Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Dr. Faustus posted:

Anyway, the point was: Does anyone really use double-neck and if so, what are they? I'm fascinated. I feel that if I had, say, a double-neck 12/6-string, I might need two signal chains (amps and effects) to run them through. That's a lot of effort for something I could probably ignore or do with a pedal.

The only band I can think of that uses a doubleneck is El Ten Eleven. It's a duo of a bassist and a drummer and the bassist does a lot of live looping. His gear has been changing frequently, but he plays an old Carvin bass/guitar doubleneck. He also plays a bass VI-like bass and also does looping.

Its weird indie music and their claim to fame was making the soundtrack for the documentary on Helvetica (yes, the font).

I do want a doubleneck bass/guitar because I really like live looping and it's pretty great to not have to change instruments. I've had wild ideas of building stereo signal paths and controlling a flexible looper. Nothing has materialized and I have since bought an electric banjo (which I have recently modified, and probably should belong in the thread) because I apparently have been dropped on my head.

Also I like scalloped necks. To be fair, the only one I've played is a Yamaha Billy Sheehan signature bass where only the highest 5 frets are scalloped. Still, I'll post my parts bass that's almost done. It's a G&L tribute bass neck and cheap, b-stock components, so I have a lot of very poor routing and some dremel scallops. I'm not sure how it'll finally work out, but this bass is definitely about the journey of piecing it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Verizian posted:

http://szymonkaliski.com/projects/loop-pi/

Something like that crossed with a sampler and outputs for rugged foot switches would be awesome. Record multiple tracks to SD card and trigger with foot switches. Bonus points if you can record a live loop then have triggers on a drumkit play the sample. Raspi is limited to a small number of tracks due to the low power hardware but you could save more than that to SD card and only have so many loaded for playback at one time. In theory.

Or you could go hog wild with an arduino based midi controller and just plug it into a laptop running a DAW, then trigger recording to new tracks or playback of existing ones as you please.

Oh I have an EHX 45000 looper and a Keith Mcmillen soft step. All looper have weird limitations and the EHX's problem is that all loops have to be same length. That said 4 independent loops that can be quantized to a MIDI clock was the big pro for the unit. That way I can get my synths synced up.

My current ideal is just a computer running Ableton Live with something like Amplitube. That's probably the most flexible option out there especially if you set it up to also sequence synths, but it requires a super low latency, which I currently don't have the setup for.

Plus it's every kid's dream to play live with a laptop. Just imagine I posted that gif of Skrillex smashing his Mac book.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ziWYIX5r4Y

Video of Skrillex and Deadmau5 smashing laptops on stage. I couldn't find the gif of it, but I'm happy to give up searching.

Next level is stabbing the screen with your headstock while it runs amplitube.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Steinbergers are awesome and dumb at the same time. Ned Steinberger was literally a furniture maker before he started designing basses with Stuart Spector. He didn't play at all and was just confused that people would subject themselves to non ergonomic stuff.

Its awesome because it makes so much sense, but stupid because people are just confused if you walk out on stage with one. That said, I've looked into the bass/guitar doubleneck Spirit model before...

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
It's ok, we'll relic this one.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

s.i.r.e. posted:

What was that guitar that had the special pick-ups and knob set-up that would "tune" your guitar via computer repitching the individual strings?

Obviously you'd want the Auto-Tune Guitar.

PS I purposely put the official website that is stating its end of support for a guitar.

But you're probably thinking of the Line6 Variax stuff, which I've only heard of Adrian Belew putting the guts of one into his signature Parker Fly guitar.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

CheesyDog posted:

The biggest disruption is that there are some great guitars for less than $500 now

But the self cannibalization of guitar market isn't new. See Fender and their Squire line starting off in Japan, gaining a reputation, then rebranding to Fender and moving Squire to Korea or Indonesia.

We really are living in a pretty good time to play guitar. In 1965 you can go down to your local Sears & Roebuck and buy a Japanese made Harmony / Kay / Tiesco guitar for $65...which has the same buying power of ~$500 today. And if you have played one of those 60's guitars you know that $500 goes a LOT further today.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

woodch posted:

Relevant hearing-loss-related interview with Paul Gilbert (time stamp is where he starts getting into it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVO1pv5Vf5w&t=747s

Thanks for the video. I really dig Paul Gilbert and I work everyday with people who have hearing loss. People don't prioritize their hearing and they end up struggling to have a simple conversation (in the video Paul cupped his hand to his ear when the interviewer was talking). Also in his little YouTube series you can see that he's wearing hearing aids.

Living fast and dying young is sexy, but if you make it out alive, it ain't.

And I guarantee you no matter what kind of ear plugs those guys in the Sunn band have, they're getting massive hearing loss. So if you've attended one of their shows and are experiencing hearing loss, please call know and we can starting a class action lawsuit against them that will net you $3.07 towards hearing aids

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Spanish Manlove posted:

FYI if you guys have a decent medical school nearby you can sign up for a free hearing test by volunteering to be a test subject for research projects.

