Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Can't wait for a mica girl to show up.

She'll have nice ... cleavage. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

I wanna find some nail polish in Phos' colour. :3:

https://superblacklacquers.com/collections/super-black-lacquers/products/the-whale

They used to advertise on here all the time.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Finally got around to watching this.

Bort is certainly ... abrasive :smug:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I was gonna bring up Knights of Sidonia too, because Izana uses male pronouns (most of the time?) but has a female VA.

I think Izana even switches pronouns for a little bit at some point. I think it might have been in the dresses episode? Then switches back once Tanikaze is around.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

They're rocks, likely with no concept of gender. That it may appear in their language is just anachronism or translation.

I cite Vaarsuvius from Order of the Stick: V gets referred to as both he or she by various characters, by entirely their own interpretation or perception. The elves just don't care, because their language has such constructs as 'other parent' rather than father or mother, a hint that gender does not factor into their language or culture.

Agency is the social currency. You want it when you have little, and you should pay it out when you have a lot. It's a matter of agency to define one's own pronouns. Policing for someone else's pronouns is not giving them agency (unless they asked you to), in fact it's probably taking away their agency that they can't just let it slide.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I refer to my car as 'she' as a term of endearment. My car has as much concept of gender as these gem persons.

How dare people just not know what to call them in the first place and make a best guess based on appearance.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Knorth posted:

people are incredibly touchy about having how they refer to people corrected

Its the how of being corrected. "They're agender" "Oh, okay."

Suggesting people be banned, even as a lovely joke, is over the top. Good job Endorph, you got me to bite.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

dogsicle posted:

there's also the matter of memories being stored in the body you cast off. at what point would a gem like that cease to be themselves​?

This is a cool invocation of the Ship of Theseus, because on the other hand you could eventually gather the parts they're leaving behind and perhaps have a separate entity with all their previous memories? They would be 'old' memories though, while the continuously existing example would have new memories. Which one actually carries their identity?

Or is there some 'critical component' in each of them that activates what's connected? Maybe something in-between like a heavily weighted quorum, which wouldn't be reliable if Phos adding new 'nodes' to the cluster though. Does the new material not store memories?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

feels like sidonia in the sense that the horrible inexorable enemy often take something of value from the heroes

I think everybody was primed to think of Sidonia if they'd seen it because King ended up looking just like Tsumugi, not to mention also CG.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Finally caught up. Should I mention gold forms an amalgam with mercury?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

My guess is that Sensei is granite or some similar rock.

Sensei is far more likely a carbide. Tungsten carbide is denser than boron carbide, and only the latter stands between it and diamond in hardness. Boron carbide is actually two-thirds the density of diamond, compared to tungsten carbide which is four and a half times denser than diamond. That Sensei casually integrates with walls suggests high density.

Sensei, having a bit more volume than an average human (closer to two) and being made entirely of tungsten carbide, would weigh a ton. A literal metric ton. Around 2000kg.

Boron carbide would make a neat gemfriend. Nearly the hardness of diamond, but far lighter. :science:

But all of this talk of hardness actually belies toughness. You can shatter a perfect diamond with a hammer, and the show has gotten this right. There are way too many variables to express toughness though. Yielding versus fracturing leads to crazy charts like this one

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 4, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

RottenK posted:

Do Phos's golden alloy arms being accepted and animated by their inclusion organisms mean that there could potentionally be beings similar to the gem people, but made out of metals?

I think being transparent or at least translucent is important, to absorb light. Even though I still think Sensei is a carbide, the fragments floating around in the screenshots a few pages back are transparent and the finger snap to make them suggests they aren't coming from somewhere else. I don't think we've seen any gemfriends that are entirely opaque.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

RottenK posted:

but Sensei has no translucent parts on his body, so i would assume that the way the light gets converted into energy doesn't require that

I'd figure the powder doesn't block UV or IR or whichever wavelengths they actually feed on, but on the other hand we've not seen that Sensei actually wears the powder. Again, the fragments though.

Plants are green because they don't absorb as much green for photosynthesis as red or blue. One could argue this is why they leave their 'hair' uncovered. Because the inclusions don't appear to block or absorb visible light, I wouldn't figure they absorb it for sustenance, instead they abosrb UV or IR.

Or, maybe, each gemfriend's inclusions have their own 'diet', and each only thrives when their inclusions match up with the wavelengths that can pass through their material. The 'failures' on the coast are those whose inclusions' needs don't match their transparencies. Bort could absorb a lot of IR, and the large surface area would help. Few of the others would absorb IR at all.

I doubt the source material is quite this nerdy anyway.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 11, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I don't normally watch PVs, but I'm glad I did on a rewatch.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

iospace posted:

That is so derpy looking it's adorable

They all kinda are, but that's the best one.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Rock salt.

Incidentally, this is probably why the butterflies were landing on Phos. The male butterflies will gather sodium and other mineral salts and present it to their mates. While they were probably just after the sea spray, they could have been trying to eat Phos too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Density is always my determinant when it comes to Sensei. I've leaned towards titanium carbide for a while. Cubic boron nitride might be a better fit, it's clear and goes with the 'artificial' idea, but isn't nearly as dense (hardly as dense as diamond). Cubic titanium nitride is totally a thing though, even if it only comes in nanoparticles, but then Sensei would be as bling as Phos.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

He could be covered head to toe in that powder though.

See here. If those fragments are from Sensei (the finger snap), they're a good indicator of clear colorless crystal.

That's what kinda rules out titanium carbide (I liked the 'literally weighs a ton' interpretation of that) but rules in cubic boron nitride or other cubic artificials. Cubic zirconia would work too, and is denser than diamond, but isn't crazy hard.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Do they sell Phos leg socks somewhere? I'd be surprised if that wasn't a thing.

I find some spiral tights online that are close, but are black on sheer so you'd have to wear them over white and the sheer would kinda ruin it. I don't find anything on Amazon, here or JP, nor Aliexpress even (though they do have all the uniforms and wigs.)

I'd sooner make them in iridescent latex, 0.20 if you can find it, with the white layer on top. Do note that the white bands are actually pearl white, not the skin powder, so this would look correct, buy obviously for cosplay not daily wear.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Cronodoculous posted:

I'm just sad that the prettiest one with the big hair goes back to sleep so soon after they fix her. I want more of her.

I kinda don't get why Rutile doesn't just use some of that hair to fill the holes instead of whatever is found lying around...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Toxic introverts need love too, y'know.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

I just like cute things

Male, female, human, rock, slug, if they're cute, I like them

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

nielsm posted:

Could I get Diamond performing as an idol please?

There are Bort and Dia models for MMD, which I've seen the later converted into a VRChat avatar. I couldn't quite decipher the password over on 3d.nico though. I haven't found a Phos yet.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I remember now: They're actually on Bowlroll. You can't find the Dia and Bort via the search, but here's a few others.

Here's the page with Dia and Bort. If someone can figure out what the password is, please kick it my way.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Password distribution is prohibited, but I figured it out.

Ah, I was just using the wrong video number the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Nah, just broken textures due to mojibake. Bort is fine. Dia has a few too many polys in the hair. I've seen far worse.

Edit: Huh, if you figure Sensei is two meters tall (Budda was 6'7" to 6'10" by what I find, it fits) then Bort and most of the gems are just ~140cm or 4'7"

I'm referencing a shot on the beach in episode 5 which isn't too foreshortened. A scene in episode 8 puts Antarcticite at 155cm (5'1") in heels, though Sensei might be bending a little.

Unrelated: I just noticed Phos's gold transformation comes with opening like a lotus flower.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 23, 2018

• Locked thread