Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Keytars can be cool. On select occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

That’s really interesting to hear that some of these chibsons were made in Epiphone factories. So a lot of these guitars are just Epiphones with “different” headstocks then?

It’s funny, I basically have zero experience with Epiphones. Has anybody here ever played one that’s as good or better than the real deal?
This is from like 10 days ago, but if you're willing to get a Les Paul for way less money but don't want to skip on quality stuff, just get an Edwards. It's basically how ESP gets around and sells Fender/Gibson clones to the Japanese market, and through Reverb you can usually find them around the 700-800 range used. They're pretty rad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The other guitar player from my original band loved that his PRS Custom 22 (the one with Fender Style Bridge w/ whammy bar and rotatory pickup selector?) had a ton of belt-scratches, cuts and stuff of the like. It looked beautiful too. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Malaria posted:

Mockingbird's are cool.

The stealth, aka the Chuck Schuldiner model owns though.

Ibanez made a knock-off called the Xiphos and I could never get into it. I think I actually don't mind this form too much.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Apparently Gibson is suing Funko Pop over using Gibson guitar shapes on their little dolls of rock stars
Found the link. I don't know what to think anymore with regards to Gibson, but the one thought that firmly comes up is "Shouldn't you be worrying about the mountain of loving debt you're currently in, instead of further doing the kind of poo poo that probably landed you there in the first place?"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Periodic reminder that seymour duncan zephyrs exist
Addendum / Anecdote: A friend paid close to 600 bucks for a Bare Knuckle humbucker set, at which point I reminded him that he got the guitar for 100 bucks shy of that and he proceeded to give me the silent treatment for like a week after that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Ragnarok. Is that the one Misha uses? My friend loves Periphery to an unhealthy degree. It was around Black Friday last year, if I don't completely misremember.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hi, THR10x user here. At home I have 2 Mesa Boogie Amps:
  • A Recto-Verb 25 Head running into an Orange 2x12 Open Back Cabinet and...
  • An Express 5:25 Plus Combo.
More often than not, though? I'm using the THR10x for Home Practice. For late night practice I have two Headphone sets but I mostly use the Shure SRH840. They're relatively "inexpensive" and sound rad. And... well, it's a really swell amp. And most stores will sell you the bundle that includes Cubase, so that you can record your ideas super easy and straight from the amp.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My friend replaced the High channel on a Peavey Studio 60 with a Boss HM-2 he built (the Low channel is now the previous High channel). Behold:

The green board is the HM-2:

The demo:

https://vimeo.com/249699565

This is stupid alright. Stupidly loving rad! :black101:

Didn't we use to have an amp thread? Or did that get archived?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have a JCM800 from 1981, and:
  • It's the one amp that I've worked on to maintain functional as extensively as I have all the other amps I have combined, past and present (and probably future).
  • It weights a ton for a head.
  • It smells weird (kinda like coffee? It's not a bad smell, but it's a smell you wouldn't expect from amps)
  • I've had to replace its "legs" like 3 times (the little things that fit into most 4x12 cabinets)
  • A shitload of people around town want to borrow it, but asking for it back is a bitch and they try to guilt-trip me so that they can keep using it for whatever lovely-rear end music they want to record.
  • It looks like the swamp thing at this point
  • It no longer has the grill
  • From a technical, practical and taste-centric standpoint, I have three amps that blow it the gently caress out of the water (The Soldano SLO100, the Orange Rockerverb and the Mesa Boogie Mark IV)
... at the same time, every once in a while, I power it up and crank it nice. It's like beginning a reincarnation ritual.

My favorite song to play on it is "False Light" from Isis. :black101:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doomy posted:

lmao anyone want half a flame top LP?

At this point, I kinda just want to tell them "Just do the Maple Veneer already, you pussies. It's fine. Nobody's gonna judge you. Do the guitar justice and stop loving up already"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I used to this with my Digitech Whammy and while it worked, I couldn't do anything about anything in any sort of dropped tuning or strange tuning since it couldn't do it on a per-string basis. I'm also big on having all of my guitar fuckery contain in the guitar itself, I sold all of my pedals a while ago because I just hate having all that poo poo laying around when I only used them for certain things, or for some, one track.

The Variax line of guitars seem to offer what I'm after but I don't think that poo poo will fit into my Steinberger. It also seems to do everything via the bridge and there's no way of getting that poo poo in the Steinberger either.
Just as a heads up, the Digitech Drop DOES work with drop tunings (for example, I use my Drop-D guitar 1 or 2 semi-tones down for when I'm with my cover band). The one downside is that strings need to be properly tuned for consistency, so having a guitar equipped with locking tuners / evertune bridge / locking trem is your best bet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, right! Silly me. I misunderstood you completely.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

I'm not saying the article's wrong, I too have seen approximately a billion of those delay units on pedalboards at shows, I mostly posted it for how pitchforky it is.
You mean Richdork Magazine? The ones partially responsible for Converge becoming something beyond a footnote in rock history?

