Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Shugojin posted:

3 people are really loving stupid

I’m going through the thread again and maybe I don’t know how Reverb works but did this guy make it look slightly less fake over the past few years and then slashed the price? He took out the middle pickup and swapped the neck with something that looks more like a Telecaster neck?

Edit: Oh weird the seller on the listing posted here in 2018 is a different seller name, but it has branding of the old seller that you can see in the old photo compared to the headstock of the new photo.

URL from the OP for the lazy:
https://reverb.com/item/7497260-jimmy-page-dragon-telecaster-dragoncaster-tribute-custom-licensed-replica-w-hard-case

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

BonHair posted:

The grain of the wood looks different, and one of them has some blue behind the bridge, so I'm guessing it's at least two different guitars

They had one other guitar which was a SRV one and the pictures had multiple different necks on the same listing I think these two listings have just been evolving slowly over the years after this person tried to rebrand. It was just weird because normally if you go through the thread the reverb links are all dead but this person is still trying to counterfeit these two guitars with the same listing. I’m assuming the fact that they’re still up means he’s never sold one.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mweber posted:

The listing is pretty funny. That guy will slap that paint job on pretty much anything you want.

It’d be fun to buy a Ali express tele and slap one of those decals on it.

Edit: That’s still at least like 100 bucks though. I’m not paying 1500 dollars.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 6, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Practice Bass in the car eh?
https://youtu.be/RiFlpIN6MJ8

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

syntaxfunction posted:

I just want somewhere local to have an Epiphone LP Prophecy to try out. I love Les Pauls, but I want it more modern. And unless ESP has perfectly traditional bodies I'll pass. I just can't vibe with the small changes companies do like making it a little pointier.

The headstock is a little wonky but I really wanna try one of the Sire lps.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Kingo Ligma posted:

I love Steve Albini but that might be the most successfully brutal takedown I've ever seen that didn't end in a Romanian prison

I like Steve Albini, but I feel like if I knew Steve Albini IRL I’d say “yeah dude whatever” a lot.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I always think of vintage as a demarcation of guitars so old you wouldn’t want to play them anyway and they’re for lawyers and day traders to keep as diversified securities. Therefor 90s Jaguars aren’t vintage because ever since someone brought Jaguars up in another thread I wanna play one real bad.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Southern Cassowary posted:

yeah that loving owns, if i saw a guitar with scars like that on reverb i'd assume it's a hell of a player because the previous owner played the poo poo out it

I would buy it but I’d require all 4 knobs first. I used to have the same model Studio and if it had a gut contour I’d buy it again. That guitar sounded amazing, but wow did I hate holding it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i have the other two knobs somewhere i think. i don't think i'd use anything as heavy live if i ever joined a band again, although i wouldn't be jumping around like i did in the past. i'm sure it's partially responsible for my back pain.

I heard somewhere that they recently stopped adding the weight reduction chambers again for some reason? That’s actual stupid music poo poo if that’s real.

Edit: I can’t find anything about it on the internet so I think it was just some poo poo someone said on a forum.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 6, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

im going to gently caress josh scott

Good luck, most YouTube gear reviewers are church guys, and Josh is married and a certified church guy.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's not the certificate of innocence you think it is

It’s just weird that they’re all evangelical church guys, or maybe it’s not really on reflection.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

It would be pretty funny based on how JHS show approaches things if the switches on their TS and Rat boxes to switch between the versions were just there for placebo.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Gramps posted:

I mean he did do a long con where he used a kemper in all his videos for like an entire year and told no one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tltu3yVJWQg

Lol

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Spanish Manlove posted:

Kinda seems like sampling bias as YouTube dudes for heavy metal gear seem somewhat unreligious

I was recommended The Pedal Show and 60 Cycle hum when surfing the algorithm at some point when I fell down a rabbit hole of people testing cheap guitars and pedals.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah so guitarists have discovered what already happened in the retro game community: any time something is mentioned on a famous YouTube channel it shoots up in price as people scramble to get one.

Don’t tell anyone, but I’m buying up ALL the Rats.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Mister Speaker posted:

Taking impulse responses from the human body's orifices would give a whole new meaning to the term 'sounding'.

Lol Screen name post combo.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i have a dickload of pedals but 90% of the time im only using an orange squeeze & muh spring reverb

I occasionally plug my guitars in to make sure the electronics still work.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

BonHair posted:

As I understand it, American churches are basically high budget entertainment centers, so the big ones actually pay a decent wage to musicians to work at a pretty reasonable hour with few schedule conflicts in a fixed location. It's basically a dream job if you don't mind (or like) the Jesus and hellfire bits. And what does a guitarist do with income? Buy gear!

I live in the middle of nowhere in a flyover state and I had to attend a baptism at one of the huge churches out here and this place in the middle of nowhere had a full band (apparently with an ex Bon Jovi bass player), stage, sound system, isolation booth for the drums. Guitar players had massive pedal boards.

Maybe the worst music I’ve heard in my life. Like a Bon Jovi cover band that decided to play their originals.

Edit: I should point out these giant churches are a recent development out here, like in the last 10 years.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Lot going on with this thumbnail:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Does Beato ask him why he feels the need to wear a silly wig in APC?

Idk, I didn’t even know he did that. MJK reminds me of the Scott Adams of music.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

Can't wait until new tube amps start including kill switches that activate if you don't connect them to your PC via bluetooth at least once a week to verify that your Tube Net™ Subscription is still up to date.

