Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

chumbler posted:

Or Bort just tearing Dia's arm off. Perhaps not the healthiest relationship.

I thought it was that Dia's arm had broken during combat from the strain of deflecting the arrows, and Bort was revealing this as a brusque way of calling out her out on trying to fight solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Wow, three episodes in and people are starting to put together cosplay items.

Check out this Phos wig

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Postal Parcel posted:

Little bit of that and a little bit of terror

It's essentially the "Deer in headlights" syndrome. Yeah, you know you should run or do anything, but the shock is so great that you just remain paralyzed.

The show is much farther along than I thought. I wonder where it plans to set down.

It seem to me that the anime is on track to get the first 4 volumes done, which is a pretty good place to wrap up. The manga has just completed volume 8 so there is even enough material for a 2nd season at some point if things go well enough.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Poor Phos, if only you were harder, better, faster, stronger.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

There Bias Two posted:

It's interesting to see the gems act this way toward Phos whereas previously they were shown to be uncurious toward pretty much everything.

I think a lot of it was that this change was a viewed as Gem thing and thus seen as relevant, while snails and flowers still "don't matter". Even so each Gems' curiosity was funneled through their particular obsession; fashion, fighting, smithing, surgery etc.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Somewhere in the world someone ponders "Do I need a car? or do I need some of that official merch?"

https://www.tasaki.co.jp/land_of_the_lustrous/character/

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

The_White_Crane posted:

I don't know if that merch is actually the relevant stones, but if anyone is curious, real phosphophylite is very loving expensive.

The phosphophyllite necklace is going for a tidy 3240000 yen so I think it might be the real deal.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
It's Gem Christmas everybody!

https://twitter.com/_NANDAYOO/status/944948667730952198

https://twitter.com/sunatoshoshi/status/944900255719374848

https://twitter.com/Spotlight_L/status/945302415007408128

https://twitter.com/BLE_arc/status/945297092020285440

https://twitter.com/zillion_969/status/945285676160839685

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Myriad Truths posted:

I watched this recently and it was quite good, but there were a few things that bugged me and I was wondering what other people thought of them.

My biggest problem was I didn't like what happened to Phos. It was so abrupt and discontinuous that it felt like a complete shift in main characters. When Phos got the leg upgrade I thought that was done pretty well. It made them more useful but it was hard to use and still didn't make up for their personality issues. But when they got the gold and platinum upgrade, they immediately shot up to become one of the strongest fighters, and all their personality issues vanished offscreen. I understand why they did in-story but I just couldn't accept it. I feel like that could have been handled better. I also kind of liked Phos more when they were useless and knew it.

I'm not sure why this is, but I thought the Lunarians got much less impressive as threats the more we learned about their backstory. It started out so strong, because their design was so weird and offputting, and we were just thrown into the setting at first. Maybe this is just because I wanted the show to be something it wasn't. Adventuring to uncover the truth about them is also interesting, but I found it made the constant attacks feel less threatening when we started ascribing motives to them.

It was certainly good though. I was impressed by how well the CG worked for the fight scenes. It could be a bit offputting for character expressions still but on the whole worked very well. I also liked the cast well in general.

I felt that Phos' initial "flaws" of being whiny, dumb, lazy and entitled were expressions of their naivete and insecurities. When Phos first loses their legs they reveal that they believe they are useless in a utilitarian society, and don't deserve any better. Phos' earlier braggadocio was a mask, just as Dia was shown to mask their insecurities about Bort. Phos is invested in finding Cinnabar a new job because they identify with Cinnabar's plight and believe that unlike themselves, Cinnabar does deserve better.

When we met Antarcticite we were introduced to someone who was very competent despite being physically weak. Phos' insecurities are such that they believed the only way they could reach Antarc's abilities would be to lose even more of them-self. After losing Antarc, Phos has been stripped of a lot of their naivete, fighting is no longer glamorous , but the insecurities remain. Nu-Phos tries to publicly model themselves after Antarc, because that is what competency looks like, even though they can no longer sleep and have inherited a new "flaw" of crying.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

AnacondaHL posted:

No, also potential hurdles could include millions of dollars and probably a robbery of a museum.

Someone could cheat and lab-grow some Emerald/Aquamarine mix to get the visual effect.

So fancy, here I was just gonna get a bowl of cheap ol' green fluorite and set up a "Genuine Phos Limbs" stand at the next local con.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

RottenK posted:

Speaking of the manga, if I remember right there's not enough of it out to have material for a second season? Or am I mistaking this for some other show I watched recently.

This season covered the first 30 or so chapters, so there is just enough material now for a second season and a wrapped up arc for a stopping point. It would be another "continued in the manga" ending however , though this time it would conclude with things ramping up rather than winding down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Like they are possessed by a... Ghost.

• Locked thread