Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That is some severe lordosis going on. I guess they don't have spines though so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This was a beautiful episode.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Man, this show is actually gorgeous. This is the nicest-looking 3D anime I've ever watched. They're not using it to approximate 2D, they're using it to its fullest extent to make the movement super fluid and expressive all the time. It looks great.

Right? The running scene was fantastic.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Colonel posted:

that's what happens when you hand a project over to experienced staff who work with 3dcg on a daily basis and know how to direct it, instead of a guy who has never once worked with 3d in his life but animated several seasons of teekyuu

Imagine if Berserk had been managed with this level of competency...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The GIG posted:

This show made me want to have sick rear end gem hair so they are very clearly doing something right.

Just replace your scalp with a mesh of LED embedded fiber-optic cables.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The_White_Crane posted:

That was a good episode.
I look forward to the further adventures of Phos+Slugbuddy.

Also, did anyone else notice that a bunch of people referred to Phos as "them", except right at the end, when Dia said "you know how to bring her back, right?" Can any Japanese speakers say if that was reflecting an actual difference in the spoken dialogue?

Also also:

It looks a little greener IRL than in that photo, actually.

Step 2: replace hair with precious gems

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wow, that went in a completely unexpected direction. I'm really enjoying this show.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ccs posted:

I'm gonna go through this frame by frame because it's so well done.

The animation studio is Orange, who have worked on a ton of projects before, but I think this is their first time spearheading a series? They're knocking it out of the park. I'm so glad to see CG anime actually working.

Interesting philosophical turn with what the moon people are in episode 4. And drat, that ending.

I don't see it as a literal descriptor, so much as a rough analogy for the cultures they adopted as successors to humanity.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The_White_Crane posted:

Phos is an rear end person. :pervert:

That was a really unexpected turn though. I was saying to someone just the night before I watched it that this was one of the most "I have no loving clue where this is going" shows I'd ever seen. drat you, traitor snail-king!

She could have just asked Sensei for help... Now she'll never get that date!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Who is saying that line? It seemed like it came out of nowhere.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Futaba Anzu posted:

the central conflict that comes up in this episode is intriguing as gently caress, this season has some surprising aots contenders with this probably being my top so far.

It didn't seem like a central conflict to me. Maybe it will become more apparent in later episodes.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm pretty sure boob physics don't work like that underwater. 0/10 worst anime of the season.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sindai posted:

They must go through a lot of makeup if they're all covered in it all the time.

It's interesting that they think their natural forms are hideous when they are comprised of some of the most coveted aesthetic materials in the world.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The_White_Crane posted:

... what the hell kind of mourning clothes include short shorts?
I mean, I'm not complaining, but...

Given the fact that they're photosynthetic, pants would probably be a poor choice

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

nielsm posted:

Gemtlemen, we can rebuild them! We have the technologyminerals!

Maybe she's the first union of Bone and Flesh in a long time. I wonder how losing these memories will affect her personality. I also expected her to be way older than 300.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sindai posted:

This show is so weird and good.

So the gems are actually microorganisms that live in crystals and feed on light.

They seem to comprise a colony of sorts without specialized internal organs.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dzhay posted:

If a piece of an appropriate substance is attached to Phos it becomes More Phos. The bits that were removed to do this are presumably also still Phos...

So who says Phos only needs two arms? Or needs to be not 100ft tall.

We were thinking the same thing. Why not use that entire shell?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Eela6 posted:

The op in particular has really grown on me.

The bass line is really catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxxKm_O1xwo

The full theme has a sax? solo. I love how dissonant the whole thing is. It really fits the vaguely unsettling, alien world of the show.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 5, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was a bit disappointing, not in terms of the story or anything. I wanted to see Phos succeed at something for once, but she wasn't able to.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

EagerSleeper posted:

loving Lunarians! :argh: Here I was thinking this was going to be a light and silly episode.

Sensei's reaction to the word "humans" was interesting though. What the hell is Sensei? How come they recognize what a human is? Either they started digging through some old archives that survived the apocalypse, they have memories of what being a human was like, or maybe they had interactions with the Flesh before?

Also, btw, what the hell happened to the world again? I'm having a hard interpreting what they were saying at the beginning about how the moon got split into six different ones and human life took to the seas to survive.

