Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Hey I’m loving this app and have used it for a couple year now, since I switched to iPhone.
Just ran into a thread that doesn’t work. I suspect there’s some problem with the huge number of YouTube embeds but I really don’t know for sure.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902122&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1

Several of the pages of that thread will load for a bit, show a few posts, then reload, and repeat ad infinitum.

iPhone 11 on IOS 15.7. Model MWLT2QN/A. Awful 6.1

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Is that thread full of YouTube links? That’s probably why.

Yes, it is. Links as well as embeds.

Is there a particular reason that it wouldn't work in the app? Should I expect that thread to stay broken?

What's the workaround - should I disable youtube embeds?

Relatedly, I've noticed that Something Awful is an interesting workaround for "youtube app pauses playback when I lock screen on my phone" - if using the Awful app! Something (IOS?) lets me pop out running videos to a PiP thing, and that can be swiped off-screen to the right to keep it playing even when locking the screen. Awesome! (Yeah, it probably works for lots of other apps but just let me be happy about SA here for a minute.)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 19, 2022

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Each embed has to load before the page renders (I think? I’m not a dev), so that would be the delay. YouTube embeds take a while to load, especially over cellular where the carriers throttle YouTube speed.

It’s not the delay, it the dying and reloading, as Subjunctive correctly inferred. But then I guess it’s pretty hopeless to get this to work on iPhone?

Sounds like the dream scenario would be a “dynamic” renderer which stops following YouTube links and embeds when a thread starts to run big on memory.

I’m a software dev, but I’m not into the Apple ecosystem at all so I guess it’s not that easy to just dive in and give it a shot.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 19, 2022

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Subjunctive posted:

Logout purges the cache, which is everything. If you log out it has no data kept that was related to your login.

That's not a terrible idea from a security standpoint, if we anticipate that multiple SA users will be sharing a device.

I think that's a bad assumption in today's world though, so I think having a separate action to clear the cache makes sense from a UX perspective as well as security.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I've been hearing everyone in this thread whining about all the problems with the beta app so much that I've felt better just sitting pretty with the app store version. Works fine for me!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Subjunctive posted:

Pokeyman is still active, so I assume that he’s ignoring the app for a reason. (Like “sick of it” which is a fine reason.)

I don’t have strong feelings about forking etc but isn’t “sick of it and hasn’t touched for months” kind of the definition of “not active”? Who says pokey is going to return to active development, ever?

If anyone is in touch, I’d suggest asking about his plans…

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Are they actually saying that anonymous uploads will no longer be possible?

I'm not sure I'm getting that from the blog post.

Deleting old content, yes, looks like, but it's open to intepretation what they mean by "old, unused, and inactive content that is not tied to a user account". Does it mean "has not been viewed for X months" or does it mean "posted more than X months ago", or what?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mister Facetious posted:

I can't even use a pencil with my right hand

After having basically not done handwriting since I got a smartphone ca 2010, I can say with emphasis that as a right-handed person, neither can I.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So this would be a good time to jump into the beta, I take it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

spankmeister posted:

No just update it manually from the app store, you'll get 6.2

Ah, thanks, that makes sense. I was wrongly assuming the main app was orphaned from the talk a few pages ago.

Seems to work great, posting from it now!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Android Apocalypse posted:

If there's one request to make for this app I'll love to see swiping left be utilized for bringing back to the parent thread.

What even is a “parent thread” on SA?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I never heard of this smiley keyboard feature before and have not used it. Just one data point I guess.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Could we have an app setting to trim sigs?

(Do we already have one?)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Works fine here.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

`Nemesis posted:

The twitter replacement Bluesky is now viewable without an account, and posts are also embeddable. For example, sharing a bluesky skeet link in Discord is embedded.

Here is a random link to a skeet with a picture of a cat.

https://bsky.app/profile/lambheart.bsky.social/post/3khacl72wdk2r

can we get Bluesky embeds please?

That doesn’t actually work for someone without an account though. Instead of a picture of a cat, I get the message “Sign-in required” and a link to Learn More.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The_Doctor posted:

Update: Awful won’t save any of my smiley favourites. If I close the app, it’s blank upon reopening. :(

Same.

E: On the other hand I don’t think I’d ever used that feature unless you had pointed it out to me right now.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 29, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

MarcusSA posted:

The inverted menu thing is fuckin stupid

I don’t mind it at all, actually. Felt really natural.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
E: nvm

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 1, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Anyone else get an app crash when following an external link from the app?

Right now it’s crashing every time for me. I’m on the app store release, iOS 17.3.1.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Anyone else get an app crash when following an external link from the app?

Right now it’s crashing every time for me. I’m on the app store release, iOS 17.3.1.

I upgraded to 17.4 and the issue persists.

The app closes witout any error message whenever i touch a link. No matter if it’s a hyperlink or some other object that links out (like an embed).

Can I somehow generate a crash log for the devs?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

chglcu posted:

I was also getting this, started a few days ago, both in normal app and testflight. Switching to default ios browser instead of Awful seems to have fixed it.

That worked for me, too!

I could have sworn I’d already set the app to use the default browser long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

MarcusSA posted:

So back to the having to hold for 10 seconds on an image issue. One weird thing I’ve noticed is that after you have done it for one image the next one you press pops up in the appropriate amount of time lol.

Only if you press the same image the second time, right? If I try two different ones in a row, I get the long delay on each.