Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
first episode was okay, but after how the second one ended i am hooked. these gems have no sense of danger because they are immortal and indestructible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i can understand why Bort was mad at Dia, they almost got themself killed by trying the fancy arrow deflecting thing instead of just slicing the main target to bits

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Some stuff

https://twitter.com/pr_magi/status/919862899518062592

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I wanna find some nail polish in Phos' colour. :3:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The_White_Crane posted:

Bad idea, you may be abducted by a moon monster.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

The_White_Crane posted:

This is what the moon people said before sending their soldiers down in episode 1.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:siren: moon person spotted:siren:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

https://superblacklacquers.com/collections/super-black-lacquers/products/the-whale

They used to advertise on here all the time.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Alas, they don't ship to the UK. I see all sorts of gorgeous polish online that can't be had outside of America. :sigh:

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
So it appears their swords are also made of some sort of gem? How's that work?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Amstrad posted:

Looks like flint to me, by the way it chips..

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Amstrad posted:

How do their bodies work?

*shrugs*

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read a very tiny portion of the manga since that cliffhanger ending was killing me and learned a thing about the swords, don't read this if you don't want spoilers about future characters I guess:

There is a gem who is a blacksmith; they make the swords.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

ViggyNash posted:

How do their bodies work?

*shrugs*

Microbes.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
EDIT: yeah ok

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 21, 2017

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Let's not have the thread devolve into this coy hinting.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That is some severe lordosis going on. I guess they don't have spines though so whatever.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Sucks to be Phos.

I'm feeling existentially confused by the resolution to episode 3 though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I enjoy how readily everyone believed Phos turned into a snail.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This was a beautiful episode.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Sindai posted:

I enjoy how readily everyone believed Phos turned into a snail.

:same:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Man, this show is actually gorgeous. This is the nicest-looking 3D anime I've ever watched. They're not using it to approximate 2D, they're using it to its fullest extent to make the movement super fluid and expressive all the time. It looks great.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Man, this show is actually gorgeous. This is the nicest-looking 3D anime I've ever watched. They're not using it to approximate 2D, they're using it to its fullest extent to make the movement super fluid and expressive all the time. It looks great.

Right? The running scene was fantastic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if they will ever address the ship of Theseus question here, or whether they are individual entities or some collective consciousness of the microorganisms that construct them. It was said in the first episode that they lose some memories when parts of them are permanently altered.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

that's what happens when you hand a project over to experienced staff who work with 3dcg on a daily basis and know how to direct it, instead of a guy who has never once worked with 3d in his life but animated several seasons of teekyuu

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Colonel posted:

that's what happens when you hand a project over to experienced staff who work with 3dcg on a daily basis and know how to direct it, instead of a guy who has never once worked with 3d in his life but animated several seasons of teekyuu

Imagine if Berserk had been managed with this level of competency...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"How comforting to be a slug, among the dandelions so snug—”

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

God drat, look at Diamond go :aaa:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

The Colonel posted:

It was a bit jarring in the first seconds of episode 1 with the grass, and then it all clicked together.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The preview of the snail landing on the Master's head was perfect

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oooh man I've been evangelizing this series in the seinen thread for so long and it's great it turned out so well. I was wondering how they were going to translate the ethereal art and stuff to a CG style but drat they pulled it off. Also the music gives me huge Breath of the Wild vibes, which is Good.

I'm psyched.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 22, 2017

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
This show made me want to have sick rear end gem hair so they are very clearly doing something right.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The GIG posted:

This show made me want to have sick rear end gem hair so they are very clearly doing something right.

Just replace your scalp with a mesh of LED embedded fiber-optic cables.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Oh my god that episode was incredible. All the little action scenes were extremely cool, the snail was really cute and funny, and all the scenes where Diamond talks to Phos snail but it's really about herself was great. The ending ruled too. I think the snail is like half Phos now or something?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite scene was when the snail started eating grass and diamond demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of biology. which is fair, since they are only very tenuously biological lifeforms themselves. i've also noticed that the gem people are almost completely lacking in curiosity, with the exception of cinnabar who really has nothing else to do aside from observe nature.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://streamable.com/q93ug

:swoon:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
That was a good episode.
I look forward to the further adventures of Phos+Slugbuddy.

Also, did anyone else notice that a bunch of people referred to Phos as "them", except right at the end, when Dia said "you know how to bring her back, right?" Can any Japanese speakers say if that was reflecting an actual difference in the spoken dialogue?

Also also:

It looks a little greener IRL than in that photo, actually.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The_White_Crane posted:

That was a good episode.

Also, did anyone else notice that a bunch of people referred to Phos as "them", except right at the end, when Dia said "you know how to bring her back, right?" Can any Japanese speakers say if that was reflecting an actual difference in the spoken dialogue?

Also also:

It looks a little greener IRL than in that photo, actually.

Step 2: replace hair with precious gems

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

This?

No the word "her" isn't in the Japanese, there isn't actually any pronoun in the sentence referring to Phos. However there is one referring to Bort, and that's the alpha-masculine "ore". (Most of the other gems use "boku" to refer to themselves, technically also masculine.) The sentence structure is like: "I know a way to bring back [implied subject Phos]," don't you mean?

It does look like Phos and the snail had some two-way transfer of consciousness and memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

That was a good episode.

The sentence in that scene was "俺は戻す方法を知っている" which is, without any context given, "I know the method to return(the thing)". The them used is also just a general "that guy/girl" or sometimes translated as "that bastard"(see early fansubs).
If you're asking about how the pronouns are used, they always use male pronouns. In the manga, there are cases where they'll use "彼" which is guy, though you shouldn't take that literally. They also use the masculine form for siblings, but that's common in any gendered language. It's basically like when the Spanish pronouns for neutral gender default to male, like hermanos meaning brothers and sisters.

Make no mistake though, they are genderless gems, it's just that English doesn't really have that many gender neutral pronouns so it's hard to get that across naturally/

• Locked thread