I'm honestly surprised at the results because I thought I've obliterated my ears over the years from music and work but apparently my adamant necessity to use earplugs has paid off.

Yeah, that's well in the normal range. Also note that test retest reliability is +/- 5 dB. So if you do a hearing assessment don't scamper off to your EQ and try to match it. Nevermind that it's a test of threshold (the softest you can hear) and most people don't listen to music at the level of threshold and hearing scales in intensity/volume weirdly.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Dr. Faustus posted:

Bassists, on the other hand, especially if they played 5-strings, would object that the loss in string tension created rubbery. badly intonated tones. They weren't wrong, but I would counter that they could do like I do and just go up a string gauge. Some were ok with that, some not.

I played with a singer/songwriter who started dropping everything a half-step. I have been with him for a while before making the switch. I couldn't transpose on the fly that easily since muscle memory would kick in and I'd be a lovely semi-tone off. So for that instance I de-tuned a half step.

Typically I just let the guitar be whatever tuning it needs to be and just transpose as I play. I usually don't use a lot of open notes so it's pretty easy. I don't really understand why a 5 string player would have to de-tune though since the instrument has the range. Just for open notes?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
My favorite John Lennon-ism was when he was asked if he had Ringo Starr play drums on his solo album because he's the best drummer in the world. Lennon laughed and said that Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

That said, Ringo was the Beatle that was on more Beatles recordings than any other. I think a large part of it is personality. There's an ok documentary on Netflix about session musicians (I think its called Sidemen?) and it has a part where Rob Zombie was talking about how small the pool of great musicians with great personalities is.

As for the topic of people choosing to be ignorant about technique or theory, there's a difference between what one plays (cool song/sick riff/sweet scales), how one plays it (technique), and why (theory). Some people just do what they want and get the minimum technique to do it to a fulfilling degree. Some people don't question it. And this is all good, but being proficient in how or why doesn't change the what.

Although I did just express an everyone is right to enjoy their musical hobby their own way feeling, my personal pet peeve is when a person wants to record a song with others and cannot play to a metronome. Losing your sense of rhythm because a box is chirping at you bothers the hell out of me.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH1j06bMHDQ

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I was just trying to applaud him for his bold stance on an arbitrary classification.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The obvious solution is a headless guitar with double ball end strings.

It just makes the most sense. It offers simple and stable design options. And now there are more access to strings to satiate different tastes. So you can adjust the tension based on the preferred scale length. String changes would only take a minute or so with no clipping strings.

I mean look at a headless guitar and tell me where it is over designed?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Philthy posted:

Makes me feel bad for bass players. Your tone don't mean poo poo. Use this and still get mixed so you can't be heard.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The only tube driven pickup in the world, unless you just plug in to a tube amplifier.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Westone's TRU has non-custom and custom plugs that have filters of varying strength that can be used to attenuate more or less depending on the situation. Generally they're pretty flat response.

Westone is an earmold shop (there are a bunch of others) so they also make ones that accept Etymotic filters. Its basically the same thing as the TRU, but I suspect Westone figured out how to make them and just wanted to make them in house rather than buying them from Etymotic.

Etymotic has universal fit ones that have a 15 dB filter on them and they work fairly well.

In ear monitors are another can of worms since you have to figure out how to route the sound to them in a gigging situation. And really if you're in anything but a pro gigging environment, the musician plugs are much more simple to use.

Hearing loss sucks, and there's no reason to resign yourself to acquiring noise induced hearing loss.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Its derogatory in the US too. I remember there being a thread on TalkBass about how Japanese instruments should not be referred to by such terms. There was resistance to this.

Edit: Here's the thread in 2003 where they apparently did a search and replace to "MIJ" hence the strange thread title: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/please-people-mij-is-not-a-nice-word.75014/

Rifter17 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 7, 2019

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Isn’t Berklee just a series of classes that prepare you for being homeless and in between you practice your instrument?

To be fair, most colleges don't prepare you to be homeless.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The last time I was on TalkBass they cycled from extended range crazy wood tops to anything other than a pre-CBS Fender is a joke. It would be fascinating to see trends as they correlate to the recession.

I realize that I have a very strange collection of instruments. I do admit that its more of a collection at this point, but it makes me happy. Some of my highlights include:
Any one else have a wacky collection?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I am not a fan of black guitars. You're going on to a raised platform to perform songs where people are hopefully looking in your general direction and lights shining on you, then you choose a guitar that blends in with the background? I also feel the same way about sunburst guitars that fade to black on the edges and basically obscure the shape of the instrument. I feel like I've said it before, but if I'm going through all this trouble to be obnoxious to the ears, I might as well also be obnoxious to the eyes.

I also do have a weird dream of buying this guitar and this bass and bolting them together into a doubleneck.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

IIRC, the details I heard about that wasn't that bass frequencies were more 'powerful', but they have longer wavelengths (true) and therefore push more air (also true) which means that the speaker cones move more and hence can be damaged if they move too much, which I'm guessing is not actually true, at least in this case.

