Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the central conflict that comes up in this episode is intriguing as gently caress, this season has some surprising aots contenders with this probably being my top so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://my.mixtape.moe/bqlyxv.webm
praise be to them

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

There Bias Two posted:

I'm pretty sure boob physics don't work like that underwater. 0/10 worst anime of the season.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i forget, is it ever mentioned whether the other gems and minerals actually sleep? if not, i feel his "meditation" just being him trying to catch some zzz's may also be a lowkey hint towards that.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sindai posted:

They must go through a lot of makeup if they're all covered in it all the time.

there's a lot of talc to go around i hear

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Relin posted:

so the viewer can fetishize them

what would chaos emeralds look like in housek i no kuni

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ViggyNash posted:

I really hope this show sets the standard for cg anime in the future because it puts every other attempt to shame.

i dont know, i think the 3d parts of etotama are still the best showings of 3d animation in tv anime still

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

horriblesubs doesn't do anything, they just rip the subs from official sources

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

boboseki no kuni

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lestaki posted:

Eyes, maybe? Do they have eyes?

Do we even know how they perceive stuff? Maybe that's something the Includes do.

nah man phos could see where she was going even when she was slugging it through the snow, they can obviously perceive throughout their body

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

a kitten posted:

I have a guess about Phos' arms but I'm worried I might be right and don't want to spoil anyone.

aaaaaaaaa why isn't it Saturday

what would happen if two gem types were combined together

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

you're being way more annoying over it than the people who misgender rock people tbqh

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

especially when the source material doesn't ostensibly deal much with portraying issues of LGBT it makes you look like a huge rear end in a top hat just bitching constantly over it.

fake edit: in response to anyone stupid enough to reply back telling me no you're wrong they're obviously genderless so it's obviously 100% an LGBT issue, no it isn't. Just because they're genderless doesn't mean anything, the role it plays in the story is purely on a broader question of what constitutes humanity, not any issues over he she it them whatever. Let people gender them however way they want as long as they understand the greater underlying plot of the show.

unless something happens later in the manga that brings this specific issue up to a prevalent level, it's foolish to constantly attack people for calling the gems female when they're voiced by women and are in general way more feminine in terms of both physical appearance and mannerisms.

cit: im gay

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The_White_Crane posted:

Okay, so the show doesn't explicitly deal with queer issues. Fine.

But it is one of a very small number of media which focus on explicitly non-binary characters. There's no good justification for assigning genders to the gems when all the media very carefully avoids doing so; so doing it makes it seem as though one is uncomfortable with the idea of people who aren't men or women. (I mean, they're voiced by women? So's Bart Simpson!)
It's emotionally important to people to see themselves represented in media and when you talk about one of the few pieces of media which represents them in a manner which paints over that representation, it's going to piss people off.

There's room for a whooole huge discussion about how reasonable it is for people to be pissed off by that, and for how much it means to people to see that sort of representation of themselves in media and all that jazz, but that's a gigantic :canofworms: that I don't want to open. But I think it's worth considering that while yes, constantly bitching about it is annoying, it would also be incredibly easy for people to just write "they" exactly as they do in the show and the books, and when they deliberately choose not to do that, that also seems pretty assholish.

Going back to my original reply I'd like to rescind how assholish it sounded to completely dismiss that facet of the argument. To be honest it was more in response to how obnoxious dis was in how they were responding to other people and it reminded me too much of when I'd try attending LGBT groups in real life and seeing extremists completely shutting down anything positive said about heterosexual people like friends and family.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

also voiced by kug

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

:eyepop:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://twitter.com/antenna2667/status/945308448182243329

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Automata and night in the woods

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah. Phos is EXTREMELY unique (as is appropriate for the main character) and the manga pushes that uniqueness even further. If the Seven Elements of Buddhism theory is true, then Phos is just missing one more element: Carmelian. After that, it's anyone's guess but presumably some allegory for enlightenment somewhere.

funfact padparadscha comes from a derived word referring to lotuses which can represent the purity of humans in buddhism

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

why not post about it in the manga thread then

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

of course they dont, have you seen their mad jumps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://twitter.com/moeuuuuu/status/985331377297149952

• Locked thread