Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like this show, especially that cute lil' snail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo, this show is pretty. I'm gonna have to read the manga now.

:syoon:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eela6 posted:

I like this show, especially that cute lil' snail.

biggest rivals in anime

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Man, this show is actually gorgeous. This is the nicest-looking 3D anime I've ever watched. They're not using it to approximate 2D, they're using it to its fullest extent to make the movement super fluid and expressive all the time. It looks great.

I wish more studios would learn from this and Majestic Prince's mecha CGI.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Finally got around to watching this.

Bort is certainly ... abrasive :smug:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that bort acts super aggressive and constantly tells dia that phos is useless and that they would kick phos' rear end, and then the moment dia runs up and really excitedly tells them that they're going to save phos they're just like "o-oh, i mean, i guess, that's cool"

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Every gem's love-hate relationship with Phos is the best.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

nielsm posted:

Postal Parcel posted:

Thank you both.
I wonder why the sub team made that one 'her' when they used 'them' for the others. Could just be a mistake, I guess. *shrugs*

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

The_White_Crane posted:

Thank you both.
I wonder why the sub team made that one 'her' when they used 'them' for the others. Could just be a mistake, I guess. *shrugs*

Amazon has not exactly been free of mistakes, especially this season. See "Land of the Lustruous" and the word salad subtitles in Washio Sumi.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got to thinking about the character design in this series. It's interesting to note that the grand majority of the gendered characteristics we see are tertiary, in the sense that their bodies don't actually have a sex - the only things moving them "one way or the other" (to be binarist) are their clothes, hairdos, and voices. These are all things that they've applied to themselves or have been applied by the reader/author. These don't seem to have any particular connotation to the characters themselves, though, and it's the observer that says "this one has long-ish hair, therefore that's a feminine hairstyle, therefore female". I wonder if this was intentional, or an artifact of the author's personal tastes.

I've still generally seen people default to female pronouns when describing these characters on first encountering them - even though said characters use male or agender/nonbinary pronouns in describing themselves and others. I wonder why people gravitate in this direction? Is it their body type, which doesn't resemble the masculine ideal or its common perception? Is it their clothes somehow, even though it's intentionally ambiguous with the combination of dress shirts, shorts, and heels? Or is it their voices, given that they're all voiced by women? How do people interpret the gems when first encountering them in the manga, as opposed to the anime?

This is an interesting study in how people gender characters given particular clues and traits, or lack thereof.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It's their butts

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nice butts don’t really have a gender tho

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Try reading the manga, the translators have no idea what they're doing and will use he and she in the same sentence. From what I understand, the official one specifically goes for they/them when necessary and tries to not use pronouns as much as possible.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AP actually within the last year or so said that singular they is 100% acceptable. It's part of the language now, and I don't know why people don't use it more.

in before SJWs :byodood:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Nice butts don’t really have a gender tho

The hip/waist ratio does though, they have extremely feminine body types. Add in the voices and hair and people defaulting to calling them by female pronouns makes a lot of sense. For instance Diamond is one of the most feminine characters in anything I'm watching this season, not female, but definitely feminine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The hip/waist ratio does though, they have extremely feminine body types. Add in the voices and hair and people defaulting to calling them by female pronouns makes a lot of sense. For instance Diamond is one of the most feminine characters in anything I'm watching this season, not female, but definitely feminine.

Hmm, yeah, I think you’re right. There’s basically one body type for all the gems, and they’re lithe, hippy, and fair. That’s the deciding factor I think, that body type has zero association with men (more specifically, with the effects of testosterone) and is almost universally taken as feminine.

I’ll be honest, it’s really hard to see male pronouns being used for these characters. I understand they use ore and boku, but while those are strongly associated with men in Japanese, they’re not exclusively male, just masculine. I wonder if the text is being translated properly...I’d have to see the raws and analyze the speech patterns. There’s the question of “brothers” and “niichan” and all that stuff too, which makes me curious how it’s used.

Either way, I’m pretty solidly in the they/their/them camp for pronouns.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Both the anime and manga are reminding me of Knights of Sidonia for some reason (The CGI? impersonal humanoid bad guys popping in to fight occasionally?).

