Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo, this show is pretty. I'm gonna have to read the manga now.

:syoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got to thinking about the character design in this series. It's interesting to note that the grand majority of the gendered characteristics we see are tertiary, in the sense that their bodies don't actually have a sex - the only things moving them "one way or the other" (to be binarist) are their clothes, hairdos, and voices. These are all things that they've applied to themselves or have been applied by the reader/author. These don't seem to have any particular connotation to the characters themselves, though, and it's the observer that says "this one has long-ish hair, therefore that's a feminine hairstyle, therefore female". I wonder if this was intentional, or an artifact of the author's personal tastes.

I've still generally seen people default to female pronouns when describing these characters on first encountering them - even though said characters use male or agender/nonbinary pronouns in describing themselves and others. I wonder why people gravitate in this direction? Is it their body type, which doesn't resemble the masculine ideal or its common perception? Is it their clothes somehow, even though it's intentionally ambiguous with the combination of dress shirts, shorts, and heels? Or is it their voices, given that they're all voiced by women? How do people interpret the gems when first encountering them in the manga, as opposed to the anime?

This is an interesting study in how people gender characters given particular clues and traits, or lack thereof.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nice butts don’t really have a gender tho

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The hip/waist ratio does though, they have extremely feminine body types. Add in the voices and hair and people defaulting to calling them by female pronouns makes a lot of sense. For instance Diamond is one of the most feminine characters in anything I'm watching this season, not female, but definitely feminine.

Hmm, yeah, I think you’re right. There’s basically one body type for all the gems, and they’re lithe, hippy, and fair. That’s the deciding factor I think, that body type has zero association with men (more specifically, with the effects of testosterone) and is almost universally taken as feminine.

I’ll be honest, it’s really hard to see male pronouns being used for these characters. I understand they use ore and boku, but while those are strongly associated with men in Japanese, they’re not exclusively male, just masculine. I wonder if the text is being translated properly...I’d have to see the raws and analyze the speech patterns. There’s the question of “brothers” and “niichan” and all that stuff too, which makes me curious how it’s used.

Either way, I’m pretty solidly in the they/their/them camp for pronouns.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ViggyNash posted:

Whether or not the characters themselves have an inherent gender, their design is obviously generic moe fare. I also don't think it's that much of a problem because the show doesn't seem to take itself all that seriously. It's a dumb and pretty show about rock-girls.

But I still hate Phos. Maybe now that there's something only she can do, she'll be a more interesting character.

Having caught up with the entire series, I can tell you that you should not be concerned.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

They’re clearly capable of drawing different body types, as seen with Master - they just seem to have a preference. :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

pull up thread

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Make Agender Gems Awesome

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I learned that the manga releases one chapter per month. :negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ranzear posted:

This is a cool invocation of the Ship of Theseus, because on the other hand you could eventually gather the parts they're leaving behind and perhaps have a separate entity with all their previous memories? They would be 'old' memories though, while the continuously existing example would have new memories. Which one actually carries their identity?

Or is there some 'critical component' in each of them that activates what's connected? Maybe something in-between like a heavily weighted quorum, which wouldn't be reliable if Phos adding new 'nodes' to the cluster though. Does the new material not store memories?

They get into this in the manga, which I don't think we're gonna hit by the end of this series. It's complicated.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Amethysts banging their heads together will never not freak me out.

Speaking of, I assume it's because they have the exact same hardness that one or both of them don't shatter. Does that actually happen in real life?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DisDisDis posted:

Wait lmao they wear the same outifts

Sorry everybody, this means all the gems are men.

Yes, even when they wear dresses

Kinda surprised you’re into that compared to ur avatar

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Isn’t diamond brittle? Just snap it off.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Growing your own gems sounds a little more romantic to me than buying one, maybe that’s just me. I wonder how long it takes to make antarcticite.

Which reminds me, given how we see chunks of non-living gems and metals/elements all over the shore, it looks like there’s something special about the process Phos and the others came from...and you can’t just randomly make new gem people.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Phobophilia posted:

for close up 2d scenes, is it just me, or are they animated in ones or twos? not threes?

What do you mean?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There Bias Two posted:

RIP Phos.

She still exists technically, but the changes have made her a very distinct character from the previous Phos.

Yeah, that's not Phos anymore. Looks like we're finally seeing that Ship of Theseus stuff kick in.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm gonna have to pick some up next year.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

2017 had a lot of good anime and it's hard to pick an AOTY.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cinnabar Did Nothing Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress just happened?

• Locked thread