I half-kid. I like me some Converge, but holy poo poo if it doesn't feel like they've been playing the same record since You Fail Me

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

gently caress andy sneap

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:what:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, the biggest disruption for me, tone-wise, was the fact that instead of paying up the rear end, you can buy apps / small amps and get decent/good/great tone in the US$500 range. For 2018 I literally just started leaving my amps in the storage or in the rehearsing room of one of the bands I'm in because at home I can record pretty solid demos with my Snot-Green Yamaha Amp. I paid like 250 for it and I can dial really killer tones that translate into really good demos and I can share those with my band to get ideas flowing super quick.

Practicality-wise, I want to say that the Evertune bridge seems like the greatest thing ever because the other guitar player in my post-rockish band has one in 2 of her guitars and goddamn does she sometimes go wild on-stage with her shenanigans and at no point is she ever out of tune and I want it installed in one of my guitars.

Malaria posted:

Import guitars have gotten sooo much better. "American Made" isn't a big deal anymore imo
And yeah, basically this. I have 9 guitars and 5 of those are Korean-made and doggone are they fierce.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Jared Dines got his 18 stringer finally.
Isn't this the guy butt-hurt that a weird one-off guitar he commissioned got actually built by a chinese company?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The guy who was claiming to be building his guitar was farming out previous orders to China but decided to just keep his money and not give him anything because ripping off someone with a huge social media presence couldn't possibly backfire.
Bummer. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are SunnO))) actually louder than Motörhead, Dinosaur Jr, the Melvins or early Isis? I actually remember being at an early (Oceanic-era) Isis show and having to break out the ear-plugs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

It’s not just the volume but the frequency of Sunn, it makes weird internal parts of your body start vibrating. Like your sinuses will come alive all of a sudden.
I actually went to Google Play and bought The Black One, since it was available for 3 bucks. I just finished listening to it in its entirety and... uh, I feel like I kinda have to pee? :confuoot:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I thought the dynamic with Swans was raping women.

edit: Michael Gira allegedly raped a friend of his who was on his label. Gira's defense was that he was drunk and can't remember but he definitely didn't do it. Sorry for being an edgelord.
Yeah, Gira is a creep, but Thor Harris (former Swans drummer) was a bro and I'm thankful for his teachings. Loved his stint on Shearwater, too. And his tips on being a touring band have been consistently helpful to this day. Almost every band that has recorded with me has read them (they were, from December 2010 'til I semi-retired in February 2017, printed out and pinned in my studio's bulletin board).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Also I'm probably going to actually buy the new brent hinds terror from orange anyway so, y'know
Wait that's out already? :aaaaa:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, what happened with EGC? :ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I don't know this story either

...I still want the amp tho

e: It looks like he paid EGC to make a custom guitar and then the people at EGC decided to make a few more of the same design for other people and he got kinda mad
Heck, :same: wrt that amp.

Brent being a douche-drinker is a well-documented thing. Brann is a bigger weirdo but still a fairly pleasant fella while both Troy and Bill are ridiculously stand-up guys.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wanted to have a good start of my weekend.

I too, didn't expect to check the stupid music poo poo (Mk. II) thread and found myself crying like a little kid. :cry:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gringostar posted:

no one's really picking up a guitar anymore for a number of reasons anyway
:crossarms:

Like I know there are a ton of guys doing Dubstep / Vaporwave / Chill-hop, but I still see a lot of those same musicians using guitars and basses.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

It's a useful instrument and still present on songs, there just aren't GUITAR GODS on every radio station right now and thats alright
It's because we've been looking at the wrong place all this time. Misha Mansoor? Tosin Abasi? Ola Englund? Who gives a gently caress about those nerdlingers! Taylor Swift is where it's at!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing I'm glad is that, for however many whine that "the guitar is dead :qq:" and poo poo like that, for as little as... I dunno, 400 dollars? Or something like that, you can get a Korean-made Agile / Indonesian-made LTD which will, 9 times out of 10, hold up for you. I mean, sure, you're probably gonna want to spend at least 200 bucks in putting locking tuners / different pickups at some point, but still! And if you save up like 800 bucks, you can get an LTD's with locking tuners AND SD / EMG pickups or hell, even with an Evertune if it's a limited-edition kinda dealie!

