Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

:perfect:

I love the fact that they seem to have deliberately mismatched the hair and seiyuu so that there're plenty of gems with more feminine hairstyles and more masculine voices.
I think the only exception I noticed was Dia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I wanna find some nail polish in Phos' colour. :3:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Alas, they don't ship to the UK. I see all sorts of gorgeous polish online that can't be had outside of America. :sigh:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Amstrad posted:

So it appears their swords are also made of some sort of gem? How's that work?

Looks like flint to me, by the way it chips..

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
That was a good episode.
I look forward to the further adventures of Phos+Slugbuddy.

Also, did anyone else notice that a bunch of people referred to Phos as "them", except right at the end, when Dia said "you know how to bring her back, right?" Can any Japanese speakers say if that was reflecting an actual difference in the spoken dialogue?

Also also:

It looks a little greener IRL than in that photo, actually.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

nielsm posted:

Postal Parcel posted:

Thank you both.
I wonder why the sub team made that one 'her' when they used 'them' for the others. Could just be a mistake, I guess. *shrugs*

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

iospace posted:

AP actually within the last year or so said that singular they is 100% acceptable. It's part of the language now, and I don't know why people don't use it more.

in before SJWs :byodood:

Singular they has been part of the language since loving Shakespeare; it's only relatively recently that it was considered improper.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Yak of Wrath posted:

Wow, three episodes in and people are starting to put together cosplay items.

Check out this Phos wig

Oh wow, that rocks! :iamafag:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

The GIG posted:

Phos saw a titty for what might have been the first time in their life and immediately went "I heavily disagree".

Phos is an rear end person. :pervert:

That was a really unexpected turn though. I was saying to someone just the night before I watched it that this was one of the most "I have no loving clue where this is going" shows I'd ever seen. drat you, traitor snail-king!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

"One fact I learned that I found surprising was that the gems are actually wearing mourning clothes. It’s supposed to show how they treat life and death, which makes sense."

... what the hell kind of mourning clothes include short shorts?
I mean, I'm not complaining, but...

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

The GIG posted:

If my legs were as good as the rock people's I'd go to the grave showing off my gams gems.

FTFY.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Every time I watch the op Im blown away all over again. And Im the guy that skips even good ops after Ive seen it once. And the rest of the show looks basically as good the entire time. I really hope this show sets the standard for cg anime in the future because it puts every other attempt to shame.

I feel like it's cheating just a little, because it all has this slightly oversaturated dream-like look which lets them get away with a bit more on the lighting than they could if they were aiming for a more realistic tone.
But regardless, it's loving beautiful.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

rincewind101 posted:

so do you functionally kill a gem friend by smashing them to dust?

I would never do such a thing and use the resulting dust as a cosmetic product. *shifty eyes*

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Joshlemagne posted:

Yeah I mean the last episode where everyone dresses up in frilly dresses to sleep and the ice gem person wears stiletto heels made everyone saying how feminine they are look pretty stupid, huh?

That widely known bastion of femininity; I give you president Franklin D. Roosevelt!

... gee, it's almost like how clothing and gender relate to one another isn't a universal constant that's totally immutable or something.

On topic, the cover of one of the manga volumes spoiled something upcoming for me, and that is annoying. Don't go looking at the book deals if you don't want to risk that.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I wondered if they could just break off Phos' legs and arms, then re-powder and remix so they ended up with 50% of the agate in legs and 50% in arms.
They'd still be fast, just not super crazy fast, and then their arms would be strong enough to match.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

especially when the source material doesn't ostensibly deal much with portraying issues of LGBT it makes you look like a huge rear end in a top hat just bitching constantly over it.

fake edit: in response to anyone stupid enough to reply back telling me no you're wrong they're obviously genderless so it's obviously 100% an LGBT issue, no it isn't. Just because they're genderless doesn't mean anything, the role it plays in the story is purely on a broader question of what constitutes humanity, not any issues over he she it them whatever. Let people gender them however way they want as long as they understand the greater underlying plot of the show.

unless something happens later in the manga that brings this specific issue up to a prevalent level, it's foolish to constantly attack people for calling the gems female when they're voiced by women and are in general way more feminine in terms of both physical appearance and mannerisms.

cit: im gay

Okay, so the show doesn't explicitly deal with queer issues. Fine.

But it is one of a very small number of media which focus on explicitly non-binary characters. There's no good justification for assigning genders to the gems when all the media very carefully avoids doing so; so doing it makes it seem as though one is uncomfortable with the idea of people who aren't men or women. (I mean, they're voiced by women? So's Bart Simpson!)
It's emotionally important to people to see themselves represented in media and when you talk about one of the few pieces of media which represents them in a manner which paints over that representation, it's going to piss people off.

