Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Rifter17 posted:

The only band I can think of that uses a doubleneck is El Ten Eleven. It's a duo of a bassist and a drummer and the bassist does a lot of live looping. His gear has been changing frequently, but he plays an old Carvin bass/guitar doubleneck. He also plays a bass VI-like bass and also does looping.

Its weird indie music and their claim to fame was making the soundtrack for the documentary on Helvetica (yes, the font).

I do want a doubleneck bass/guitar because I really like live looping and it's pretty great to not have to change instruments. I've had wild ideas of building stereo signal paths and controlling a flexible looper. Nothing has materialized and I have since bought an electric banjo (which I have recently modified, and probably should belong in the thread) because I apparently have been dropped on my head.

Also I like scalloped necks. To be fair, the only one I've played is a Yamaha Billy Sheehan signature bass where only the highest 5 frets are scalloped. Still, I'll post my parts bass that's almost done. It's a G&L tribute bass neck and cheap, b-stock components, so I have a lot of very poor routing and some dremel scallops. I'm not sure how it'll finally work out, but this bass is definitely about the journey of piecing it together.

http://szymonkaliski.com/projects/loop-pi/

Something like that crossed with a sampler and outputs for rugged foot switches would be awesome. Record multiple tracks to SD card and trigger with foot switches. Bonus points if you can record a live loop then have triggers on a drumkit play the sample. Raspi is limited to a small number of tracks due to the low power hardware but you could save more than that to SD card and only have so many loaded for playback at one time. In theory.

Or you could go hog wild with an arduino based midi controller and just plug it into a laptop running a DAW, then trigger recording to new tracks or playback of existing ones as you please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
That really needs a grip hole.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The AT200 autotune stuff is basically just a piezo midi pickup in the bridge saddles and some software. You can diy that and use it with rocksmith but there's the quick and lovely way that sounds horrible and the expensive way which impacts performance and may require virtual cables or real cables hooked to an audio interface.

Can't remember the free software I found that would work but basically anything that turns a midi signal into a passable dry guitar tone. Mic mode on rocksmith will probably work better nowadays, that way you can use VB audio cable to "listen" to the ASIO output final track from a DAW and send it to a virtual recording device set as your primary mic in windows and Rocksmith. Even after all that it won't sound as good as just using a digitech whammy or other high end pitchshifter pedal.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I saw a couple videos that said the non signature version can do a really soft crunch well but the Hinds model goes from insane crunch "all the way to fart town at the far end" because that was the response curve he's used to. Two different videos and both of them included that phrase followed by awkward laughter as if they were contractually obligated to say fart town.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
A neon green acoustic is only cool if it's played by a 90's guitarist fresh out of rehab and going on Unplugged. Even then only if they freshly spraypainted a beater from the pawn shop.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
An extremely stupid music poo poo thing is all the drunk conspiracy theories around Buckethead, like he was really Slash when he played with GnR, or that he's really Peter Steele who faked his death when he finally grew out of his goth phase.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
That reminds me. I've been thinking of doing this with a dremel snake and bench clamp at some point. Also carving out some extra thick picks because I'm in love with the pack of 2.5mm bone jazz picks I bought a while back but would prefer something even thicker with a bit of a thumb bevel for comfort. It's still stupid music poo poo because it will make everything smell like bone for ages after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_PCOfOyh-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlqFaGtEevM

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

KozmoNaut posted:

Replace all of that poo poo with an HM-2 and a DS-1.

Done.

That's not how you spell SF300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBib5SBjI1I

Not the greatest fuzz ever but considering you can pick up a sealed, new one for £10 from any number of ebay sellers it's a must have pedal. Hell if you're worried about breaking the lovely behringer plastic case just rip the guts out and stick it in a better one or buy an armful and swap them out as they break because it's gonna be at least £50 to find another fuzz that's as good as this one.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Sometimes even broken FZ-2's sell for £50+ because people buy them and swap the innards with the SF300 or custom parts then relist it as "modded" for the much higher price.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You can also jam the mode switch between positions one and two to get the ultimate fuzz sound that mixes a mid scoop and mid boost tone with near flawless layering of harmonics.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Wait that was posted on March 30th, does that mean it's not an april fools joke?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Is it available in blackened nickel?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Pondex posted:

It's an old old japanese SG-copy. It has a bigsby mounted on top of the old tailpiece-posts so it's a bit hard to measure. But they're definitely closer together than a regular TOM tailpiece. About the same distance apart as the bridge-posts.

