Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Nice swanky new thread we got here.

The True Tonethread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I'm not exactly sure whether this is Stupid Music poo poo or Awesome Music poo poo but here's a video of a bunch of guitarists playing a Marshall 100w Plexi with every knob on 10 in a small room with glass windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKTi8l8Yuxg

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

This might be a bit of a late reply but this kind of "what IS music, maaan???" poo poo is dumb as hell... and therefore perfect for this thread!

This guy seems like he's the Henry Kaiser of drumming. As far as I can tell he's simply a talentless rear end in a top hat who tries to make you think he's really cutting edge and avant-garde because it's a lot harder to spend a whole afternoon learning the most basic things about your instrument than it is to just stampede onto a stage and scream "look at meeeeeee!!"

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 27, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

kjetting posted:

I like them, for being the weird cultural mix they are. Les Pauls are always so classy looking with their burst finish and shiny bits, I love that they kept the shape and instead went for the hardware and finish of an Ibanez RG superstrat. It's about as great trolling as the frankenstein guitars posted in the old thread that would be tele bodies with Les Paul necks or SG's with Tele necks. Add a tone handle and I'd buy it just to piss people off. A pink LP with a Floyd bridge? I know some people who would be blowing steam out their ears just at the sight. Even though I normally hate locking trems, I'd even make an exception for this crazy monstrosity.

$4,000+ is a lot of cash to spend "ironically."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

kjetting posted:

What the gently caress? 4.000?
Well, that's Gibson for you.

Yep. An ironic guitar is almost always cool and good but when they push them into the "last guitar you'll ever want to touch" price range, you know something is bad wrong at HQ.

You know, with this kind of fantastic managerial competence at Gibson, it's hard to see how such a smart company who knows exactly what the market wants and needs could be over half a loving billion dollars in debt right now.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 31, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

dex_sda posted:

what the gently caress

You've obviously never been to the rural South.
I'm surprised they didn't pan over to the amateur "pro-wrestling" ring probably on the other side of the room where two dudes were undoubtedly doing suplexes on each other in a big chicken wire cage.

Here, have one of their fantastic interviews.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3hVEy8Y8dg

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

This is the most "back in my day," narrow-minded thing I've read in a while.
The guitar is a device meant for creative expression. You can make it sound like literally anything you want, and that's valid, as long as it helps you express what you intend to express. If the best way to get across your intention is to put the goddamn thing in an oven and record the sound of wood burning and strings popping, that's valid. Expensive, but still valid.

Guys like Joe think of the guitar as a puzzle that can only be solved through the playing of Hendrix riffs.

vvv edit: gently caress Henry Kaiser though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 3, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

kjetting posted:

What the loving gently caress? Are these guys just trolling? That's just terrible in every conceivable way. Terrible technique, tone, rhythm, everything! Are these guitarists that get paid to show off their playing?

I am convinced their fans are either complete idiots who have never touched an instrument in their lives or actually heard any other music, or arty pretentious types who like to read too deep into shallow, meaningless things and "interpret" lofty concepts that aren't there as some weird masturbatory mental exercise.

Also, you know, ironic hipsters. But they weren't around when these guys got popular so...

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 3, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Just saw this in the mail.

You mean I get a ~*~free patch cable~*~ if I simply buy this $2,600 guitar?
Holy gently caress how do you people stay in business?

Yeah it says "with every order" but it's still a very peculiar to place that guitar right under it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
My favorite story about Gibson is when they hired some marketing person to come help them with their image because they were failing horribly, then that person had a meeting with CEO Henry and started asking basic questions like “so, what is your current marketing strategy, and what do you envision your future marketing looking like?“ to which Henry smugly smiled and scoffed and said something like “yeah, I bet you’d like to know that wouldn’t you.”

Bitch your company hired this marketing person because your marketing strategy has obviously sucked horribly to the point you need outside help. How delusional do you have to be to look at the marketing professional you just hired to fix your image and openly taunt them about how great your image and marketing is.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 22, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Jesus Christ.

I'm the shallow cutaway that prevents access to anything higher than the 17th fret.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Does anybody here have any experience with Chibson guitars, or Chinese knockoff Gibsons? I figured if anywhere, this would be the thread for it.

I’ve heard that if you’re willing to replace the crap electronics and do a bit of setup work, you can get a really solid framework of a guitar for cheap, but I’ve never really spoken to anyone who has played one.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That’s really interesting to hear that some of these chibsons were made in Epiphone factories. So a lot of these guitars are just Epiphones with “different” headstocks then?

It’s funny, I basically have zero experience with Epiphones. Has anybody here ever played one that’s as good or better than the real deal?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

stillvisions posted:

I can't say it's built in an Epiphone factory or not, but I know that's one way bootlegs get made - either QA rejects (or "rejects" pulled off the line to sell later), or off-hours models. Given the conditions in these factories, it's not surprising the employees will take any opportunity they can to make some cash on the side if the management isn't paying attention.