I've now read to the latest chapter for this series and they're going hard on the Ship of Theseus stuff. Someone gets their head replaced!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I was gonna bring up Knights of Sidonia too, because Izana uses male pronouns (most of the time?) but has a female VA.

I think Izana even switches pronouns for a little bit at some point. I think it might have been in the dresses episode? Then switches back once Tanikaze is around.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

iospace posted:

AP actually within the last year or so said that singular they is 100% acceptable. It's part of the language now, and I don't know why people don't use it more.

in before SJWs :byodood:

Singular they has been part of the language since loving Shakespeare; it's only relatively recently that it was considered improper.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Wide hips, women VAs, I watched a lot of Steven Universe, pick any of the 3

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about using he/him pronouns for robots like in Transformers? Is that wrong?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
booty is not gender-exclusive

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about using he/him pronouns for robots like in Transformers? Is that wrong?

Robots in Transformers actually identify as a gender though (Arcee, Blackarachnia, etc), while gems probably don't know what a gender is. I'd say wait for next episode so everyone has slightly more grounds for this argument though, since it'll have stuff to ponder about.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Or just use "they" because they don't have genders? Why is this so hard?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Everything Burrito posted:

booty is not gender-exclusive

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

They're rocks, likely with no concept of gender. That it may appear in their language is just anachronism or translation.

I cite Vaarsuvius from Order of the Stick: V gets referred to as both he or she by various characters, by entirely their own interpretation or perception. The elves just don't care, because their language has such constructs as 'other parent' rather than father or mother, a hint that gender does not factor into their language or culture.

Agency is the social currency. You want it when you have little, and you should pay it out when you have a lot. It's a matter of agency to define one's own pronouns. Policing for someone else's pronouns is not giving them agency (unless they asked you to), in fact it's probably taking away their agency that they can't just let it slide.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Ranzear posted:

Booty is the social currency. You want it when you have little, and you should pay it out when you have a lot.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Jesus Christ, Marie, they're minerals!

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Wow, three episodes in and people are starting to put together cosplay items.

Check out this Phos wig

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Try reading the manga, the translators have no idea what they're doing and will use he and she in the same sentence. From what I understand, the official one specifically goes for they/them when necessary and tries to not use pronouns as much as possible.

The official translation uses they/them and identifiers like "that Gem" mostly.

I wonder how far the anime is going to get. The first three episodes covered 6 chapters.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 24, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Yak of Wrath posted:

Wow, three episodes in and people are starting to put together cosplay items.

Check out this Phos wig

Oh wow, that rocks! :iamafag:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Whether or not the characters themselves have an inherent gender, their design is obviously generic moe fare. I also don't think it's that much of a problem because the show doesn't seem to take itself all that seriously. It's a dumb and pretty show about rock-girls.

But I still hate Phos. Maybe now that there's something only she can do, she'll be a more interesting character.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are so many things wrong with that entire statement i'm not really sure where to start

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, they're not rocks, they're minerals.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

mods change my name to generic moe fare

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel posted:

there are so many things wrong with that entire statement i'm not really sure where to start

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
seriously just ignoring anything about the character designs how the gently caress in the three episodes we have gotten do you come away with the impression that the show doesn't take itself that seriously and is just a "dumb and pretty" show

have you missed the three entire episodes centering around people's depression and feelings of uselessness in a society centering around every person having some sort of utility. it's got lots of goofy and lighthearted character interaction but like the stuff the story is centering around is pretty goddamn personal

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
And to not ignore the thing about the character designs they're pretty unique and hardly generic.

It's ok to not like the show but I'm not sure from that statement that you even watched it.

they aren't even girls

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 24, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ViggyNash posted:

Whether or not the characters themselves have an inherent gender, their design is obviously generic moe fare. I also don't think it's that much of a problem because the show doesn't seem to take itself all that seriously. It's a dumb and pretty show about rock-girls.

But I still hate Phos. Maybe now that there's something only she can do, she'll be a more interesting character.

Having caught up with the entire series, I can tell you that you should not be concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like Phos. She's like a little kid.

The whole

"give me something to do!!"
"ok"
"I'm bored, I don't want to do my job"

Thing makes me think of my niece and nephew (they are very cute, but definitely have genders)

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 24, 2017

• Locked thread