Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Man, this show is actually gorgeous. This is the nicest-looking 3D anime I've ever watched. They're not using it to approximate 2D, they're using it to its fullest extent to make the movement super fluid and expressive all the time. It looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Try reading the manga, the translators have no idea what they're doing and will use he and she in the same sentence. From what I understand, the official one specifically goes for they/them when necessary and tries to not use pronouns as much as possible.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I really, really hope there'll be a second season of this sometime eventually. It's really really good, and man, this series gets fuckin' wild later. From what I can tell it's going over super well? I've been seeing a lot of merchandising and fanart and poo poo, so I hope blu-rays sell well.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
This adaptation is so incredibly good.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Animated "on the ones" or "on the twos" is when they do a new drawing every frame or two frames at 24 fps. It's incredibly intensive and expensive to do, and the majority of nice-looking anime is done on the threes and fours, with bursts of being done on the twos for action sequences. Almost nothing is done on the ones because it's like four times the work.

I do think a lot of the 2D sections are done on the twos! It looks really good!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
"Adamant" is the translation that a lot go for, because I believe that "Kongo" roughly translates out to "hardest" or something. Whatever Sensei's made of, it's much harder than everyone else. Keep in mind that Jade (given their vibrant green color is probably Jadeite and not Nephrite) is actually a ridiculously tough, very resistant-to-breakage material and their arm just fuckin snapped in half on Sensei. Jadeite's a metamorphic rock made up of microcrystals, which gives it a vaguely similar structure to Bort and makes it *incredibly* tough, even though it's only about a 7 on the hardness scale. The Mohs hardness scale is only for determining how resistant something is to scratching, remember.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Holy *gently caress* those fights were insanely well done, what unbelievably good choreography, jesus christ

To this day I have never quite gotten over Dia fuckin' Armstronging that Lunarian and I have been waiting for this since the show started, what a good fight

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The delivery in the show is perfect, Phos in particular. They actually animated characters around the voice acting, rather than the other way around, which is typical. Good character acting can really, really sell a joke.

It also helps that the source material is really funny, of course.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The word "they" is two letters longer than "he". It is in fact, incredibly easy.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
They decided with "Diamond" because they're being consistent with the Viz translations and their own setup. Bort yelling "BROTHER!!!" at Dia there would've been weird and stand out strangely because it'd never happened before in the localization. It's pretty simple

There Bias Two posted:

Nobody actually cares about this in the context of the show. They are fictional characters with no agency or feelings to respect. Therefore, it doesn't loving matter.

It's still really easy tho, so

Jsyk: this is actually the worst argument to be made for anything. This is just you saying you don't want to. Be more honest about it

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
"I am allowed to decide anything in fiction is exactly how I say it. Everything I say is law and you can't argue with me."

Nice

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

There Bias Two posted:

That's literally what you're saying though.

The only reason why I'm not actually going into significantly more detail is because a lot of that is manga material. I have advance knowledge on how these characters act, identify, and the implications of the storytelling surrounding the language they use and why the way the official English translations do it is a perfectly fair and accurate way of doing it. I literally can't go into extreme detail without spoiling one of the biggest mysteries of the series.

So instead I'll just say this: using nongendered pronouns is the most appropriate way to refer to the characters in English, flat. You're ignoring both the official release guidelines (since both the Viz manga and the subtitles for the anime,) and the implications behind the characters. I can totally understand doing the latter, and even the former, really, but the only way I can see that is if you're being completely arbitrary about it or just straight-up hate using nongendered pronouns. It's not any harder to do so, nor is it hard to remember, and if you claim this then I have to wonder what will happen if you ever met an actual nonbinary person. Chances are, you'd just be a slow-to-learn rear end in a top hat.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Good work, you're good at showing how good you are at reading the first sentence. Maybe you'll read deeper next time, or think about content!!

The show's imagery and a good chunk of plot beats are 100% purestrain Buddhist in nature. It's really fascinating how deep it goes on this.

Vv - I'm not going to make any more posts on this, so here's just an edit. Nothing what I said was sarcasm. What I said was you only read the first sentence and didn't read any deeper. You see, here, the joke is that I'm saying you're only doing surface-level reading of both the series in question, and also what I say.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

nielsm posted:

In my opinion, if a story has a central mystery that it spends a long time revealing, but someone explaining the basics of that mystery in a few sentences destroys any enjoyment you could have from following along in the story to slowly reach the full reveal, doesn't that just mean the story is crap? If you can perfectly summarize fifty chapters in fifty words, maybe the story spent forty-nine chapters too many, or the author is just bad.
Personally, I often enjoy a story more when I know what to look forward to, just in broad strokes. It makes me eager in anticipation of exactly how the details will come together to the conclusion I know ahead of time.

Okay cool your opinion on spoiler policy is different from most people. Nice, good work. Personally I'm the same way!!
No one should publicly spoil a mystery just because you'd be okay with it, my dude. I don't even think that knowing would harm anyone's enjoyment of the series at all, but I still don't think someone should just say what the central mystery is, jeez.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Next episode confirms that it's ending roughly where I expected it to.

Goodness. This adaptation really is incredible, hitting every single point perfectly. Not a single bad episode in the entire bunch.

Also that cut with this episode's Antarc hallucination, goddamn.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Alexandrites change color based on lighting. Typically they're green, but under incandescent light they're a reddish-purple.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Yak of Wrath posted:

The phosphophyllite necklace is going for a tidy 3240000 yen so I think it might be the real deal.

Phosphophyllite is incredibly rare, and on top of that, insanely fragile. It's very difficult to cut facets into because it's liable to just shatter everywhere. Even extremely small high-clarity gemstones run like $1,500 each, and if you do find one, it'll typically be under 1 carat.

I don't know how large that gem is, but over $30,000 for a white gold necklace with an embedded teardrop brilliant-cut phosphophyllite of that clarity actually sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Allarion posted:

I definitely remember that final Cinnabar and Phos conversation happening in the manga at some point... just not necessarily right after that arc. Unless another scene was being reffed. I'm positive most of those scenes in the final episode happen in the manga at some point though. School was new though I think

In the manga, it's not Cinnabar who gets rid of the Lunarians there, it's Amethyst. That discussion does happen further in and not immediately following that scene. They just wanted to end it off on a pretty natural point, because the best place otherwise would've been Padparadscha's talk, and then there would be 20 minutes of episode left.

• Locked thread