Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Is that biro

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The weird thing about the "so and so musician is a is replacement" theories is it makes kinda sense for Paul mcCartney or early 2000s avril lavigne at the height of her fame that the industry has someone would want to milk as a cash cow as long as possible. But for andrew WK it requires a big over estimation of how much money there is in playing dumb party metal and living in a tour van.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 26, 2017

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The only time I’ve ever actually been offended by a performers tone to the point of it ruining the show was some band playing single coil Jazzmasters into Mesa boogie rectifiers with the presence cranked at a level that annihilated ears like an ice pick aimed straight at 10k hz

Also Enter Shakari but Enter Shakari are just poo poo on every level so the tone wasn’t the most egregious thing.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 27, 2017

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

otoh you can get this for 3 hunnit

yeah this makes me super happy and I dont know why

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Because it's like the laziest metal coupled with the laziest dubstep. It's just noise that doesn't go anywhere, instead rolling around in a pile of poo poo composed of power chords and rhythmic chugs on the open E string (or whatever the lowest string was tuned to). The guitar and drum parts are a djent cliché and I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed that they used that program that automates Djent breakdowns.

its not the right tempo for dubstep and it doesent use the right textures, structure or instrumentation either. neither with djent. I'd say its closer to industrial metal on 8 string guitars.

its super corny and it only has one gear but it works for punching demons and I couldnt say its lazy

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've got tonnes of earplugs in search for the ones that affect th experience least (my ears can't fit the custom ones for some reason). Proguard make the best I've found so far,in that they don't sound like they're doing much unless you take them out and hear the difference. Flare titanium are best at just straight up obliterating incoming sound but not in the most musical way.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Article 1

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson-reports-company-is-running-out-of-time-rapidly-to-resolve-debt-issues-says-financial-expert

Article 2

https://reverb.com/news/gibson-nods...B&utm_source=FB

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Full disclosure I’d probably buy one if it was an epiphone but 5 grand can gently caress the gently caress right off.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Last Christmas I toyed with doing a hetfielded cover of Jingle All the Way purely because I can envision exactly how the “laughing all the way/ha ha ha” but would go.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

To paraphrase David Byrne playing out of time is fine so long as the whole band is playing out of time together.

It helps if you assume the drummer is always right (even when he’s completely loving not).

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Groundbreaking design from PRS:

Initially I hated this but in the course of a day I'm seeing so much hatred for it in the Guitar Social Media Community that my inner contrarian has brought me back around to liking it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

field balm posted:

The synth poo poo is to do with laptops and synths being full range sound sources. Ie a guitar is a mids instrument no matter what. If the synth patch you use for sound check is a trebly lead, then the next one (that you didnt soundcheck) is a bass, the sound guy is gonna have you eq'd all wrong.

The solution is byo soundguy.

If you have a soundcard with multiple outs or multiple snyths it might be a good idea to send all your poo poo to different outputs. i.e one line for bass and one output for pads etc.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

My submission for stupid music poo poo: bands which have formed like, a month ago making 10 second “teasers” on social media for their forthcoming material.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The "I like Tool but Tool fans suck" meme is dumb as heck especially when the band themselves contributes to it and shittalk their fans. Yeah your fans may be dumb stinky pseudointellectual greebos but you should still love your dumb stinky greebo fans.

Just accept it, don't go I'm not one of those Tool fans who appreciates the music wrong" accept in your heart there is some part of you that is a dumb stinky greebo and embrace it.

It reminds me kinda of the "Primus sucks!" meme Primus fans do except that's the inverse- an ironic display of comraderie in their awful music taste.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

GuItar forums are always full of very predictable demographics and as such full of very predictable bullshit.

TGPs explicit “no politics” rule is the only reason i can tolerate it and even then it still leaks throug sometimes.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

it does look like someones attempts to spunk on a bullseye amassed over several years.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I bet that peavy pedal doesent sound worse than many others when put into an amp with a decent speaker setup.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

god rectos sound like complete poo poo

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

i have been owned

ive gotten into buying used pedals, recording them on one song and flipping them for what I bought them recently

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Mesa rectifier allowed to be maximum flubby

This but with a wah wah.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Thermos H Christ posted:

This is made worse because I'm very bad at sensing how something is going to sound at full rehearsal/performance volume in a band mix based on how it sounds on its own at a reasonable level. So even though I can go try out some of these things at a store, it's not all that informative when I do.