Probably an asteroid collision or something that drove humans into the seas.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

a kitten posted:

I had a bunch of light-hearted poo poo typed up but then the episode climax rolled around and I don't want to post that anymore.

Regarding Sensei, (and this is total speculation and guessing on my part) I was thinking that he (?) is a new style human resulting from a fusion of the three types of beings we've seen. Somehow. Maybe.

Or maybe he's one of the last of the old ones.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

She could've like...ran to tell someone at the very least.

I get the impression that her ability to photosynthesize is reduced with the new legs. She didn't seem able to recover from exhaustion at all.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Postal Parcel posted:

Little bit of that and a little bit of terror

It's essentially the "Deer in headlights" syndrome. Yeah, you know you should run or do anything, but the shock is so great that you just remain paralyzed.

The show is much farther along than I thought. I wonder where it plans to set down.

Maybe an anime-original ending.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

a kitten posted:

There's a little (floral?) pattern inside the gloves!

What gorgeous attention to detail.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The GIG posted:

Phos continues to be the most relatable rock of them all.

You might say she's a rock star.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

a kitten posted:

https://twitter.com/jetjetmkii/status/932662367736946688

poo poo man, I'm trying to save so I can buy presents for my freakin family here

Do they have these in a digital format?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ccs posted:

Why do the gems even go out patrolling when it's not winter? They're much safer if they stay by sensei in the complex. Instead they go running out around the fields where they can be picked off much easier by the lunarians.

Maybe things somehow get worse if they're allowed to warp in uncontested?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Futaba Anzu posted:

what would happen if two gem types were combined together

I think there was a line about problems with differing hardness and how they didn't expect the new legs to work.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

boredsatellite posted:

I do feel like the narrative is moving towards that, Phos is focused on improving herself that she may lose focus of why she wanted to be strong

So a metaphor for sacrificing your values for personal advancement.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lestaki posted:

I don't believe anyone on God's green earth can meaningfully speak for the identity of the rock elementals animated by... whatever an Include is. I also don't see how referring to Phos as any pronoun has any particular consequence, as a result. If this was Wandering Son or whatever I would be on board with this thesis but Hoseki no Kuni is not that show and I don't get why this is a hill people are dying on. Sorry.

In other translations, they are referred to as Inclusions, which in rock terminology is any material trapped in a rock during formation.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

chumbler posted:

I assume it is the microorganisms doing the photosynthesis.

Also the thought occurred to me that white powder is often TiO2. Is Rutile sacrificing themselves to give the powder to the others?

They show them collecting seeds from a plant to make the white powder in a previous episode.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I can see why they chose to use CGI for this show. They're able to model the fluid dynamics and gem shattering really well. I don't think 2D would have the same sort of effect here.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xun posted:

Instead of the manga I'm hitting up some gem dealers for antarcticite specimens for my gf lmao

You could probably make it at home instead. It forms from calcium chloride in a cold brine solution, so your fridge should work fine for that.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Given that Sensei referred to the disembodied voices in the floe as sinners, it seems like the oceans are full of the microorganisms that form the Gems. It's only when they are condensed into gem form through some process that they are given life. I'm getting a strong reincarnation vibe here. Maybe only pure souls are able to form gems?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Everything Burrito posted:

I wanted to know what that was like so I watched this video and whoa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAGYGGmUmUw

Please tag your NSFW mineral-on-mineral action thanks

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RIP Phos.

She still exists technically, but the changes have made her a very distinct character from the previous Phos.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Everything Burrito posted:

How much was the alloy and how much was just being alone and having all of that responsibility (and guilt) to deal with. Being around the others was good for Phos. Not to make a corny pun but the alloy did seem to give them more uh...gravity though.

She's also lost a good chunk of her memories and therefore personality.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It's interesting to see the gems act this way toward Phos whereas previously they were shown to be uncurious toward pretty much everything.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

EagerSleeper posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't a surprise to anyone, but I guess the Lunarians may be functioning on some form of summoning. That's why they aren't afraid to 'die' because they're still out on the moon, and will just come right back in a couple of days.

It's possible that they have an entire civilization and the moon is basically just a gem mining outpost.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sensei is actually a Lunarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is no one going to mention the tears of gold? She doesn't even understand what they are. It's tragic.

• Locked thread