Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere
It's funny with lefty gear as you usually pay over the odds, but now and again you get a bargain on stock that wouldn't sell. Got a great deal on a Taylor 12 string, I don't often play it though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

nurmie posted:

got recommended a video by the notorious guitar master Music Is Win where he reacts to a WatchMojo list of songs that are hardest to play on the guitar. figured, what the hell, i haven't really watched his content beyond That One Horrible Song, maybe he's alright. couldn't go past the first song of the list :smith:

it's This Charming Man by The Smiths. not only he apparently has never heard of it (which is fine, but a bit odd coming from a Guitar Guy), he for some reason decides to figure it out by ear. then, he proceeds to absolutely loving butcher the guitar part live on camera (i guess to show off his skills or something). then he says "done :smug:"

the whole experience made me feel things i didn't necessarily want to feel, which is why i'm sharing it here. i'm sorry :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ4XyRpTACg&t=155s

Wow, it's like if the Smith's were a Ska Punk band. Guess he has no ear for that kind of playing.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere
Wow, the Neural Amp Modeller is pretty impressive! Spent all afternoon playing with it. Being able to switch from a Vox to Mesa Boogie IV is awesome!

I've always struggled with latency so have shied away from amp sims, do people manage to use a 128 buffer, i.e. 8ms of delay? I struggle with lower than 256 which is about 14ms total.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

rickiep00h posted:

My favorite thing about music is finding groups of technically proficient and emotive musicians who I genuinely like, but make terrible music together. My go-to example here is Dave Matthews Band. A bunch of great musicians who make music I hate. Which is where a lot of shred tends to end up. I love Steve Vai, but I can only listen for so long before I want to to see, hear, or do something else.

Ability does not correlate to good music in any meaningful direction. And that's why it rules. And is stupid.

My wife used to listen to Radio Paradise, and now and again they'd play a song that I felt was amongst the worst music I'd ever heard.

Sounded like Sting's solo work, but even more muso. It was always the Dave Matthews Band.

Then it would go back to Mark Knopfler and Crowded House.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If you can, find a guitar social media space that is more lgbtq+. Far less of that bullshit. Sort of, like, zero poo poo like that, actually.

Be interested in hearing any recommendations. Seems if it's not guitar lawyers, it's edgelord kids in the heavier forums.