No one does. Its all super dependant on volume, genre and the gear the other band members are using. Stuff that sounds great at bedroom often sounds like complete poo poo live and vice versa.

Its worth considering that there is no such thing as 'good tone' in a vacuum. There are times when a 'poo poo tone' might be exactly what the song calls for, in my experience you know you've found the right tone when you play that particular part of the song and your gut goes "yes, that is exactly what that particular part needed".

I spent a while time playing in a noise rocky art punk band with a barking, midrangey plexi type tone because thats what "good tone" typically means to guitar nerds. When I switched to a buzzy metal pedal style tone the band sounded way more like that kind of music "should" sound though.

Gear and tone matters, but what you're trying to capture with it in the big picture of making music is 'feel' or 'attitude' or 'mood' and the tone is just an aspect of that. Thats something that needs to be discovered situationally and from the gut.

I say, buy whatever stupid piece of crap you wanna buy, write some music with it, sell it. Keep doing that as long as you're not too poor. as long as youre actually making music with it who gives a poo poo what your method is. just dont try to plan it out too much.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 10, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

steel Panther just come off as the tedious kind of ironic misogyny where the depth of the joke is “lol look how gross we are come on it’s just a joke lighten up jeez”. It’s not smart enough with its characters to be Spinal Tap and the strength of their music falls apart without the gimmick too.

I think it’s intetesting to compare them directly to The Darkness since they both have similar shticks as tounge in cheek retro hard rock bands, but illustrates well the difference between “being camp” and “being a gimmick band”. The Darkness are ridiculous but sincere, SP are too detached, ironic and downright mean spirited to achieve campiness.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 13, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

in the category of 'great execution, questionable taste'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zfYO9sZjrE

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Id say it sits on the bedrock directly between 'soul added' and 'troll added'. also roundtrees illustrations are the best thing to come from cracked

massive spider fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 18, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pokey Araya posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAL_14qLOas

Turn everything all the way up. It's actually unusably loud, but fun to gently caress with until your ears explode (about 1 minute).

oh my god

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I thought Hardwired was ok but I dont generally like metallica so my expectations were rock bottom to begin with.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEAJmsHZqo

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 1, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The HM2 benefits a lot from a precense knob like some of its clones because the hi knob is basically EDGINESS rather than an effective EQ

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The other thing is that cabinet power amp and speaker sound matters a lot and the first time you use a metal zone you're probably using it into a Line 6 Spider to play Nirvana covers. And by the time youve got a better amp you've ditched the metal zone. The goal of a good metal tone is generally to get crushing focused lows and that requires a lot of effort from the power section but the actual preamp could be SS clipping who cares.

Most of those guys sounded like the were getting usable tones except the headless guitar guy who clearly has questionable taste in several aspects.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 8, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

There’s an ad for oatly plant milk in the cinemas at the moment with the ceo awkwardly singing “it’s like milk, but made for huuumaans” in front of a keyboard and every time I see it I get incredible John Sakar vibes.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHho3_ZRKZ0

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

quote:

‘Fake band’ Threatin just played a UK tour to… absolutely no-one

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/fake-band-threatin-just-played-sold-uk-tour-absolutely-no-one-2400572#ugCJ7x98UH2PDGBZ.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxr6COyjD1o

Basically the band (one guy and hired guns) scored a UK tour at some decent sized clubs despite the fact entire fan base was paid social media likes.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 9, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pondex posted:

Why even put this much effort into a scam? There has to be a point when it's just easier to do the thing the legit way right?

e: and there's no way that ratio of positive youtube-comments can even exist in the wild.

e2: and why does every positive comment have an answer that doesn't exist?

It looks like ego delusion more than a money-making scam. Or rather it IS a money making scam but Threatin is the mark being scammed into buying anything that accelerates the dream. Tommy Wisau shooting his big Hollywood movie on film and digital and the same time.

