Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Even though I'm a huge fan of the manga and series, I think the character designs are weak. If you've seen the artists other work, they only really draw one body type, and a handful of faces. Characters are often hard to distinguish except by hair.

Here's some random shots from their earlier work:

What the artist IS fantastic at is their page layouts - there's some really gorgeous design and flow to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

They’re clearly capable of drawing different body types, as seen with Master - they just seem to have a preference. :shrug:
Yes, and the character design for Sensei re-occurs in several of their works. As an artist they seem to have two preferences - androgynous willow and bald macho.

Everything Burrito posted:

I think those are all fairly distinct and what is interesting about them is the economy of detail. They're minimalistic and elegant, not generic.
Also yes! But I feel that kind of minimalism works best for stories with very small casts. The more characters you have drawn in that style with identical body shapes, the less you can separate them.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think Viggy was the only guy arguing they were generically moe, and I'd definitely disagree with that. Dia strays a little in the moe direction, but the show's designs absolutely stand out from the usual season fare of 'cute girls do cutesy club stuff'.

I just recognize that it's okay to dislike the designs, but also totally disagree that they're generically moe. I'm still a big fan of the manga and it's themes, and I hope like hell we get a second season to finish up the story.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

i forget, is it ever mentioned whether the other gems and minerals actually sleep? if not, i feel his "meditation" just being him trying to catch some zzz's may also be a lowkey hint towards that.
We've seen them go dormant in the dark, ( Dia passing out in the field, Phos getting weaker underwater, etc.) although whether that's actually analogous to human sleep is anyone's guess.

It's the reflexively human behaviors of the gems that I think are fascinating. Why do they have a nudity taboo at all? What does the word sensei mean to them? Why do they wear full-body powder to give them a near-human skin tone, but keep their 'hair' as a raw gem?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

"One fact I learned that I found surprising was that the gems are actually wearing mourning clothes. It’s supposed to show how they treat life and death, which makes sense."
...huh.

With such a long development time, it definitely looks like 12 episodes is all we get.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

We were thinking the same thing. Why not use that entire shell?
This definitely falls under the 'why do they look like people at all?' umbrella. If Phos didn't have replacement material for their legs, could Rutile just have reassembled their existing parts into a shorter version?

They also play rock-paper-scissors, millenia after mankind perished. Who taught them that and why?

EDIT: I was also weirded out that Phos's severed face-chunk had closed its eye. Like it went to sleep in the absence of the rest of its parts. If Phos can merge with new materials, could you make many copies of Phos with enough agate?

Squidster fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 5, 2017

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Postal Parcel posted:

The show is much farther along than I thought. I wonder where it plans to set down.

The ending animation includes a brief shot of these weird butts, so I imagine they'll need to be introduced before the anime wraps.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The Lunarians remind me of something and I can't figure it out. Where did I last see aliens/monsters appearing regularly but getting stronger every time and pulling out shocking new tricks to ruin some heroes? I'm sure it crops it frequently enough, but there's a specific, somewhat recent feeling example nagging at me.

I know Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer had some of that, but it's something I read/watch/played more recently.

Also this show is outstanding
It's a good few years old, but I feel Noein shares some inspiration.
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/5295

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

I love the escalating wrongness in the ice floe stuff.

The ice forms weird shapes....
which are called sinners for some reason...
and they get cut up to stop them from screaming....
and the screams are actual words....
Every single part of this made me trust Sensei less and less. Destroying possibly-sentient beings because they're inconvenient isn't exactly hero behaviour.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

The animation team is doing some incredible work.

Poor Phos.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

She did the same T-1000 routine when she was mending Sensei's robe as well, stitching away with all four hands. I really enjoy how she's instinctively abandoning the confining human form. Maybe she'll just end up a rolling sphere like a gold BB8, or a gelatinous platinum cube.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

Sensei nature stuff
Come on, at least put that under a manga spoiler or something.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Half the mystery of the show is "what IS Sensei's deal?". In the anime, you can see he's launching particles, but there is storytelling wrapped up in the details. Anime-only viewers are piecing together clues from limited information, and that's fun. This thread has been really good so far about not revealing any of the later manga spoilers.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

This manga arc is stressing me right the hell out. Anime-watchers, go buy the manga so you can share in the terror.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Myriad Truths posted:

Did any of those have negative consequences though? Particularly when it comes to being bitter and distant, I have a hard time counting that as a character flaw because so many anime treat it like a positive thing because the character is now cooler.
Lots of media use this trope, often in a harmful way. The Punisher is cool because they're bitter and damaged and value Justice over being a functioning human'nice'. This also describes Batman, BBC Sherlock, every male Frank Miller character ever, Wolverine, etc., etc., I remember reading about anti-war activists being devastated to discover that a lot of potential recruits think having PTSD is cool and sexy.

To become beautifully, uniquely damaged for a great cause is something we instinctively admire. We like noble sacrifice in others.

Phos is hosed up, and deeply envious of the silly person they could be when they were still whole. But even Zircon wants to be cool and damaged like Phos now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

That's... real hosed up. It does explain a lot of Cairngorm's character...

• Locked thread