Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Welcome to the thread for Fall 2017 anime, Houseki no Kuni (English title: Land of the Lustrous)! This is a cg animated show with a premise that may remind some of Steven Universe. It's about a tribe of sentient gem agender people that are in a continuous existential struggle against moon Bodhisattva monsters that want to turn them into jewelry. Their society is hierarchical based on the hardness rating (how difficult it is to shatter) of the gems, and if they get shattered they can be reconstituted so they are effectively immortal as long as they don't get taken by the moon people. While I was initially highly skeptical of this show the first two episodes have won me over on the strength of its characters. This is perhaps the first time the CG actually works.

The main cast:

Phos: Hardness level 3.5. Phos is a giant gently caress up and kind of an idiot, and as the most useless gem in battle has largely been lazing around. She's finally given a purpose when the Master asks her to compile an encyclopedia, a task she still seems completely unequipped for.

Cinnabar: Hardness level 2.0. She's the outcast of the group, as she is a dirty birdie and leaves a trail of toxic slime everywhere, so her duty is night patrol (the enemy only ever attacks during the day). She wants nothing more than to kill herself, so Phos has taken it upon herself to find a better purpose and reason to live for Cinnabar.

Diamond: Hardness level 10. One of the most powerful gems, but is insecure about her ability in com bat

Bort: Hardness level 10. I don't know what a Bort is but she is the most powerful of the gems and can kill pretty much anything. Tsundere?

Rutile: Hardness level 6.0. She's the group's medic, who reconstitutes the gems after they get shattered. Phos thinks shes a "quack."

Also the manga has some pretty sick art:

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwFpAyEuph8

As always, please spoiler discussions of the manga

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
please stop

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
that episode was so good, i like how phos took issue with the snail calling itself "king" after seeing its massive knockers

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i could definitely buy the powder being protection against salt water, even though the gems only seen to care about looking "ugly" without it. seems like sensei is teaching them some weird beauty standards :thunk:

ive just assumed the main reason for the way the gems dress is sensei's weird fetishes

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
https://twitter.com/reimeiacademy/status/933628845478912000

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Ponies Ist Krieg posted:

Yeah, I'm not really talking about explicitly transfemme charectors or cd stuff there's like eight bazillion animes with that theme. They are pretty much all universally creepy and bad. But thanks for the suggestions ppl.

kino of kino's journey might count for what you're looking for.

also you may like the anime wandering son which specifically explores transgender themes

e: also please gtfo PerrineClostermann

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

dogsicle posted:

there was even a pretty good mmo romcom anime this season

yeah anime had a real good year. hell just this season land of the lustrous and girls last tour have both consistently blown me away with their quality, not to mention shows that are just really solid fun like mmo junkie

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the op and ed shipped cinnabar and phos so heavily and then they interact like five times all season 0/10 worst anime ever

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
as of the end of the anime, have we seen all of the 28 alive (now 27) gems mentioned in episode 1 yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i haven't read the manga but i think part of the point of the story is lunarian attacks have been escalating in scope and complexity recently, probably driven by phos getting a bug up their rear end about trying to be useful finally and being extremely desirable to the lunarians, and repeatedly going to some of the most dangerous areas for their appearances

and some of the hazards that have destroyed phos's limbs are because of uniquely phos risks, none of the other gems just wander off into the ocean or are awake during winter to get their arms eaten by ice floes

• Locked thread