I was in a band a few years ago who were obsessed with Making It and the bandleader would fall for all kinds of stupid poo poo: We need a proshoot video, I met a guy in the pub who has “industry contacts” and so on. We played a few gigs to big, empty rooms because playing on a big stage = being a real band. Even if we ended up out of pocket for it.

E: he faked gig videos too

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xaNKrnR4FMI&feature=youtu.be

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 9, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its not that surprising. Hes not an incomptent player, its just really corny in the way only an unchecked solo vanity project can be.

I garuntee you he floated the fake likes/promo vids idea to his old bands and was held back.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 16, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Philthy posted:

Looks like someone took a pic a few months back with this pedalboard of an unreleased Eventide pedal.

It hasn't been released yet, which might be why they're defensive about it? It may have already been registered etc.

Edit: It looks like earlier this year Eventide got sued for a plugin they just released called Fission and they had to rename it to Physion or something goofy. I bet that moment forward they got their ducks in a row for all products they plan to release....

Is that the guy from living colors pedalboard? I saw that purely because it’s obscene, and I know his is ridiculous.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This looks like someone wanted to paint a silverburst but also wanted to finish work by 3pm.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Fun fact, the original terminator theme is in 13/16 because the initial drum loop was sampled weird and in one take.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

From Electro Harmonix

quote:

"Chinese pirates of Electro-Harmonix software walk the plank!"

Shenzhen MooerAudio Co., Ltd., a Chinese manufacturer and marketer of electronic effects pedals, was flagrantly infringing on EHX's copyrighted software. Two of Mooer's effects pedals, an organ simulator named the "Mooergan" and an octave pedal called the "Tender Octaver" included exact copies of the compiled software contained in EHX's C9 Organ Machine and Micro POG pedals.

The infringement was so bold and blatant that Shenzhen Mooer audaciously copied the Electro-Harmonix copyright notice in the software powering the C9 and Micro POG. After becoming aware of this piracy, Electro-Harmonix retained counsel and aggressively sought recourse.

EHX President, Mike Matthews, stated: "Electro-Harmonix has successfully won battles with labor racketeers in the U.S.A. and ruthless mobsters in Russia. After almost two years of fighting the Chinese courts have awarded Electro-Harmonix a nearly six figure judgement. Our victory is now complete and these pirates have walked the plank!"

lol I knew that the Tender Octaver was being pulled from shelves due to pressure from EHX but they'd directly just ctrl-v ed the software from the POG.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Custom molded ones are reportedly the best but when I tried to get them fitted I was told I have weird ears.

I like the ones with the vented design best (eggz) becasue you get less bass occlusion and also they dont stick out of your ears like the christmas tree design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Played in a venue in the northern arse end of england, as we pulled up to the venue we realised it was a combination bar/restaurant/pizza place. The live in owner greeted us and seemed friendly enough.

We were supposed to staying at the venue but after being shown to our rooms they were in such a dank, mildew-ey state that half the band elected to get a hotel room, the other half sleep on the floor in the bar itself rather than dank unwashed mildey beds.

After a few drinks the venue owner became the kind of drunk who loses focus in his eyes and gets a slightly intimidating, nasty edge. The barmaid quit that night in tears after being berated by him "why is he always like this every weekend?!" was the phrase I heard.

We play in the basement, 4 or so people show up, theres an altercation between the keyboard player and the owner after he realises he's been filming us with the cameras in the venue without telling us in advance. (I dont care personally but whatever)

I got out after the gig, try to get back in only to find the doors are locked. I call up the bass player, and apparently I'm not 'allowed' back in by the venue owner. 'This is my house! I don't just let anyone into my house, would you let me into your house? I could be anyone you know? I could stab you while you sleep! GooD NIGHT!" was the rant I heard relayed to me after.

I get back first thing in the morning (I stayed in the hotel room) all our gear is piled up at the door for a quick load into the van and exit. According to the bassist and drummer when they woke up in the night the venue owner had elected to sleep on the bar room floor with them.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 7, 2019