Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also the hardness scale they refer to is the Mohs scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Phos being one of the last living things in the universe and also 100% completely useless, with no potential to even become useful at some point in the future, is an amazing cosmic joke.

Ep 2: With being dissolved in that slug, what's the chance Phos actually changes composition to something different? (I assume the viewpoint protagonist doesn't get killed off 2 episodes in.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Also, did anyone else notice that a bunch of people referred to Phos as "them", except right at the end, when Dia said "you know how to bring her back, right?" Can any Japanese speakers say if that was reflecting an actual difference in the spoken dialogue?

This?

No the word "her" isn't in the Japanese, there isn't actually any pronoun in the sentence referring to Phos. However there is one referring to Bort, and that's the alpha-masculine "ore". (Most of the other gems use "boku" to refer to themselves, technically also masculine.) The sentence structure is like: "I know a way to bring back [implied subject Phos]," don't you mean?

It does look like Phos and the snail had some two-way transfer of consciousness and memories.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Who is saying that line? It seemed like it came out of nowhere.

The slug.

Who by the way did use some gendered phrasings when referring to the gems, probably because she (being not a mineral) does know about and assume gender.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gemtlemen, we can rebuild them! We have the technologyminerals!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That was metal.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

just an update: do not call the gems with female pronouns. ty!!

Several of them were referring to each other by "otouto", i.e. younger brother, this episode.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The multiple arms and eyes led my thoughts to Shiva depictions, but that's too few arms and eyes, and not even Buddhism.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay let's talk spoiler policies then.
In my opinion, if a story has a central mystery that it spends a long time revealing, but someone explaining the basics of that mystery in a few sentences destroys any enjoyment you could have from following along in the story to slowly reach the full reveal, doesn't that just mean the story is crap? If you can perfectly summarize fifty chapters in fifty words, maybe the story spent forty-nine chapters too many, or the author is just bad.
Personally, I often enjoy a story more when I know what to look forward to, just in broad strokes. It makes me eager in anticipation of exactly how the details will come together to the conclusion I know ahead of time.

By all means, please spoil me on why these issues are so important. It will probably increase my enjoyment of the story.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ccs posted:

Edit: My family has decided the gems must be female and it's stupid to refer to them otherwise because Dia and Cinnabar talk about "romance" in episode 3 so they must understand how that stuff works, which wouldn't happen if they were truly genderless.

I haven't rewatched the scene, but in Japanese the loan word "roman" (from "romance") is used to mean something like dreams/aspirations. In contexts like "Saving the girl while riding a giant robot is a boy's romance."

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But why do those holes appear in the first place? Does material inserted somehow sublimate or "wander away"? Is there a real-world physical/chemical parallel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Could I get Diamond performing as an idol please?

• Locked thread