Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It's their butts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

An emergency butt transfer would be hilarious

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lestaki posted:

I believe Bort, at least as presented in the show, isn't brittle. That's why she is a haughty god of war while Diamond is skilled and well-meaning but crippled by being, well, brittle.

Edit: Apparently bort isn't especially brittle in general? Do we have a geologist in the house?

Diamonds have perfect cleavage in 4 directions, so it's pretty easy for them to break apart along those lines. Due to bort being imperfectly crystallized diamond, its slightly softer but lacks the cleavage of diamond which overall makes it a tougher mineral.

I'm not sure if the gems are literally photosynthesizing since they all loving sparkle, so light is getting bounced out of their bodies. Not to mention that they're transparent...maybe the skin powder is for helping trap light instead of a morality thing :v:

Xun fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 23, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

Ooh, what a clever idea!
That would also explain why they don't do their hair, because that's the bit that lets the light in. And their fingernails because... uh... Hmm.

That said, I don't think the sparkling necessarily makes photosynthesis a no-no.
After all, most leaves don't absorb 100% of the light that hits them (except for the rare and elusive Vantablack™ Pine Tree (© Anish Kapoor)) and they manage just fine.

I just find sparkling kinda weird since the purpose of most cut gems is to allow as much light as possible to reflect out of the gemstone, thus causing the sparkle. If the light didn't reflect as much it'd look like an agate or something. But I'm just being a gem sperg here :goonsay: The gem people can photosynthesize as much as they like

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i could definitely buy the powder being protection against salt water, even though the gems only seen to care about looking "ugly" without it. seems like sensei is teaching them some weird beauty standards :thunk:

Yeah wtf sensei

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I hope the anime helps the manga get better translations. Re-translations? Idk. I'm not sure who is doing it now but there was at least a stint where I'm pretty sure it was a guy using google translate lmao. The recent chapters are pretty decent though

Xun fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 26, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

a kitten posted:

There's a buyable, professional translation available.

Oh, I actually didn't know that. How popular is the manga? I always thought it didn't have the base to get an English translation.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i dunno how well it's doing (other than the fact that they're 3 volumes deep here) but all of the marketing for the english release cites Steven Universe, so i think they were hoping that was a niche they could jump into.

Huh, I guess the premise is similar but I'm not sure how well it fits into the Steven universe niche.

Sarcophallus posted:

The manga is very good and you should buy it.

Instead of the manga I'm hitting up some gem dealers for antarcticite specimens for my gf lmao

Xun fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 27, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

You could probably make it at home instead. It forms from calcium chloride in a cold brine solution, so your fridge should work fine for that.

Yeah but I personally feel that there is something to naturally occurring minerals vs just making some when you're collecting. But I'll ask if gf would be okay grabbing some calcium chloride since the naturally occurring stuff seems hard to source

Edit: also the natural stuff probably won't need us experimenting with saturation levels

Xun fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 27, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Dzhay posted:

Xun, are you sure you're not dating a moon person?

If anything I'm the moon person, my hobby is cutting gems :unsmigghh:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

You know, this may be one of the few times where the anime see through hair actually makes sense. Although you can't see the other eye so idk NVM

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

EPISODE GOOD

Did Diamond hit that lunarian with her leg?! :tviv: Also Bort better undump Diamond!!!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh my god I just realized my name is unironically Moon Moon irl and I have a bag of gem pieces and cut them for decoration...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

Can I ask how you cut them because that sounds pretty interesting?

Basically I've got a machine for it that can hold a gem at a very precise angle, height, and rotation and you grind down the gem on flat discs of various grits. Grits can range from 300 to >50,000 with the high end used for polishing. Polishing can also be done with various metal oxides but afaik nobody really knows why that works. :v:

Any news on a second season for this? It sounds like the reception has been good and I'd really like to see the rest of the story adapted by this company.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh wow those necklaces, that's sure uhhh, something :stare: if they're using real phospholyte I hope whoever buys that only displays it since there's a reason why there's a minimum harness for gems used in jewelery. You could easily simulate all those colors using CZ or sapphires which is what I'd expect from merchandise, but that pricetag is so loving high it's either real or expert gouging is happening here.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is it normally possible for an anime to be able to hire what appears to be a decent goldsmith to make merchandise? Like I thought anime merchandise is usually stuff like plastic figurines/accessories/maybe some cheap jewelery but not actual luxury stuff. It is some of the classiest anime merchandise I've seen but it's also waaaaaay out of my price range.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Where is my season 2 announcement :argh:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ROCKS CAN BLUSH?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Has any crazy fan commissioned a custom figurine with the respective gemstone for the hair? I figure a custom order of lab-grown diamonds could be "cheap" enough, with Amethyst being next likely (but tougher to get in that deep purple), Jade (but harder to custom cut to Jade's hairstyle), and Citrine (but who the gently caress sells custom citrine pieces). Obsidian and lab grown Red Beryl works, but who is crazy enough of a fan of those characters to invest in something like this lol

WELL ACTUALLY amethyst and citrine are relatively cheap since it's not hard to synthetically grow those. The hardest part would be to find someone to carve them. Next "easiest" would be any of the corundum since synthetics are also pretty common and come in many colors and can be bought in large-ish sizes. Real obsidian might actually cost a bit more than the synthetics. Anything else I'd actually just approximate with synthetic corundum, spinels, or hell even just go for CZ or some other manmade gem variety.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20gr-Hydrothermal-Amethyst-Quartz-Lab-Created-Faceting-Rough-Stones-/152788297631

Basically I've been wondering if I could make money by cutting gems in the right colors and then selling them as anime merch :v: Sadly I do not have jewelry making skills so the settings would be basic stuff I can find online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh great are there OCs donut steal already

• Locked thread