Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

mods change my name to generic moe fare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm going to read volume 3 of this right now

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

mods change the thread title to Land of the Lustrous: 0 Posts Since Last Pronoun Debate

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

i forget, is it ever mentioned whether the other gems and minerals actually sleep? if not, i feel his "meditation" just being him trying to catch some zzz's may also be a lowkey hint towards that.

they have individual bedrooms, and sensei definitely sleeps under guise of meditation at least sometimes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's enough manga for about two cours, but very few points at which the story could be reasonably concluded. i think this season will end around ch 28-29 while the next good point after that is near 50.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

since we're through most of vol2, i can post some of the official release stuff!

TL note on the slug siblings:

quote:

Ventricosus and Aculeatus

The names of these two creatures comes from Latin. Ventricosus, the ruler of the Admirabilis race, has a name that fittingly means "corporeal" or "of the flesh." Aculeatus means "prickly" or "barbed," which explains his taste in shell fashion. The reader may reasonably assume that the name Admirabilis is also Latin, and it means "admirable" or "astonishing."

and the manga depiction of Phos' new legs, as seen in color on the cover of vol 2:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Today I learned that the manga releases one chapter per month. :negative:

there's also the fact that scans are awful and confusingly refer to the gems exclusively with male pronouns. the official volumes really are lovely to read and i think i can handle them releasing every couple months, at least until they catch up...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the series will give more details on it later, but reconstruction like this seems uncommon (see: literally every other gem being intact) and Rutile is wary of it working at all. giving full body upgrades would be risky just from an integration standpoint, but there's also the matter of memories being stored in the body you cast off. at what point would a gem like that cease to be themselves​?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's on Amazon's AnimeStrike channel, which requires a Prime membership and a subscription to the channel itself. or :filez:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/kimono_ruu/status/924957322505367552

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

these next fews eps are going to be amazing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

their names, Amethyst 84 and Amethyst 33, are also references to the degrees at which the twin crystals form in Japan Law twinning. it's what makes the cute vaguely-heart shape like in the picture kitten posted.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/BlueDiverSky/status/930915792723595264

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't remember if the show mentioned it, but the manga has other gems mention the lunarians find phos' color uniquely appealing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Btw everyone repping Noein, it recently got licensed by Crunchyroll, you should watch it before its licence dies.

It also made me fall in love with its setting of Hakodate.

i just started it and it's insanely good, really encapsulates that period of early/mid-00's where anime just did not give a poo poo and tried all sorts of new stuff

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ccs posted:

Noein is fantastic and has a bunch of great work from "web generation" animators.

But due to some production issue episode 2 is in a completely different style from the rest of the show. It's weird.

i almost wondered if they would keep changing the style, and at least with Atori he seems to kind of defy any consistent design so that bit of it was interesting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the gloves are just plain on the inside in the manga

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my only guess on the patrols is they're meant to protect the school from attack. also if there are enough gems that some have days off, patrols would protect them if they happen to be out and about. also patrol gives purpose to otherwise unoccupied immortals.

but it's worth noting that gem/sensei logic is incredibly alien if it even exists at all.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

let's take bets on the next body part phos loses

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've got art of that

https://twitter.com/kusai3/status/931892643801399297

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I feel like the author actually is going to some lengths to make them androgynous, because their normal outfits all borrow menswear influences and the designs are even less feminine in the manga. there are also gems like antarc and several yet to appear that barely if at all register as feminine. choices like gems referring to each other as brothers or wearing frilly pajama dresses are there to show the gems have no attachment to gender as we know it. the existence of the things is definitely inviting thought on gendered presentation even if it's not a central theme of the work.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why does bort have the longest hair

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe bort hair can be used to cut bort hair

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's just a bummer that they adapted the sleepwalking omake, but not the pillow fight one. bort is an absolute pillow fight monster.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i could definitely buy the powder being protection against salt water, even though the gems only seen to care about looking "ugly" without it. seems like sensei is teaching them some weird beauty standards :thunk:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Xun posted:

Oh, I actually didn't know that. How popular is the manga? I always thought it didn't have the base to get an English translation.

i dunno how well it's doing (other than the fact that they're 3 volumes deep here) but all of the marketing for the english release cites Steven Universe, so i think they were hoping that was a niche they could jump into.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

phos has lived 300 years without getting another sibling, so yeah it seems fairly rare that they form right

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/935407528804044800

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i do think it's interesting to ponder how the loss of memories and new materials could affect the gems, but at the same time i don't wanna write off phos' arc with elements of the setting. even having read further along, i haven't stopped considering the phos we see as phos from the beginning.

i do feel like this bit of the story finally being animated and voiced really made phos' change seem starker, just like it really elevated the comedy/curiosity of the other gems.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Dia is the most :3: ever. I love how they hide behind Bort here.

:allears: (Who is the gem here with the blue hair and eyes, btw?)

blue hair is Benitoite, partner with Neptunite (purple/black hair with twintails)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sensei's laser stuff is just him throwing tiny fragments of gems (pieces of himself? junk gathered from Chord Shore?) but all the rest of this stuff is addressed later in the story... just probably not in the anime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Squidster posted:

Come on, at least put that under a manga spoiler or something.

you can literally see the gems he throws fly at the screen in an earlier episode. it's a case where the anime has made it way more obvious than the manga did.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tbh even as a manga reader i don't know with 100% certainty what they are but the anime sure makes them seem like gem bits

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Haruko Ichikawa's artbook is available for order on amazon.jp again, if anybody else is interested.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've read the manga too, and the scans get so bad that i can't imagine taking any degree of nuance from them as lore law, or whatever. can y'all just stop the petty pronoun fight that shouldn't even have been kicked up again

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

which gem are you gonna put a maga hat on for your next av

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hello short hair Bort

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

androgynous character designs are fairly common in anime i would say, but they're usually in service of beautiful man/handsome woman archetypes or gags or even worse uh "jokes." though off the top of my head, Nanachi from last season's Made in Abyss was androgynous both in presentation and pronouns. Kaiba, having similar themes of memory/identity as LotL, also has characters swapping and living in bodies regardless of sex and gender though the bodies themselvesare definitely gendered so ymmv.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

do you not see how that term, even in scarequotes, could contribute to the dumbass belief that trans people are deceitful and thus make real people uncomfortable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there was even a pretty good mmo romcom anime this season

• Locked thread