There's room for a whooole huge discussion about how reasonable it is for people to be pissed off by that, and for how much it means to people to see that sort of representation of themselves in media and all that jazz, but that's a gigantic :canofworms: that I don't want to open. But I think it's worth considering that while yes, constantly bitching about it is annoying, it would also be incredibly easy for people to just write "they" exactly as they do in the show and the books, and when they deliberately choose not to do that, that also seems pretty assholish.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 22, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

Going back to my original reply I'd like to rescind how assholish it sounded to completely dismiss that facet of the argument. To be honest it was more in response to how obnoxious dis was in how they were responding to other people and it reminded me too much of when I'd try attending LGBT groups in real life and seeing extremists completely shutting down anything positive said about heterosexual people like friends and family.

Fair enough. Believe me, I also dislike the weirdly militant "progressive" types (for gently caress's sake, you're not helping you're not the loving black panthers just shut up), but I do think there's a perfectly legitimate point to be made about how it looks when people deliberately remove from discourse an aspect of some media which is, if not explicitly about queer people, distinctly important to queer people.
Or some queer people, anyway, not a monolithic entity et cetera.

Sarcophallus posted:

Are you a mineral person?

PS: the Japanese language does not handle pronouns like English does. The author is going to no great lengths at all to make them genderless. Comparing languages this way is kinda silly, and your arguments on it are just a reflection of your own attachment to minerals who don't care about LGBT issues at all.

Yes, thanks, I'm aware Japanese does not handle pronouns like English does.
However, most works translated from Japanese sub in appropriate male/female pronouns and don't explicitly avoid them in favour of using "they", so I'm not sure what your point is.
Also, yes, the minerals don't care about LGBT issues on account of how they're fictional characters. They also don't care what pronouns people use for them, because again, fictional characters. But it's extremely obvious from the amount of (tedious) discourse on the subject that the topic is (yes, probably disproportionately) important to some LGBT people who are not fictional characters, and insisting on using gendered pronouns for characters that the author :siren:the official translations:siren: explicitly avoid gendering is obviously going to upset those people.

You can make all the arguments you want about how unimportant it is and how those people are getting too upset, and hey, I even agree with you, which is why I wasn't kvetching about this for the last several pages until Disdisdis reopened the topic, but if it's so unimportant, then why are people so insistent on projecting their interpretation of gender onto the characters over the one preferred in the media itself?

Could it be that the issue is *gasp* also disproportionately important to those people too!?

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 22, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Sarcophallus posted:

It's a story with really strong themes around identity, personal value, and isolation - which in my view does a really great job being more than skin-deep on those topics. Phos' identity has absolutely nothing to do with how gay or genderless it may or may not be, and everything to do with the conflict between their contribution to gem-society and general incompetence. The author is literally playing out a Ship of Theseus on Phos and it's fascinating. Whether a person refers to Phos as 'he', 'she', or 'it' makes literally no difference to any of the themes of the story, but people get so hung up on it for reasons that I don't think make any sense. Gender has nothing at all to do with the series.

Yes, I agree entirely. The genderless aspect of the gems is neat, but not important in the context of the show. It reminds me of Ann Leckie's Ancillary books, which are absolutely amazing sci-fi (again, actually with a strong focus on identity - the protagonist used to be a warship) where all anyone would loving talk about was how incredibly progressive it was because every character was referred to as "she" regardless of sex. And again, it was neat, a cool setting detail that added depth to the world, but it wasn't important, and as you say, it frustrated me how much that aspect of the books overshadowed the more interesting aspects.

My metaphorical dog in this fight really has been that I feel like there are two sides to the debate: one saying "this is important so let's do it my way" and the other saying "no this is totally unimportant so I'll do it my way" and that second attitude seems really disingenuous to me.

But I personally am on the third side which is "holy poo poo please let's stop talking about pronouns".

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Lestaki posted:

I don't believe anyone on God's green earth can meaningfully speak for the identity of the rock elementals animated by... whatever an Include is. I also don't see how referring to Phos as any pronoun has any particular consequence, as a result. If this was Wandering Son or whatever I would be on board with this thesis but Hoseki no Kuni is not that show and I don't get why this is a hill people are dying on. Sorry.

People like to feel like they aren't alone.
Therefore, they like to see other people like them in media.
For any given demographic, the less they see of themselves in media, the more important to them each existing instance becomes.
Non-binary people don't show up in media a lot.
Therefore, when they do, people get very attached.
Because this representation is important to them, it upsets them when people try and diminish it.
People specifically going out of their way to assign genders to characters which are explicitly not gendered in the source material is doing exactly that.
Therefore, it upsets people.

Like I said, there's plenty of room for debate about how important this stuff is, and I agree entirely with Sarcophallus that the gender of the characters is basically irrelevant to the story the show is telling, but the actual concept of why this matters to people is not hard to grasp, and I feel like the people who are claiming that the whole thing mystifies them are being deliberately obtuse.

