Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Jesus Christ, Marie, they're minerals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, they're not rocks, they're minerals.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Literally why do any of you give a poo poo how anybody else refers to these fictional sentient minerals?

Just don't call them rocks. It's not hard.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Sindai posted:

This is incredibly insulting to Dia and Bort and I demand you retract it.

gently caress you're right. Very hard.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

The_White_Crane posted:

It's emotionally important to people to see themselves represented in media and when you talk about one of the few pieces of media which represents them in a manner which paints over that representation, it's going to piss people off.

Are you a mineral person?

PS: the Japanese language does not handle pronouns like English does. The author is going to no great lengths at all to make them genderless. Comparing languages this way is kinda silly, and your arguments on it are just a reflection of your own attachment to minerals who don't care about LGBT issues at all.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

The_White_Crane posted:

You can make all the arguments you want about how unimportant it is and how those people are getting too upset, and hey, I even agree with you, which is why I wasn't kvetching about this for the last several pages until Disdisdis reopened the topic, but if it's so unimportant, then why are people so insistent on projecting their interpretation of gender onto the characters over the one preferred in the media itself?

Could it be that the issue is *gasp* also disproportionately important to those people too!?

I think we're on the same page, which is nice. I avoid talking about the specifics of the show here because I'm a dirty manga reader, so I don't want to pollute discussion for new folks with incidental spoilers or 'correcting' interpretations people are having; but this is absolutely one of my favorite series. I personally get frustrated that so much of the discussion around it is, frankly, hijacked by LGBT wish-fulfillment. It's a story with really strong themes around identity, personal value, and isolation - which in my view does a really great job being more than skin-deep on those topics. Phos' identity has absolutely nothing to do with how gay or genderless it may or may not be, and everything to do with the conflict between their contribution to gem-society and general incompetence. The author is literally playing out a Ship of Theseus on Phos and it's fascinating. Whether a person refers to Phos as 'he', 'she', or 'it' makes literally no difference to any of the themes of the story, but people get so hung up on it for reasons that I don't think make any sense. Gender has nothing at all to do with the series.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
For what it's worth I think this iteration of mineral-pronoun-chat has been better than its predecessors. Let's keep it up!

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

The_White_Crane posted:

And yes, you can make all the arguments you like about how people shouldn't be policing the pronouns other people use for fictional gem people in a forum thread, and yes, you're totally right that it's a loving absurd dispute, but it doesn't matter if it's absurd and trivial, because when you persist in the face of other people's displeasure you've got to own the fact that you're knowingly and intentionally upsetting other people. Now, if you think that's justified because what they're getting upset over is trivial and dumb, that's a perfectly valid outlook. I don't think it's a very nice one, but it's eminently reasonable.

Knowingly, maybe, intentionally probably not. I think another way to approach this is that you've got some options and they all involve some mental toil on one or the other [set(s) of] recipient[s]. People will be upset if you refer to them as gendered. People will be upset if you refer to them as the wrong gender (per their perceptions). Some people, apparently, will be upset if you refer to them as genderless. Some people will be upset to have to refer to characters in a series they like in a way they're uncomfortable with. There's literally no winning. In fact, someone is going to be upset that I'm daring to set up an equivalence between someone being upset about pronoun use, and someone having to adjust their pronoun use.[1]

You are welcome, of course, to come up with your own rankings as to who is hurt the most by any of these outcomes and dole out judgment or condemnation as you see appropriate.

I will just be here reading about mineral people.

[1] Found them V

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Xun posted:

Oh, I actually didn't know that. How popular is the manga? I always thought it didn't have the base to get an English translation.

The manga is very good and you should buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

dogsicle posted:

which gem are you gonna put a maga hat on for your next av

Rutile, obviously.

• Locked thread