The other guitar player in my (sorta) post-rock band has like at least half-a-dozen expensive guitars and whatnot (we're talking an Aristides 7-string, a Maryland-made PRS Custom 24 and a Mayones 8 string, to name the 3 I can recall off the bat), but for live / recording situations? She uses an LTD Eclipse that came with an Evertune bridge and a Gretsch from the Fall Out Boy dude that I helped her with installing locking-tuners. I myself mainly use a 28.5 Inch Scale Agile Baritone, which I've taken to tune similarly to what Steph from the Deftones would use in a 6 string (F♯-C♯-F♯-B-D♯-G♯). I got it for 350 dollars.

That is loving nuts. In the best way. :dance:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i dunno in the case of agile their stock pickups are actually pretty decent and they use grover tuners

sucks about the labor conditions in the korean factories though
They totally are! Had mine for 5 months now and the only new thing I've gotten was a new nut (previous one got slightly damaged).

On the second thing, aren't improved labor conditions on SK-factories the reason the main overseas companies (like Cort and WMIC) moved most of their operations to Indonesia or China and whatnot? I mean, it's what I've heard from the Know your Gear guy, so grain of salt and such.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

who the hell are those guys i thought that was the band with sammy hagar and joe satriani that nobody listens to
Chickenfoot? (Satch, Hagar, Michael Anthony and Will Ferrell Chad Smith).

Man, it still surprises me the number of bands who still released stuff after the 2003-2006 period (what I like to call "The Myspace Era"). These Switchfoot guys are among those. Out of the whole "Summer of Screamo" bands, there were maybe... 10 good bands?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw on Facebook the other night that one of my friends drove an hour away to see Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin and Bullet for my Valentine. It's been a solid 12 years at least since those bands were at the height of their popularity, right? And they weren't even good then, just popular. I guess they'll always have a market, though.
Yeah, they all have/had an edge/gimmick/funny thing going on which kinda fills a niche.
  • Avenged Sevenfold were basically playing second fiddle to all the Metalcore bands from the Massachusetts/Connecticut area (All that Remains, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Hatebreed, etc) pretty much because they were always starting poo poo with OC bands, then M. Shadows thought he could start pretending to be Axl Rose and the guitar dude decided he needed to be like the weirdest wank-guitarist ever so they switched to play "Hard Rock", unaware that the only band who has done the Metalcore / Hard rock fusion/switch even remotely well was Every Time I Die. And now that Axl, Slash and Duff are together trying to get stupid amounts of money, I wonder if they started to feel a little redundant and went back to trying to play Metalcore / "Thrash".
  • Breaking Benjamin's singer actually has(had? haven't heard them in a while) a decent voice, even if they're 2-steps away from playing Nu-metal. Aside from early and post-2009 Chevelle, they're probably the one "Tool-lite" band I don't hate as much.
  • When I first heard of Bullet for My Valentine sounded like a metalcore, slightly less lovely lostprophets, and the only reason I ever even gave lostprophets the time of day was because they kinda reminded me of Glassjaw, so no thanks. I mean, I guess their second record was alright, but that came out in 2008 or 2009.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Music industry dumb so wat"

Okay. :geno:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chrpno posted:

welp, I guess Leo had well and truly lost the plot by the 70s

The metal guard for the controls is dumb, but everything else is rad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no doubt, the final result kinda looks flimsy as poo poo, but I would actually see myself buying a lefty version of this if well-built.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

$5 grand is like the upper ceiling price you’d pay for an entirely custom made guitar that is personally tailored for you after months of iterative design and testing, where you then personally get to choose every piece of wood and component, and it’s like the last guitar you ever plan to play, and then just before you die, you ceremoniously bestow upon an heir.

A company with notoriously poo poo QC asking $5k for a goddamn gimmick side guitar off the rack is Dr. Evil ransom level retarded.

The designs are kinda cool though.
I paid $800 for a Korean-made Lefty PRS back in december and this is gonna read Peak-Stupid-Music-poo poo, but I might honestly consider saving up for one of them Maryland-made because HOLY poo poo my hands are like "RIGHT HERE. RIGHT HERE MOTHERFUCKER IS YOUR STANDARD TUNING GUITAR :dance:"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Any Jazzmaster/Telecaster type that costs that much and doesn't come with a Mastery Bridge needs to gently caress right off.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress Gibson. I hope Fender buys them and sends all production to China. Maybe that way they'll get their QC up to par.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Schecters have incredibly dumb inlays / overall looks (sometimes) but they tend to be extremely reliable, so it balances out. Their Telecaster versions are wicked beautiful, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

gently caress it, ESP. Bring back the ESP Explorer.
JAMES HETFIELD ESP SPECIAL EDITION: EET FUK :black101: