Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Relin posted:

they are being posed for a male viewer in a fair number of shots. feminized even though they are rock humanoids
literally: no they arent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

men are so obsessed with being the assumed viewer that even when they realize being the assumed viewer is the bad thing they have to post on the internet about how literally everything assumes a male viewer and bend over backwards to try and 'call out' 'male gaze'

its crazy

anyway, good show about they rocks

agemder

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i hope the show inspires men and women everywhere to wear really long socks
you dont need a gender to wear really long socks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

using a gendered pronoun for the gems should be bannable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

Endorph you are kidding right? It can be hard to tell tone on the internet.

i am 100% serious. i have never not been serious in my entire life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey op could you correct the op, jokes aside

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

trump's approval rating is higher than congress' and yet they get reelected like 90% or more of the time

lollin' at desperate liberals thinking anything trump does will have an impact on the midterm elections

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

I can see why they chose to use CGI for this show. They're able to model the fluid dynamics and gem shattering really well. I don't think 2D would have the same sort of effect here.
Yeah, the CG feels like an actual artistic choice here, and it actually adds to the show. I think a good 2D show based on the manga could be made but it'd have to execute some things very differently.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just an update: do not call the gems with female pronouns. ty!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

Several of them were referring to each other by "otouto", i.e. younger brother, this episode.
Do Not Use Gendered Pronouns For The Gems

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im glad we all agreed to not use gendered terms for the gems, thanks everyone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

authorial intent, the clear point of the story, etc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

me watching the show where a feminine but agender person has a voice whisper in their ear that they should harm themselves because their body is imperfect and useless and nobody lets them do anything due to it: wow this extremely isnt about gender

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dzhay posted:

Has anyone said "gemder" yet?

(I'm trying to stick to singular "they", but it often leads to ambiguous phrases. Like "It isn't Phos' fault that they have to hang around with this bunch of assholes who only care about them to the extent that they're useful to them.")
I mean context clues makes that sentence pretty understandable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

When I'm talking about friends and people, and not 2d bugeye aliens designed as otaku fap bait, I don't.
but what are your opinions on episode 22 of fate/apocrypha

also depends what you mean by 'andrognyous' characters. if you like this kind of character design its very influenced by 90s shoujo but if you mean the explicitly agender aspects of the characters writing-wise simoun is the only one i can really think of and that show goes in a very different direction with that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, there's also Kino no Tabi 2003. The more recent show doesn't play around with it in the same way but the 2003 show is cool if you dig that kind of character writing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ponies Ist Krieg posted:

:( this anime is only 12 eps and it's so pretty. meaningstwhile in the time it's taken me to write this post, eight Harem animes set in a mmorpg have been released.*
this is kind of a reductive take, there's been plenty of great anime in the past year and even in this season there's other good stuff. especially if, uh, you like konosuba and overlord lol

And part of the reason it's only 12 episodes is that there just isn't enough of the manga out yet for twenty-four.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lets hang out posted:

well there's enough for a second season but only just. which is a shame because some of my fav gems haven't even shown up yet

there wasnt enough when production on this was starting and they definitely dont want to commit to 24 episodes then get caught with their hands tied if the author gets sick or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

The whole decision to use gender neutral pronouns for all of the characters came from the series creator. Before I even started I was told that they wanted to keep the characters essentially genderless by avoiding using “he” or “she,” which really only left the option of “they” because using “it” or something horrible like that was absolutely out of the question.

In the Japanese script, the characters use what is actually the generic pronoun for “he” from time to time, and a lot of the characters use what are typically considered more masculine versions of the word “I,” which is something we don’t really have in English. But it can feel as though it has a bit more room for ambiguity in Japanese, whereas in English it feels like it very clearly assigns them one way or another, which is not what the creator intended.

so yeah op can you please edit the op, thank you. im not even being pissy it's just a sincere request for accuracy considering its important to the material and the authorial intent

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

crushing bort

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It almost seems like something like Kongo and the Lunarians were both once humans - when Shiro was vanishing I'm pretty sure there was a couple of frames where there was a wisp of an actual dog and not the poofy goofy dog from the rest of the episode - but that seems way too obvious.

EDIT: As for asking Sensei, iunno if anyone has, but it'd be pretty easy to understand if nobody has. We've definitely seen Sensei have a temper before, even if it was justified, and if you get exiled from the rest of the group you're basically Lunarian bait. Cinnabar can probably take care of themselves, but if, say, Dia had been out on their own when they used their broken arms as weapons, they'd have had to just sit there until the next wave of Lunarians came and got them. Even Bort would have been grabbed by the new Lunarian without Phos around. They need each other, so nobody wants to risk their place in the group.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 17, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/791228169999245312

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

Is it normally possible for an anime to be able to hire what appears to be a decent goldsmith to make merchandise? Like I thought anime merchandise is usually stuff like plastic figurines/accessories/maybe some cheap jewelery but not actual luxury stuff. It is some of the classiest anime merchandise I've seen but it's also waaaaaay out of my price range.
I mean it depends on the anime. Plenty of oldschool mecha anime get $1000 diecast metal mecha figures and stuff, and Senran Kagura and FF13 and Tales of have had tie-ins with high end fashion lines for women. It just depends on your target demo.

More than that, this is kind of a marketing stunt for both expensive jewelry and the show, even if they don't sell much of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

*gasp*
You changed your AV! No more cute dancing girl!
... what was your last one even from, anyway?

hibike euphonium. it's a good show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/anijii/status/943080386279518209

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alex looked really good in sensei's outfit. That's my last episode review.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite part of the anime's ending was my friend yelling WHO ARE YOU when that gem popped up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i actualyl recognize that one but are the braids one and the sidetail one even in any other shots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Knorth posted:

How many volumes did the anime cover? Also it might be a little bit til I can buy manga again, are the scans alright?
the quality is alright as it goes on but they use pretty weeby name spellings (Bortz, Shisha, Fosu) and they like calling them 'he'. the tl quality isnt horrible outside of that tho

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

manga is nailbiting as many others have said. Anime was amazing, but as people have said, it's hard to find a good spot to close the season. I hope they get a second season

The series seems to be really popular, especially for having a weird premise and being based on a relatively obscure manga from a not-incredibly-popular magazine (the most popular thing currently running in the magazine is probably Vinland Saga, circulation of only about 70k, only noteworthy previous series are Oh my Goddess and Parasyte). It's gotten a lot of praise from the industry itself, too. Season 2 will probably happen, especially since a popular show like this will no doubt increase circulation for a magazine that's only really had a few anime adaptations. The recent Parasyte anime didn't really help, since obviously Parasyte was over by the time it got an anime, and the Sidonia anime was never huge.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844710

heres a manga thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

But when they got the gold and platinum upgrade, they immediately shot up to become one of the strongest fighters, and all their personality issues vanished offscreen.

Their personality issues didn't vanish. They've still got a lot of the same issues: look how they interact with the others in the last episode, especially how they tell Cinnabar 'Nope. Nothing fun.'

More than that, they're still incredibly aware of their own shortcomings and still think of themselves as useless. Like how Bort asks if they're happy and they go "No. Not a single good thing has come of it." Look at how they interact with the twins too, "I wanna look cool for you guys," or the exaggerated reactions they have to Bort's plan. They're still totally Phos from head-to-toe. They're better in a fight and more muted, but they're still self-important, still tend to act on a whim, and still have no idea what to do with themselves. There's more wry humor to them than bratty selfishness, but iunno how you get the impression they're somehow 'fixed' or don't have any personality issues. If anything, they have more personality issues now than they did at the start. Even ignoring the PTSD, they're much more bitter towards the others.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

Did any of those have negative consequences though? Particularly when it comes to being bitter and distant, I have a hard time counting that as a character flaw because so many anime treat it like a positive thing because the character is now cooler.
That, uh. That isn't really a good thing, though. Even in the episodes shown, Phos's distance is treated as a flaw. Phos literally says they don't like being like this. 'Not a single good thing has come of it.'

And Cinnabar seems almost heartbroken by how Phos behaves now, seems to view it as a betrayal of the connection they'd formed at the start of the series.

Also what anime are you even talking about? Pretty much every anime I've ever watched has a cool, detached character warm up to the people around them and get friends and stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

Oh, right, I was confused by that. They correct themselves right after so I took it as aloofness and not loss of memory. Later on Phos seems to remember Cinnabar just fine also.
They seem a little surprised by the 'what about fun' line from Cinnabar, so I really did just take it as their memories being spotty. A lot of Phos's memories of certain places or people seem very much like them just kind of piecing it together from context clues than actually remembering things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I will say that the manga's sense of humor feels much... dryer? Compared to the anime. Not in a bad way, mind, just that without the voice acting, color, and motion everything feels less like an extended gag sequence and more like weird little asides. That's probably the biggest difference I noticed tone-wise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jeza posted:

This was a pretty good watch. Only thing dragging it down was "lol 100% girls in skimpy outfits" thing which I could really do without but oh well. Music was good too, added to the overall chill vibe.
they arent girls

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

I don't think its controversial to say the author drew them in tiny schoolboy shorts because she's horny
oh yeah she said as much herself and if someone doesnt like that that's kinda fair. though if anything thats her being horny for oldschool bl.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

also the fact that sensei shapes them to look like each other when they are born has implications.
One that he likes them to look like girls, and that kinda gives me the creeps. It also further raises suspicion on him, even if its unwarranted

have you read the manga? not necessarily disagreeing with that take perse but in the manga they definitely seem more androgynous, their eyes are a lot more narrow and lack the sparkliness of the anime designs. a lot of them even have eyes as narrow as sensei, which does make them read a lot more androgynous.

the more muted color palette and lack of VAs also contributes to this, ofc.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Dia has very feminine mannerisms so that's not too surprising.
ironically to me they read as one of the more masculine ones, a lot of their personality is very much based in old yaoi tropes, or like, male villains in a magical girl series. to me they remind me of like, the 'cute' one in an shoujo harem series, even, like hani from ouran or something. they have this cuteness to them and those occasionally nurturing mannerisms but a lot of their needs and wants are based in competition and comparing themselves to others, and a need to be active for the people they care about, and they're obviously one of the more determined fighters of the bunch.

of course a lot of this is association with bort, who's their own complex thing.

i think its interesting how the lack of gender kind of frees them from falling into simple boxes, even when they are playing around with fairly well-worn character archetypes. part of that is just good, rounded writing, Dia's made up of a lot of conflicting and contrasting parts that make them a more interesting character, but they are pretty well served by how the series handles the gems in general.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 19, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

They don't read as bishounen to me :shrug:
well they do to the author who talks at length about how she gave them the handsome faces of men, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

so im gay

• Locked thread