Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

I've noticed a fairly minor but annoying thing in the past few weeks, apologies if this has been mentioned already this is just a huge thread and I'm finally fed up with this:

I'm on iOS 17.3.1 on an iPhone 12 Pro, and you used to be able to long-tap on an image to open it bigger, especially in a quoted post with images. Now, it seems you have to hold your tap for several indeterminate seconds in order to have this happen. It eventually happens, but I can't figure out the timing now and it takes me several attempts to get it to work, successively holding down on the image longer and longer until it works. I'll try to get a video of it but thought I'd mention just in case it's something to which I'm just oblivious, but it drives me nuts.

Check out the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Brain Curry posted:

Check out the thread title

Literally only saw it after I posted, then saw your post lmao

I guess just live with it then? Didn't see it mentioned in the first post so any context or should I just go to desktop and search?

EDIT: it seems to be generalized to all long-press operations, not just blowing up images for anyone wondering about the cryptic title, here's a post followed immediately by some better context for anyone else Kramering in here about this.

Gomez Chamberlain fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 15, 2024

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Here's a bug I found during my long press adventures. I moved my finger a little during long pressing and got the translucent thumbnail of the image. I released and the thumbnail stayed on the screen and wouldn't clear, even going to another thread; it just stayed hovering (and movable) over the thread list. Not sure if that's helpful for trying to squash the long press bug, but it's there.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I can’t tell if this is a bug or not but I occasionally run into an issue where I go into a thread that’s mid page but the swipe up to select previous posts doesn’t appear. You have to go back a page and forward and then it’ll show up.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Re: long press on images: tap and hold for 3 seconds seems to work every time, pseudo-scientifically.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Grace Baiting posted:

DON'T BELIEVE HER LIES,

I've been saying this

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

...! posted:

I've been saying this

:nsamad:   your churlish steez has no place in such a refined forum as this

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone getting “The data is not in the correct format” for the Imgur Uploader shortcut?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

obi_ant posted:

Anyone getting “The data is not in the correct format” for the Imgur Uploader shortcut?

Yeah imgur is hosed again our only hope is that astral's attachments 1.1 and 2.0 can be quickly incorporated into the app.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I learned my lesson a while ago: If I notice something annoying with awful.app just go to thread and read. No posting required. They know. They provide.

Thanks yall.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah imgur is hosed again our only hope is that astral's attachments 1.1 and 2.0 can be quickly incorporated into the app.

wait, do those things exist?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Subjunctive posted:

wait, do those things exist?

I mean, when they do.

astral posted:

Second or so thing on my to-do list once I've got time again is to get attachments up from 1.0 to 1.1 where they aren't stored in the database so they can have reasonable filesize/dimension limits.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Database blobs should be really cheap these days since they get handled as different storage types from typical fields, I think, but sure that’s great I guess for the cases where people want to use the current attachment model (which I believe to be roughly zero, honestly).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feels like that’s more than a 1.0 to 1.1 kind of change though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I’m just not sure why that’s worth any effort at all, when that time could be spent moving 2.0 along, but I’m not the product manager here obviously.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Tapping an external link on my m1 iPad pro crashes the awful app

Imgur link, Twitter container, etc

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mister Facetious posted:

Tapping an external link on my m1 iPad pro crashes the awful app

Imgur link, Twitter container, etc

I can’t reproduce it, but if you switch the browser choice in the app settings menu, it will likely fix it. I blame web views, as always.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
switching the browser seems to have worked.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I’m on an old-rear end iPhone 7 that’s as up to date as it can get at 15.8.2. I’m having an issue where the app completely locks up any time I go into the Rap Sheet/Leper’s Colony. Doesn’t matter if I show the full thing or click through a profile to only show one person.

I’ve tried clearing the cache, switching browser, restarting the phone and all the normal fixes I could think of. Is this just a case of phone-too-old?

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I’m on an old-rear end iPhone 7 that’s as up to date as it can get at 15.8.2. I’m having an issue where the app completely locks up any time I go into the Rap Sheet/Leper’s Colony. Doesn’t matter if I show the full thing or click through a profile to only show one person.

I’ve tried clearing the cache, switching browser, restarting the phone and all the normal fixes I could think of. Is this just a case of phone-too-old?

Same issue, same phone.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I believe it is exactly this. I had one of those for quite a while myself. Now I have an iPhone11 thats up to date and clicking on someone with a long rap sheet can sometimes take a long time to come up. It will eventually, if I am patient. But on my old iPhone7 it would just lock the app up entirely.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Amazing it’s 2024 and we can’t post Jpegs on a message board

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Hey goons I made a thing to upload pictures to postimages thanks to someone else reverse engineering their API:

https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/issues/472

Taking a screenshot and uploading via a shortcut:

Here's the shortcut:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/aac0490fbdb349a1bd78dab37b5d7d67

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/05a19d6803b444a98e1f5577e693d9d1
(this one has a menu to copy the url or timg code)

Someone better than me can play with the shortcut a bit and post an even better version.