It will be fine though, the benefits of the subscription will be that you get constant updates to the security of the onboard Tube Net™ software!

Roland is going door to door and installing Arcade coin slots on all the Katana’s.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The worst part of my DAW is when it forces me to auto tune all my tracks before exporting the audio.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Too late OP, Fender Twin Reverb. Topic locked.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Since I started using the right drivers I’ve never had latency issues with my Scarlett, but the direct x driver was at best a whole beat off.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

In newer videos I see whatever Christopher Cross is playing has a Floyd Rose on it, so he must be an ok guy.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6UlyyQjAtM

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 18, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

hexwren posted:

so annoyed

at my first show since before covid and i just pulled my earplug case out of my pocket to find out the plastic inside degraded and they're all hosed up with chemicals

My first show back we sat way back in the balcony and just drank. I’m old now, but it was comfy as poo poo.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I think it was here or the guitar thread where someone mentioned tying fishing line to the pots and switch before taking them out and leaving it threaded through the proper holes and when I think about it in my head I think that’s get you most of the way. There’s bound to be other complications though.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Jonny Nox posted:

Bad news. I think Youtube Music has figured out I’m a mid-40s white guy

More concerning is the tonal whiplash coming up…

Having to shut auto play off on an album to album basis is stupid music poo poo.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Hell yea, the rig rundown guy finally gets his rig rundown.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Shugojin posted:

I've barely had any calls from them :shrug: but that might be because i just ignore the call if i see fort wayne indiana on the ID and they gave up

Lol I thought those were robocalls until just now. I was confused about people saying they get calls from them until this instant.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

hexwren posted:

that does admittedly look really cool

but, yeah, I posted this image of the almost word-for-word identical CL posting in the original stupid music poo poo thread in 2017. this piano clearly has still not sold, even for the $745 discount (plenty of other wild poo poo if you click through to the post)

Buy a Kawai and some steer horns.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think the video version of Even Flow by Pearl Jam is different from the regular CD recording. I don’t know why I remember this and I don’t know how it would be possible to look up, but it’s a good question.

I think the song was remastered in a way that changed a lot of stuff because I remember hearing it on the radio in like 2010 or 11 and the drum pattern sounded totally different from what I remembered years before.

Edit: I’m searching around maybe there’s no truth to this, maybe I was confusing it with the video version like you mentioned.

Edit: oh there was a remixed version that came out in 2009 with a full copy of the original and a remixed version. Maybe they swapped what was playing on the radio for like royalties reasons or something.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 22, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I saw the Elton John pinball table in a bar and it was probably the oldest pinball machine I’ve ever played. That sort of just resulted in it not being much fun and it was really janky. The ball would just get stuck on the table sometimes.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is there a monolithic disparaging term for music that's only ever listened to by dudes who play guitar, or wish they played guitar? I'm thinking of every song you only ever see mentioned in a guitar magazine, or forum post, like Hendrix, Clapton, Vai, Satriani, The Weather Report, and modern stuff like Animals as Leaders and Polyphia.

I thought you were talking poo poo on Wayne Shorter until I remembered Jaco.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

I'd like to know this too. I saw Covet live and the audience full of these guys made it my least favourite concert experience. Not because Covet were bad (although, not amazing, tbh) or because it felt dangerous, just because there was an arrogance that led to thoughtless "ironic" moshing and no regard for other members of the crowd.

Music's a diverse thing and it's cool if someone gets joy from banging out power chords they can't name or running the guitar through 90 pedals in weird tunings or playing bleepy bloopy arpeggios on 7 string headless guitars or whatever, but these guys make it feel like a competition.

Eh, my "guitar hero" is the fairly rote J Mascis, but I liked his music as pop music before I liked it as spectacle.

I saw Covet and the crowd was fine. It was a pretty small show though in WI.

Edit: the actual stupid music poo poo was that it was super depressing how low the turnout was for live music in a pretty prime summer date in a decently large city. It must suck rear end to be a touring musician that’s not huge.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 15, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's music by virtuosos or really good guitarists but their audience isn't just guitar dweebs and you never see them on TGP or r/guitar. In the reverse, the bands I'm thinking of are only ever seen on those places

Gotta get Tricot their cut of the sweet gear page money.

Edit:

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, I don't blame Covet - I think math-y stuff can walk a thin line, but Covet and a couple of others often veers into mid-west emo territory enough just to be pretty songs. It just felt that every guy who had bought a Rick and Morty shirt and CBD vape, but never deodorant or conditioner was there. This was in Glasgow.

Yeah I can see it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I like Jaco on the first Pat Metheney record, to a point. That record is kind of rough but a cool listen to hear them working off one another, but there’s like a ton of times where the bass is trying to take over and it sounds busy.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I heard Tim Henson talk about his home studio for like 30 min in an interview, so we’re not friends. It could have been Beato’s fault because he was conducting the interview, but oh my god it was the most boring poo poo of all time.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I would listen to guitar wankery if anyone made good songs with it. Like I listened to that new Extreme song everyone said to listen to Nuno’s solo in and the actual song parts are the most embarrassing poo poo I’ve ever heard. It sounded like Van Halen but everyone had colds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

Okay it's been bugging me: we brought up Jaco before, but I can't come up with any other bassists known for that virtuoso wank style of playing. Maybe Victor Wooten? I can think of lots of famous bass players, but none fit the bill.

Charles Mingus.