As for Epiphone quality, people I've known seem to like them, but stress that you have to really play one and know what you're doing to make sure you're not getting a crappy one. Or get the super mass-produced $100 Les Paul and assume the assembly line is reasonable. If you order them online it's a dice roll.

Got it. Welp, I've been thinking about buying a Chibson lately but after going to a few music stores and trying out a few Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls just to get used to them, I can say for sure that they're so all over the place that I really can't justify spending any money on one sight unseen. They're all so drastically different in feel, quality, and neck shape from one to the other, even multiple guitars of the exact same model and color, that it seems like too big of a risk.

For example, among the guitars I played over just the last few days, two were of a recent model (same color and everything) but they both felt extremely different. I'm not even talking about just the setup, but the feel of the wood itself. You could tell they were sanded by hand, which is cool but also made them feel hugely different with different spots along the neck being smoother/rougher than the other one, etc. Also, one had a good looking dark rosewood fretboard and the other also had a rosewood fretboard, but it was an off-putting greyish kind of color, with obvious streaks in the grain. So basically to echo everybody else, if you can't put it in your hands first, don't buy a Les Paul, or any guitar for that matter, really.

So yeah. I'm quickly moving to the opinion that I don't care how cheap they are, if it's sitting in your music space and for whatever reason you just can’t bond with the thing and so when you see it you don't want to pick it up and play it, you've wasted your money, even if it was only $150.

Sucks, I was looking forward to ordering a gently caress You Gibson guitar, but at the end of the day I’m not going to spend money on a guitar I don’t love. With Chibsons you can’t play one first before buying, so it's just too risky.

Dang.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 30, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

all hail king pud. wielder of the hammer of the gods while the missus is at hobby lobby. master of the minor pentatonic box pattern. possessor of arcane knowledge of two mighty riffs, one of which kinda sounds like an iron maiden thing, maybe 2 minutes to midnight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjdsqTV8Bsw

That guy's house isn't nice enough for him to have the contents of like at least 8 boutique guitar stores' worth of poo poo in it like he does.

edit: And normally, when it comes to buying gear and how nice your gear is, to me it’s a hobby that makes people happy. So the money you spend on it shouldn’t necessarily equate to how good you are, but instead how much you like it.

Having said that... after spending what could easily equate to the cost of a modern house on guitar gear, you’d think the Tone King would learn more than half a dozen clumsily-played generic riffs.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 3, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
We don't have an "awesome music poo poo" thread so here's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoneBwNcENI

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Aborted Facehuggercaster

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
*presses distortion button and starts playing*

*tttssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss yoom yoom tssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss reeeeeeeeeeeee rrrreeeeeeeeee tsssssssssssssssssss*

Beautiful.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fair Hallion posted:

he's got a great bunch of guitars as the header pic of his YT channel

Well that explains the playing and tone and amps and underwear and tshirt and hair at least.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
post is not edit.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is basically a voyeur video of me jamming everyday but I’m thiccer and don’t always wear a shirt while I play.

keep going I'm almost there

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Weird BIAS posted:

Stupid Music poo poo: Your guitar that needed routing done to fit a pickup just had that done, still needs to be wired. Original invoice date January 2016.

So I'm confused. Did somebody else hold your guitar hostage for the last two years just not doing anything with it? Also how much are you going to charge them in leasing fees?

Or did I misunderstand and you have been sitting on a pickup-less guitar for two years?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Sorry if this sounds too internet tough guy but how did you not kick the living poo poo out of those guys? Do you not have an ounce of self-respect?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

They're out of order.

The 4th and 5th strings are out of goddamn order.

What

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why are JCM800s so expensive? Is it the branding? There's no reason for a single channel tube amp to be that expensive.

Like other people have said, import expenses + popularity + they genuinely sound good + no longer in production.

A JCM 800 is the kind of amp you would only want in a band setting though. On their own they sound pretty thin and raspy, but they sound legit incredible turned up loud and set in a mix, especially with a decent boost in front.

However if you’re a guy who’s never played in a group and spend the majority of your time playing guitar as a lone instrument at low volume, some buzzy solid-state amp that emphasizes gain and bass probably will sound better to you in that setting.

This doesn’t make what that guy did any less retarded though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 8, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

oh duh, I looked it up and it's pretty much a plexi with a master volume.

Wait what the hell are you talking about? They make reissue versions of them, complete with effects loops. And they sound amazing on their own, I love mine. It's such a great pedal platform and really benefits from a tube screamer and/or distortion out front. It's completely the opposite of what you mentioned.

Must be different than the ones I've played then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've played quite a handful of thin and raspy, nasally sounding JCM 800's.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

lol those are awful.

