has a son named Merlin Ferry who at one point played in a band named after a Pokemon (Voltorb) which is at least a little amusing. One of his other sons, Otis, is a noted fox hunting enthusiast though, so that's a shame.

This is an excellent premise for a sitcom

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chrpno posted:

Collins? Collen? Anselmo?? Myass??

Just Phil.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZFGUiQ-cH8

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Homer, you've ruined a perfectly good guitar!

Correction, Marge. Two perfectly good guitars

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I wonder if it has a centerblock or if it's a full archtop. Last option is probably more spectacular when it eventually goes.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Pondex posted:

I wonder if it has a centerblock or if it's a full archtop. Last option is probably more spectacular when it eventually goes.
I think it pretty much has to have a centerblock if it’s got the tune o matic bridge. There are a few oddballs out there where they have a tiny block that just goes under the bridge, but I don’t think any gibsons/epiphones do that

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

The Leck posted:

I think it pretty much has to have a centerblock if it’s got the tune o matic bridge. There are a few oddballs out there where they have a tiny block that just goes under the bridge, but I don’t think any gibsons/epiphones do that

Yeah, that makes sense.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Someone brought in a really cool instrument to my work today and asked me what kind of mic he needed for it. Of course, I asked him if I could give it a whirl.

It belongs ITT because I can barely play a goddamn bass guitar, let alone a loving sitar. But it felt really cool to try.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

What mic did you recommend?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Noise Machine posted:

What mic did you recommend?

Audio-Technica PRO35. You can see it clipped to the bridge in the photo.

There are probably better clip-on mics out there (I'm thinking something from DPA) but it was what we had on hand, relatively cheap and he was really impressed with how it sounded.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I have a sitar, but I don't play it. Just getting it in tune is exhausting.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Stupid music dorks poo poo:

I know I play a dead instrument beloved by the beigest motherfuckers on the planet.

I get that the entire guitar industry is only kept in existence by accountants and lawyers playing the comfortably numb solo once every three months through $80k worth of gear.

But why do they feel compelled to stumble into every single online guitar space and post a million memes about getting their wife to shut up?

They don't have to be a 90s sitcom dad. If they didn't spend all your time posting "jokes" about domestic violence their wives might even touch their penises again.

Drives me crazy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you can, find a guitar social media space that is more lgbtq+. Far less of that bullshit. Sort of, like, zero poo poo like that, actually.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

That's a great idea thanks!

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

ime the far more annoying boomer tendency is spamming the same lovely photos of their stable/harem/family/polycule of the same custom shop heavy relic murphy lab vintage correct les telestrat or a prs that cost as much as a late model honda civic but is completely indistinguishable from a $500 schecter

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I never want to see photos of your kids or polycule, I don't care if you paid extra to get them relic'd.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

And save the bare feet for Tarantino

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If you can, find a guitar social media space that is more lgbtq+. Far less of that bullshit. Sort of, like, zero poo poo like that, actually.

Be interested in hearing any recommendations. Seems if it's not guitar lawyers, it's edgelord kids in the heavier forums.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

snoot posted:

Be interested in hearing any recommendations. Seems if it's not guitar lawyers, it's edgelord kids in the heavier forums.

There’s a group on Facebook called superfluous gearposting that’s cool and good.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I already kinda hate people that leave clip-on tuners on all of the time, someone found a way to make it even worse:

https://www.tunerette.net/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Django Reinhardt is spinning in his grave.

EDIT: Ew wait it was Clapton who put the cigarette behind the nut? gently caress that geezer.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When I saw the roots playing in a gymnasium the bassist had a j under the strings by the nut the entire show.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Using a clip on tuner at a show is the equivalent of wearing sweatpants on a date.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Baron von Eevl posted:

When I saw the roots playing in a gymnasium the bassist had a j under the strings by the nut the entire show.

Hub (RIP) is who my mind goes to when I try think of the most badass bass player.

Hub and Questlove are just unreal as a rhythm section.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

EDIT: Ew wait it was Clapton who put the cigarette behind the nut? gently caress that geezer.

Dunno about Clapton, but EVH's Frankenstrat had burns from that on the headstock

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I saw an Instagram dude with a custom incense stick holder on his guitar neck

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Brawnfire posted:

I saw an Instagram dude with a custom incense stick holder on his guitar neck

Sounds cool. I want a smoking censer swinging around from the headstock

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mister Speaker posted:

That would be Eddie Van Halen.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Since Kurt Cobain was a lefty, he wasn't able to use his (right-handed) headstock for its intended purpose, and had to perform with it in his mouth.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

clapton did as well

doing a quick search for a photo pulled up this thread and apparently everyone who ever smoked on stage did it, jeez: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/guitarists-who-let-their-guitars-smoke-cigarettes-on-the-headstock.1150674/

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I was at a Van Halen concert in the late 90s and Eddie did this on stage and I was worried security was going to make him put it out. Non-smoking facility.

Also my first real experience with the smell of pot being absolutely soaked into your clothes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Jonny Nox posted:

I was at a Van Halen concert in the late 90s and Eddie did this on stage and I was worried security was going to make him put it out. Non-smoking facility.

Not sure if it's a recent thing but a lot of places will let you smoke onstage if it's 'part of your act'. I've seen DJs performing who were their own smoke machines from chainsmoking cigarettes, and I'm pretty sure Dave Chappelle (ugh) even made a few jokes about it being 'part of his act' in one of his more recent specials.

Even if it wasn't allowed, who really wants to be the security guard who tells EVH to butt out or leave?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was working a VO session with Liev Schreiber in New York and he started smoking in the booth. There was a lot of discussion about whether we should say something before anyone asked him to stop, and that was with someone who was at nowhere near EVH's level of fame or ego, in a closed room where smoking will damage expensive equipment he doesn't own, in a city where it was illegal to smoke indoors.

For the record Liev was cool about it and went out to a little courtyard stairwell to smoke after that.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Have a supercut of stupid happy sunday I love you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fjBw48bgtc

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

JamesKPolk posted:

Since Kurt Cobain was a lefty, he wasn't able to use his (right-handed) headstock for its intended purpose, and had to perform with it in his mouth.

Kurt played left but was right-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Nah he was left handed, he just wrote/drew right handed after being forced to at school because he grew up in a time and place where left handedness was seen as a sign of satanic witchery.