I'd guess metric vs imperial or if the bridge posts are spaced differently as well then it could be due to the bridge radius. A quick google shows TOM and bigsby style post spacing anywhere from 72mm to 95.7mm depending on manufacturer and model.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

NonzeroCircle posted:

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/tronical-sues-gibson-for-50-million

Man, they'll have to sell nearly a dozen guitars to cover that.

There's a lot of hate for these robo tuners but I love the one I picked up heavily discounted for my B stock epi SG. They should never have been on a high end instrument though and the models fitted to Gibson guitars are notoriously unfit for purpose due to cost cutting on vital components.

Fun fact, if you try tuning a muted guitar with one of these it takes fractionally longer and is less accurate than if you tune with a clean amp on. Distortion and loud background noise can cause issues though if the headstock picks up a sympathetic vibration that's not the string's fundamental. It's an inherent design flaw that could only be fixed by switching to a headless system and a tuner that uses the signal instead of vibrations in the wood like a clip on tuner.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
One of the problems with the new APC stuff is Howerdel wrote a lot of it while learning how to play keys and attempted to avoid everything that made him comfortable playing guitar. It's competent music but there's no solid hook or riffs so it rests entirely on melody and lyricism. Meanwhile all the good APC poo poo has some form of riff that feels circular, I thought that was like their gimmick for a long time.

Compare 3 Libras to So Long and Thanks for All the Fish. Neither really focuses on aggressive guitars and both are very melody driven songs but 3 Libras starts off with a solid rhythmic hook while "I too read Douglas Adams!" begins with with an asymmetrical melody that lacks impact. Finally when the distorted guitars kick in for both songs, 3 Libras cuts through the mix with a tight focus while So Long feels more scooped and compressed while every other instrument buries the guitars.
There's a live youtube video where they play it with more mids in the guitars and it sounds a lot better but it still lacks the same impact as their older riffs and hooks.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
My old guitar tutor's main instrument had a blank fretboard. Absolute nightmare as a beginner figuring out what note he was playing. Especially as he always mutes the other strings with spare fingers curved in a similar way to the ones that are pressing the strings down so you've got four choices even when he's not doing a three string barre with his index, or is it just muting with the edge of his finger?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Ever been tempted to get some stick on felt and give all the skulls tiny moustaches?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The Squier VM VI is more accurate to the original 60's version compared to the Japanese Fender but QA can be iffy. Out of the box they usually come with flash lines on the binding, a lovely nut, the wrong bridge, and a cheap vibrato tailpiece. You can however pick up a full fat Fender Jag import tailpiece, a new bridge from Mastery or Staytrem depending on taste, a new nut, and the flash trims up easy on the binding with a needle file or razor. Still works out cheaper than the Fender version even if you pay a luthier to do everything for you.

If you're going to buy La Bella strings use the custom set builder, it works out a lot cheaper though I have had problems with them sending the wrong scale length E string a few times so the windings stopped before the nut, they used to send out a replacement set no questions asked but the second time it happened they got all huffy and said "You need to specify the correct model and scale length when ordering" Which I did and it even showed up on the confirmation email.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Craigslist really needs a comments section.

Also I bought Bias Amp and Bias FX for PC and the only model I play after 30 hours tweaking settings down to swapping power transformer models to biasing the tubes is based on the SLO100. Got it perfect for every situation, with one patch for clean, one for crunch, and one for layered fuzz and distortion. Only thing missing is a way to pipe it out to a proper guitar cabinet.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Avoid the Edge III. It works fine at first but one misstep and the knife edge pivots just crumple like butter and you can't just drop in a new trem without spending hundreds.

Other edge trems are better as you can replace the knife edges. Setup is a balancing act between the springs in the back and the strings in the front and the challenge is getting all 6 strings balanced while in tune, as the springs are essentially offering even pressure on the back you're really balancing tension from the low strings to the high ones, so always restring and tune in the order 6-1-5-2-4-3. Once you get the lowest and highest strings balanced you'll have fewer problems.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The best Devin video is the one where he covers for tech issues for 15 minutes with pure stage presence and charisma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYQmUNzkYAQ

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So where does the Bass VI fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So you want six identical gauge strings, on a normal guitar tuned to E standard? Do you prefer rigid, unplayable strings that could snap, damage your guitar, and likely hurt to fret or do you want floppy as poo poo strings that feel like damp noodles? Cause you potentially get both.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 26, 2019