I remember when the JCM 2000's came out and they made a couple of head versions, a DSL and TSL. The TSL had an extra row of knobs for more versatility and control in theory but the real difference was that the DSL had JCM 800-style transformers while the TSL had JCM 900-style transformers. I was able to A/B them at a pretty good volume and even with the same preamp, there was a world of difference. The DSL sounded huge and great and the TSL sounded... not like that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
If Gibson would make a Les Paul with a standard maple top and a flame veneer and price it fairly (as in not ludicrously high like everything else they make) I might actually legitimately think about buying one before remembering what a piece of poo poo HJ is and deciding against it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I agree with his points but the way he delivers the message is hilariously seething:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HoQE4sKN_0

Also, he makes a big point about the fact Entombed used an Audio Technica mic and that this is the key to their sound (besides an HM-2 -> DS-1 -> Peavey Bandit, of course). Unless Dismember and Grave and Unleashed also used this same mic I'm going to go ahead and say it's the aforementioned Boss pedals with a Peavey that's actually the key you fookin' dingus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8muvSm7sJ4

The man needs views, I get it.

I've always hated the argument that music isn't good unless it's recorded by one band in one room in one take. Raw technical musical ability at both a personal and group level is fine and good, but at the end of the day, literally the only thing that matters with recorded music is what comes out of the speakers. Doesn't matter if it's done by the whole band at the same time in one take or in a million different takes in different places then all emailed to the producer and mixed together later. Who gives a poo poo. It's music. It is 100% aesthetic. If it sounds good, it is good.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 21, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

stillvisions posted:

NAMM is coming up! Who's excited for:

- "Beautiful tone" demo videos in a noisy room without a line input

I think of all the stupid music poo poo on the internet, this pisses me off the most.

“Hey everybody here’s my new $3,000 amp rig, check out how great it sounds!”

*Records playing through the shittiest cell phone / 90’s camcorder mic possible that’s all the way across the non-carpeted room and may or may not be facing the amp*

Actually, even with a good mic, there’s so much you can do with postproduction nowadays that about the only thing you can really, honestly tell from almost any tone demo you listen to is that the device in question does in fact actually turn on and produce sound.

Bonus points if the amplifier is obviously primarily a high gain amp and the reviewer spends the first 10 minutes playing through the afterthought of a clean channel because it’s “channel 1.”

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 23, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Guitar players can be really dumb but in all fairness Line6's stuff sounds like crap 99% of the time.

I'd say the Axe-Fx/Kemper were the last real "disruptors" of the guitar world. There hasn't really been much in the way of guitars disrupting anything in the last... 20 years or so though? I mean maybe the surge in popularity of 7-strings because of djent stuff. There have been innovations like the buzz fieten tuning system and evertune bridges and stuff like that but they're not nearly widespread enough to consider them disrupting anything.

I'd love to have a Fernandez Sustainer system installed on a goofy shredder though. Then again I think that innovation is more than 20 years old. Still though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 23, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ergonomics of most guitars are hilariously awful and people like Ola Strandberg are makes huge strides.

Yeah but headless guitars are the dorkiest looking things on the planet and thus not worth whatever innovations they might bring.

edit: I'd rather play a Keytar.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 23, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Malaria posted:

Import guitars have gotten sooo much better. "American Made" isn't a big deal anymore imo

This is very true. I bought a PRS Custom 22 in the late 90’s for right around 2 grand. In 2017 I bought a Fender Mexican Baja Telecaster for just over $500 and it is, playability wise, absolutely every bit as good.* and last year I also spent just under $500 on an Indonesian shredder with a locking trem I absolutely cannot divebomb out of tune and HSH config, and it plays excellently. For under $500.

*I played like 8 of them before I found the one I loved so it’s definitely not a guarantee, but it’s possible if you spend time looking, which is incredible.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I love the Doom 2016 soundtrack. I do miss that there's not a true 1:1 cover of the original theme but for what it is, it's great.

I'll put it this way I think this and the original Deus Ex soundtrack are the only video game soundtracks I've ever gone out of my way to listen to outside of playing the games.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Malaria posted:

If that Jaguar/Strat is 24" scale I'm buying one.

Those are pretty cool.

I've never been a Jag guy, like ever, but I'm with you there. That guitar looks great.

edit: also if the telecaster with the strat body had a black pickguard I'd probably be a lot more into that one also, even though it's weirder.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 25, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t watch Dines or particularly like him but I don’t get why everyone is so butthurt about his goofy dumb guitar. It’s a joke!

That's hilarious!

I love multi-thousand-dollar "jokes" or however much that useless retarded idiot thing costs.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 28, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I hope he plays that Behold The Arctopus song with that thing and does it with 100% sincerity to make you mad.

That would be funny though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

lol

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Kinda makes you wonder how the band members put up with it as often as they do if it really is that crazy on the body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Sorry man, seems like Missy was a great pup.