Frequency is only the rate in which a speaker cone will travel. There's no extra air pushed or the cones moving more. If a speaker is being driven to go +/- x depth, it shouldn't matter at what frequency. And it would be strange to think that a slower rate would cause damage.

What really happens is that at equal intensity, the human hearing system can't hear bass frequencies as well as other frequency ranges. So to have equivalent perceptual volume, you have to increase the intensity and you are then moving the speaker at a greater depth.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Basically. You need to have a system that would be able to produce greater output to maintain similar perceptual volume.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Spanish Manlove posted:

These guys are big dog fancy rich dudes from UCSF and have regular access to MRIs and I'm just a lowly brain electrician, so it was a fun interaction (they seemed very pompous)

I was going to ask if it was Charles Lin at UCSF and lo and behold. My friend said that he is cool at least.

A lot of his interests lie in making people who have hearing loss be able to perceive and enjoy music. So they've been doing stuff like using MRIs to determine exact electrode depth placement.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Yeah the Music Man guitar was doomed to instant failure since it was available in one of their less cool looking bodies and was never expanded upon. I think it would have been cool if it could send and transmit CC data so you can control other MIDI gear with it, but that wasn't in the cards.

If you have a two pickup guitar, just run a stereo Y cable from it, and then plug that into a loop switcher thingie that accepts MIDI. You wouldn't be able to do coil taps, but that's a much, much cheaper and accessible solution.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I would probably set it up with a switch that either sends the pickups direct to a TRS jack or passes the signal through to onboard electronics. That way you can use a normal setup too.

Then use a stereo Y cable that then goes to something like a Voodoo Labs GCX switcher. You can use some cables that would then change the phase if you want too. You would lose any onboard controls. But you could then route the signal into a Source Audio EQ pedal. That will let you do any volume shifts and tone shaping as well.

I thought too much about this because I have a Yamaha Attitude bass that has separate outputs for each pickup.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Slothful Bong posted:

If my band actually played to a click (or I was touring with my solo stuff), I’d do this for everything. It may piss off pedaldancing purists (“i spent five years learning how to dance across two dozen pedals every night, this is cheating!”), but it allows for clear focus on the performance, instead of the tech side.

Bands with guitar techs often have them at the side of the stage and they just press the on/off switches during shows. Plus there are those Bradshaw rigs that use effects loops.

I'm on my phone, but there's a video series of the keyboardist for St. Vincent and he goes over all of the automation he set up within ableton. He shows how he sets up click tracks, sets BPMs, automates presets on keyboards. It's nerdy, but it just shows that it is easily attainable.

The hardest part is finding a musician who can play to a click.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I just want to chime in about basses that have a huge bass clef inlayed on the fretboard or on the body or as a sound hole. People are still going to come up to you and say "nice guitar" because who would recognize a bass clef, but not a bass guitar?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

BonHair posted:

The classic minimalist headless would work for an I too I think.

I think that's what I'll call my guitar: "flying I"

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I actually find it to be comfortable. I obviously need to always play it with a strap. I like the lack of leg rest since it sits lower on the lap, which is similar to the height I have when playing while standing up. The knobs are annoying since it's easy to turn them accidentally while playing. When I swapped out the pickups I bypassed the knobs.

I got it with a discount. If I were to replace it, I'd probable find a local luthier to make something similar. There are some cool luthiers in Southern California at least that will probably make something for a little bit more.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I saw the circle guitar videos a couple weeks ago and what he's doing is strumming all the strings with a rhythm set by pegs inserted into the circle. Then, he uses one hand to fret and the other to switch the hexaphonic pickup outputs on/off (buttons are momentary and switches will toggle output of each string).

So acoustically it's bashing away at all of the strings all of the time. At first I thought maybe he was toggling a mechanical lever to push up the pick/peg for certain strings, but I don't think that's the case.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
One of my professors works on doing high frequency DPOAEs (Distortion Product Otoacoustic Emissions) and she had to cobble together her own transducers and hack it all together. Her favorite piece of equipment runs on a computer that is older than many of her students.

TEOAEs (Transient Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions) are more like an impulse response though :pseudo:

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The fun thing about banjo spikes is that they're basically the same as model railroad spikes.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Frequency ain't pitch and pitch ain't frequency. They're correlated to each other, but there are little wrinkles. The psychoacoustic unit for pitch is a mel and you can condense the range of hearing (20-20,000 Hz) to about 3500 mels. Generally, our perception is proportional. And you can also generalize that our perception starts acting weird at our limits.

The relationship stops in the lower frequencies/pitches. I have another graph in a textbook that shows how getting to 20,000 Hz also plateaus a bit.

For fun music stuff, I have a Reverb alert for "prototype" and "unique." Prototypes usually yield $15,000 Gibsons that do not appear to be suggesting anything new. Sometimes you get werid stuff.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I know what you meant, but I keep picturing the ball end on the tuner and a nylon like knot at the end of a tune-o-matic tailpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
If you have $15k laying around, you can get a Birdfish guitar. The cylinders parallel to the neck are under tension from the neck to the bridge and can be swapped. This is more of a body tone wood replacement though.