There is an API token in the shortcut which was just obtained by right click view source. It's the same token that's posted in that GitHub.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 19, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
test

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Testing

It seems to work but doesn’t automatically make the link go to the clipboard.

Thanks!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Testing

Thanks!

Yeah I forgot to add that in. The shortcut I uploaded you need to tap on the notification/alert and then manually copy. Someone else can fix the shortcut I'm too tired and my catboss is questioning my use of company time.

E: please don't do anything dumb like uploading the shortcut to Reddit or one of those shortcut repository websites. I'm not sure how often/if that website changes their api token but if they did then the shortcut is dead until someone fixes it.

E2: added a new version that asks if you want to copy the url, timg code, or quick look to see the url (to pass into another shortcut, for example)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 19, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Testing

Thanks!

I fixed it:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/05a19d6803b444a98e1f5577e693d9d1

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You are amazing

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Test

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I looked a while ago at adding native support to them in the app, but they didn’t have an appropriate API for it. Hopefully that’s better now.

If you wanted to take another look the GitHub issue I posted should give you enough information to make a POST call to upload a picture. All I did was take that and turn it into a shortcut. The POST returns a json object with a key "url" to the image upload page with the different url formats (and a link to delete the image, which might be useful?). I had to do a regex to get the direct url from there.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 19, 2024

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Grace Baiting posted:

Putting aside my slight shitposting for a second, plz set the menu order to stay with its ordering when the ellipsis is in the lower half of the screen, where Quote is most accessible to thumbs:

Keeping it this way even when the ellipsis is in the upper half of the screen would be great!!

All this applies to the user-specific menu too:

This order is superior to the upper-half-of-screen reverse order coz Profile should be most thumb-accessible.

And regardless of fixing those two menus to their bottom-half-of-screen orders...

Big +1's to making the Report Post and the Ignore User items red!!!

Love the newly-fixed order of the in-thread popup menu items, from the new TestFlight build!!!

Hate that "Report" (in the per-post ellipsis menu) and "Ignore User" (in the user menu) are now fixed to the bottom of each menu 😢   Devs plz reverse the orders of these popup menus so that those two buttons are permanently relegated to the top, and place the most useful buttons ("Quote" and "Profile", respectively) in the most accessible slot at the bottom of each menu

(Also another request to make those least-innocuous menu items written in red!)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you wanted to take another look the GitHub issue I posted should give you enough information to make a POST call to upload a picture. All I did was take that and turn it into a shortcut. The POST returns a json object with a key "url" to the image upload page with the different url formats (and a link to delete the image, which might be useful?). I had to do a regex to get the direct url from there.

Yeah, I hacked up a prototype of this before but without a way to get a “legal” API key I worry that it would be too fragile and lead to a stampede of complaints and frustration if/when postimages invalidated the key. I guess I’ll see what happens with ShareX!

Thanks for looking into this!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I hacked up a prototype of this before but without a way to get a “legal” API key I worry that it would be too fragile and lead to a stampede of complaints and frustration if/when postimages invalidated the key. I guess I’ll see what happens with ShareX!

Thanks for looking into this!

I just created an account on the website and was able to pull a custom(?) key from

https://postimages.org/login/api

The key is different from the one you see when you right click view source on the main page.

They also have this message in their plugins page:

quote:

Please contact us if you have any problems or questions. We can even help you integrate your website with us for free!

Might be worth having someone shoot them an email I suppose.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 19, 2024

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

rafikki posted:

Is there any way to fix the behavior where tapping on a quoted post takes you to any new posts in the thread, if there have been some since you loaded whatever page you’re on? It works like expected, taking you to the quoted post if no one has replied to the thread since opening it, but fast moving threads can make it unusable.

Bumping this in case anyone has time to check it out. Pretty minor in the grand scheme of things but it is annoying in fast moving threads.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It works 🙏

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tiny visual bug I noticed: When you swipe left to return to a thread the bottom bar goes blank and grey during the swipe. Not a big deal but it's there.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

:woop:

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks Boris!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Testing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

rafikki posted:

Is there any way to fix the behavior where tapping on a quoted post takes you to any new posts in the thread, if there have been some since you loaded whatever page you’re on? It works like expected, taking you to the quoted post if no one has replied to the thread since opening it, but fast moving threads can make it unusable.

rafikki posted:

Bumping this in case anyone has time to check it out. Pretty minor in the grand scheme of things but it is annoying in fast moving threads.

+1 on this, it is especially easily reproducible on a page with a quote of another post on that same page (you can just "mark as last read" somewhere down the page and then tap on the same-page quote tag; repeat as often as desired!)