Furthermore, the rationales people are using in favour of assigning gender to the gem people are weird and IMO kinda dumb. "They're voiced by women" (like 50% of anime boys ever). "They wear feminine clothing" (by the standards of modern western society which are obviously inapplicable here). So when people do it, it certainly appears, rightly or wrongly, as though they're uncomfortable with the idea of non-binary people. This is compounded by the fact that no-one who uses he/she for them says they think it's important, yet despite the fact that the people who do care are getting bent out of shape over it, those people are remarkably unwilling to concede this unimportant matter.

And yes, you can make all the arguments you like about how people shouldn't be policing the pronouns other people use for fictional gem people in a forum thread, and yes, you're totally right that it's a loving absurd dispute, but it doesn't matter if it's absurd and trivial, because when you persist in the face of other people's displeasure you've got to own the fact that you're knowingly and intentionally upsetting other people. Now, if you think that's justified because what they're getting upset over is trivial and dumb, that's a perfectly valid outlook. I don't think it's a very nice one, but it's eminently reasonable.

But it irritates me that people seem to be hiding behind this facade of "Oh, it doesn't matter, I don't understand why you care!" to avoid admitting to themselves that they just want to annoy the other group. If it really doesn't matter, why not do what the people for whom the issue is important would prefer?

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 22, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Lestaki posted:

She is the hardest, so they don't have anything that can cut it. (Except Sensei maybe?)

:aaa: that's pretty cool.
Though I was kinda hoping the answer would be something more rock nerdy, like the structure of carborundum having really long molecular chains or something.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Xun posted:

I'm not sure if the gems are literally photosynthesizing since they all loving sparkle, so light is getting bounced out of their bodies. Not to mention that they're transparent...maybe the skin powder is for helping trap light instead of a morality thing :v:

Ooh, what a clever idea!
That would also explain why they don't do their hair, because that's the bit that lets the light in. And their fingernails because... uh... Hmm.

That said, I don't think the sparkling necessarily makes photosynthesis a no-no.
After all, most leaves don't absorb 100% of the light that hits them (except for the rare and elusive Vantablack™ Pine Tree (© Anish Kapoor)) and they manage just fine.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

dogsicle posted:

i could definitely buy the powder being protection against salt water, even though the gems only seen to care about looking "ugly" without it. seems like sensei is teaching them some weird beauty standards :thunk:

Stop facet shaming, sensei.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
So, uh, Phos is motherfucking living kintsugi now.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ranzear posted:

Finally caught up. Should I mention gold forms an amalgam with mercury?

:aaa:
That's so clever. Want that Phos/Cinnabar hug so much now. :3:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Sindai posted:

why do you hate Phos's cool new arms

I'm assuming it will work in the heartwarming "yay we can touch each other safely" way, not the horrifying "yay now I will subsume your body and destroy you" way.
Let me have my cute gem hugs okay.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Do we know how much of the manga the anime is going to cover?
It's scheduled for 12 episodes, and the cover art of the third volume shows stuff which just happened in episode 8.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
:aaa: Holy poo poo that was amazing.
Bort's not gonna back down. Gonna see some diced Lunarian! :d:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

tags: gemdom

:perfect:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Endorph posted:

so yeah op can you please edit the op, thank you. im not even being pissy it's just a sincere request for accuracy considering its important to the material and the authorial intent

But the subtitles once used "Brother", which totally justifies me calling them all "she"!
:goonsay:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Yak of Wrath posted:

Somewhere in the world someone ponders "Do I need a car? or do I need some of that official merch?"

https://www.tasaki.co.jp/land_of_the_lustrous/character/

I don't know if that merch is actually the relevant stones, but if anyone is curious, real phosphophylite is very loving expensive.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The little crystals he throws have the shape of a truncated octahedron, which occurs as the crystalline structure of Faujasite.
... but those ones have different proportions, and Faujasite is apparently very weak.

Edit: Apparently gold also forms truncated octahedral crystals...

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 18, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Endorph posted:

I mean it depends on the anime. Plenty of oldschool mecha anime get $1000 diecast metal mecha figures and stuff, and Senran Kagura and FF13 and Tales of have had tie-ins with high end fashion lines for women. It just depends on your target demo.

More than that, this is kind of a marketing stunt for both expensive jewelry and the show, even if they don't sell much of it.

*gasp*
You changed your AV! No more cute dancing girl!
... what was your last one even from, anyway?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ccs posted:

Dia and Cinnabar talk about "romance" in episode 3 so they must understand how that stuff works, which wouldn't happen if they were truly genderless.

Why wouldn't it, though?
Romance can happen between two people whose genders don't differ, and some people do have romantic relationships without sex, so...

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
A pair of dual-monitor wallpapers I put together:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

is this phoss

I actually airbrushed Phos out of the right hand side of the bottom one. It's the end card where they wash up in front of Cinnabar, but I didn't want them showing up in both halves.

• Locked thread