Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I post in this thread, apostrophes are stripped between compose and preview. People already think I’m an idiot, so no real harm, but weird. On the TestFlight channel.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861354&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can we start scraping https://www.twitter.com and mobile.twitter.com? Maybe it’s bad to diverge from the site there, I dunno. (Why doesn’t the site do it?)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

What do you mean?

I mean that we auto expand “twitter.com” links, but not “www.twitter.com” or “mobile.twitter.com” ones.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

star eater posted:

could it be that the swipe to next page only activates if you’ve solidly hit the bottom? like, momentum from swiping up can’t activate it from the top or middle of a thread, only if you’re already at the bottom?

Yeah, that’s my preference.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think you can do the tag auto-closing with just regexes. You need to work backwards to track matched pairs, so you’d have to reverse the string, do the search, manage an arbitrarily deep capture set, and generally befoul things. I loaned a friend my laptop, but I suspect a straight port of the old logic into Swift would be reasonable.

Also, when replying to a PM, the text area doesn’t resize out of the way of the keyboard, so you end up with text and caret hidden underneath it. I bet that’s on the list somewhere.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ratbert90 posted:

You don’t need to reverse the string, you just have to traverse backwards. :v:

You can’t run regexes backwards, AFAIK.

The old code traversed backwards, indeed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ratbert90 posted:

That is true. However, the old saying goes:

If you are trying to solve a problem using regex, you now have two problems. :v:

Sure, I am recommending against them in this case! (The quote happens to be from a friend of mine, in fact.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You’re roughly describing how the ObjC I wrote before worked (though tags are more than one character, you don’t want to “close” [*] or look inside [code] tags, and other incursions of reality). The code (and test cases) will be in the GitHub history if you want to look at it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What type of data is in the clipboard?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why do share sheets take so long to pop up? It’s not just Awful, but it definitely affects Awful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Two things that don’t work in the current beta:

- tapping on entries in someone’s rap sheet, and
- tapping on “go to awful’s thread” in settings

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, I think it’s because of lovely JS from Twitter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brain Curry posted:

I can’t tap on any forums links at all in the latest beta. I can long press and copy the links but that’s it

That’s the case for me as well, though clicking “Goon posted” links to quoted posts works.

I’ll try to remember to watch the status bar.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Most recent beta also seems to have broken the “parent forum” button. It’s a bloodbath in here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PleasureKevin posted:

is the app reading my clipboard?

When you switch to it, yes. That’s how it offers to open forums URLs in-app. You can disable that in settings.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Should be fixed in the next beta.

:toot:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could make it forum-keyed, like autocapitalize is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did that get fixed in the most recent beta? It was fixed for the PM case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pirate Radar posted:

I just got logged out of the app while I wasn’t using it. Did something break?

Happened to me the other day in both app and a browser.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Works for me on the beta build, running iOS 11.4.1 on a 6S+.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

boop the snoot posted:

How do I/Can I get links to threads to open in the awful app rather than in the browser?

Settings > Default Browser > Awful

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838405 and others which I think share the same thread icon are showing a black X now since the update.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A bobbin of thread?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Tempted to mash release on the current beta but it still has the X icon for "missing tag". Should I ship it or revert it?

I think revert, tbh. It looks pretty broken.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It seems like the several-a-day crashes I get are almost certainly webkit resource exhaustion, based on symptoms that appear around the same time, but then I find myself wondering why that doesn't happen to the webkit browsers I use. Does the app destroy and recreate webviews, or is it just one that lives until something bursts?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, mobile-friendliness is part of search ranking now. Good thing posting quality isn’t!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, you nailed it Pokeypal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Never leave the app for more than a minute. Done and dusted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Crashlytics has it. My "fix" for the memory leak broke in the other direction. I'll take a look this weekend.

That fix was hot awesome on beta, FWIW.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can we either

a) move “PM” to the end of the user action list, or
b) have “PM” always present but greyed out without plat

so that the position of the last two items don’t change depending on whether or not the targeted user has plat? I don’t like UI that moves or disappears, generally!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

lol who’s your alt?

No, I mean when the person I tap on doesn’t have plat the rap sheet button is in a different place, because PM disappears.

If I had an alt it would have plat, I’m classy like that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grassy Knowles posted:

This isn't a bug; this is how you can reply to multiple users and you're adding the quote to the post you were editing, not prepending the old post to a new reply

It’s a bug that it happens with edit, IMO. Having the quote button re-enter an edit is very weird semantically.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

Gonna hop on my design box:

I think adding stuff like that, when it's easily accessible through the iOS control panel, only puts Awful in a worse place of bloat. It would be better to get into the habit of toggling it at the OS level and building up that muscle memory to make it feel seamless.

Awful is 100% of the reason I have rotation lock in my control center.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not usefully, since the site doesn’t accept HTML.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

That�s what it does now :) learned that the hard way.

Wait, what? The site accepts raw HTML and doesn’t encode it itself?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

The newreply endpoint expects win1252 so anything outside of that gets turned into a numeric entity per the html spec.

Oh of course, it’s form-encoded, not HTML. Duh.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The post here (above mine about dithering) doesn’t show the poster’s name.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796985&perpage=40&pagenumber=43#post488883297

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Poster name is displaying now so :iiam:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it seems to fix itself? Like holding on the link brings up the options to open in safari or whatever but tapping it doesn’t do anything.

Not a huge deal just kinda weird.

TBH if the long press menu had an “Open” entry to just do the default action (internal browser for me), I wouldn’t mind the dead-link situation very much at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stare-Out posted:

Having the app on in the background (on the bookmarks page) and accessing it makes all the threads on it unresponsive. I can still scroll the list but tapping on the threads does nothing. Restarting fixes it. Might have something to do with the app being on for extended periods of time but I can't confirm that.

Are you on the public release or the beta? I used to get that, but haven’t in a while with the latest betas.